Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Applying for North Carolina CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Howdy, y'all.

Things are changing, and the Wife and I spoke of moving to North Carolina after the lease is just about done here.

We don't know which county yet, sure won't be Durham though, i should add!

After the 30-day requirement for applying is up, I will be going over to the sheriffs office, whichever/wherever we will be residing in the state.

First of all, I've noticed one of the requirements that I do feel uncomfortable about, and I may need some advice.

I noticed they will ask for access to my medical records, and I am paranoid. I have been evaluated in a hospital. I was on medication at a very young age even though I have been off of it for 6 years, I am doing great!!

I wasn't involuntarily committed to the hospital, my parents and doctor recommended I be evaluated because the medication wasn't working..

I don't know whether or not if I should mention this, I just do not want them charging me. I have no idea if I even want to move to NC with my wife!

Zoey,

Last edited by Rarity; 09-10-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8631 Times on 3740 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Zoey- does not sound like this should be a problem for you. The reason for the access to Med records- remember the Va Tech Shooter? Docs had ordered him to be in MANDATORY psych treatment (which he had failed to do).

World of difference between seeking medical assistance, and having been found to be a danger to self and others- which was his case.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #3

Thank you for the nice response,
c3shooter!

I've heard, somewhere along the lines; in the year of 2018 there will be a new Federal Law in which states - everyone who has been institutionalized will be reported to the FBI's NICS. That is going to be a big problem for most people!

Handing over your medical records is spooky, especially for me. I can barely remember!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

It really isn't that bad, not a big deal. You also have to take a course, depending on where you take it, it cost between $50-125. After completion of the course it will cost $95 to apply for the permit.

May I recommend New Hanover County or Pender County.

I live in Pender County, just for the record.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #5

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Zoey ,Whats your trade?? What area of the state are you leaning toward.

Also you need to go over to carloinashootersforum. Introduce your self and look for some advise there. Great bunch there and most counties are well represented there.

i am in the western part, in the mountains ,yancey county. don't fret the med check.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What I did in regards to North Carolina... Got the Hell out! Went back once and lived for little over a year, and remembered how much I hated it so I left again, and haven't been back yet. Really it was the vehicle laws and such that pissed me off the most. I had a car repossessed, and the state waited for 3 years before even attempting to contact me to let me know that they had brought some kind of bull**** criminal tax evasion charges against me!! I notified the DMV when it happened but because Wells Fargo didn't send some paperwork, I got screwed in the end. And that was only one of several episodes I had with those bastards. Nothing against the regular Joes and Janes of NC for the most part there is pretty decent folks all over that state, but the NCDMV will bend you over a log and make you squeal like a pig every chance they get. It's easier to get a gun there than it is to deal with their DMV crap.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #7

So really it is Wells Fargo's fault??? Aren't they pretty much nation wide now. And you blame the state?? Not the states fault they just know that tax's weren't payed. Take it up with wells fargo ,bet there one close by there in ole miss. Stop whin'n about ncdmv for your faulures.

We moved here from SW FL 14 years ago. No state tax's down there,right. I found I pay less up here after all my cost are are added up then we paid in florida. Just got to wise up to what you do pay and when and fill out the right paper work. Not a big deal.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Thank you all for your help!
C3shooter, Shihan, hardluk1, trip286!

We were planning on moving to Chester, NC. I still do not understand why we were thinking of Chester, North Carolina.

Open carry is not to friendly in the state of North Carolina, especially the car laws!

I am talking to my Wife, and looks like we are deciding on Pennsylvania because we've always wanted to move near Lancaster as we were growing up. It was vacation for us all the time.

Until then, we are staying in Maryland for another year because we have stuff to settle first, go figure

Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #9

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

thanks for callin me out on "whinin" when I gave all the info to the DMV and they said they would take care of it. And they did put in a request for some kind of paperwork, I got a report on that. But to wait for 3 effin years until it had escalated to some type of felony charge until they told me they never got the paperwork they took responsibility for? And I had to hire a lawyer and go to court? Pay the lawyer and the taxes, hell this **** cost me over 8 grand, that's more than the car was worth. And my failures? Lost a job and couldn't find another one within the 4 months before they took the car? Wow big man, feel free to ask for details before you start knocking someone's character. And like I said that wasn't the only problem I had with them, I also had my plate revoked and a 120 dollar fine when my insurance expired at midnight on one night and the new policy took effect at 12:01. And that was a renewal with the same company.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

Not the states fault . It all stated with you and the the bank (Wells fargo) and there failure to follow up on there end with the state.. Kinda like irs, they do take there time get'n hold of you for a screw up to and then more time before they deside to act. Then you know what hits the fan with amost no time to react.. That's life. Atleast you don't live far from the blue's.