Anyone have a PA CCL?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Anyone have a PA CCL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone have a PA CCL?

I have my Maine CCL but am also applying for a non-resident Pennsylvania CCL as I travel there from time to time.

On the PA application, it asks for two personal, non-relative references. I live in a tiny town and most of my acquaintances are typical liberals. I'd rather they not know I carry a gun. So, I am curious - if anyone has applied for their PA concealed carry license, did they call your references, or are they just technical fodder for the file? I am applying in Centre County.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8871 Times on 3843 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Don't have a PA CCW, but as far as references, a couple of possibles that are frequently overlooked are your insurance agent, and your banker. Was struggling for references one day (I work with explosives, and ONE license I was applying for required TEN references) when I realized I had known and done business with one agent for 20 yrs, and my banker for 15 yrs.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #3

afaik, they never called my referances in northumberland co. but i am a resident there. and all but the last time, i was close personal friends with the sherif that issued them.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am a resident of New York State and have had a NYS pistol permit for concealed carry for many years. I live within 5 miles of the PA border directly south of Buffalo and also obtained a PA concealed carry permit in 1995. When applying for the PA permit, the only thing that was required was to allow them to take a copy of my NYS permit and complete a simple application. Within 15 minutes I had my PA permit. The sheriff of McKean County where I obtained my permit, was extremely friendly and offerred to answer any questions. He also provided updated reciprocity laws for PA permit holders unlike NYS that accepts no other state. The experience could not of been any better.

oldhunter

Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #5

Never called my references. Suggest using your lawyer, your pharmacist, your GP, your banker, members of a club that you belong to, etc. Coming up with two should not be that difficult. Apply to Center County, Sheriff Nye. Your permit will come back and looks like a receipt from a receipt book with your photograph taped to it. Works real good. Especially in PA. Read and know the rules in PA; there seems to be some discrepancy in their interpretation of the concealed carry regs.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

What "discrepancies" in the regs do you refer to Toronto guy?
Our laws are pretty simple.

I have never had any references called. Pa is a "shall issue" state, so as long as you are legally allowed to own/carry a firearm, they cannot deny you a LCF.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhunter View Post
The sheriff of McKean County where I obtained my permit, was extremely friendly and offerred to answer any questions. He also provided updated reciprocity laws for PA permit holders unlike NYS that accepts no other state. The experience could not of been any better.

oldhunter
I used to live in PA, had my CCL there many years ago. I remember how surprised I was that the procedure was so unassuming and pleasant and quick. I was surprised, because at the time, they still had a lot of those old blue laws on their books - you couldn't buy beer at a convenience store, you couldn't buy a six-pack at a beer distributor (only a case), and I don't believe you could buy liquor on a Sunday, among a plethora of other petty rules. Not that I'm an alcoholic or anything ... I used to work in the beer industry when I resided there. But yes, PA is very reasonable about CCL's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogunguy View Post
Never called my references. Suggest using your lawyer, your pharmacist, your GP, your banker, members of a club that you belong to, etc. Coming up with two should not be that difficult. Apply to Center County, Sheriff Nye. Your permit will come back and looks like a receipt from a receipt book with your photograph taped to it. Works real good. Especially in PA. Read and know the rules in PA; there seems to be some discrepancy in their interpretation of the concealed carry regs.
The application just has a square on it that says 'photograph if required', but doesn't say anywhere how to tell if it is required or not. Also, there are no instructions to separately submit a photo. My Maine CCL does not have a photo. I wonder if this is some kind of oversight on their part. I just may have to call them anyway. Thanks for the tip on the regs for PA, I will certainly look them up.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

PA LCF are valid with/without a photo. If you want a photo on your license, you have to provide one.
They may need a file photo for your initial application, I cant remember for sure.
You may want to just call the Sheriff's office to be sure.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #9

Pennsylvania Firearm/Gun Law

Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #10

btw, kudos for using "ccl" and/or "lcf" and not "ccw"

its one of those small things that ppl often get wrong that just irks me.