Anyone have a CCP and not carry? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Anyone have a CCP and not carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I always have one in the car and/or truck but only have it on my when I get out about 50% of the time. Really just depends on how well I can keep it hidden. Now that winter is here and I have coat, I carry it a good bit more.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 12-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #22

Except for my job I carry ALWAYS, EVERYWHERE,DAY AND NIGHT!!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #23

i dont carry very often.I dont live in an area where it is necessary.I have had the permit for over20 years and have noticed that when you first get it you strut it around everywhere then it gets to be an added weight to carry around.I pretty much know where and when it is necessary.I'm not paranoid and have to have a gun all the time.I enjoy shooting and support those that feel the need to carry 24/7 but its not for me.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #24

Liked 2613 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincev View Post
i dont carry very often.I dont live in an area where it is necessary.I have had the permit for over20 years and have noticed that when you first get it you strut it around everywhere then it gets to be an added weight to carry around.I pretty much know where and when it is necessary.I'm not paranoid and have to have a gun all the time.I enjoy shooting and support those that feel the need to carry 24/7 but its not for me.

That's what everyone says after they have been attacked/robbed/raped. "I didn't think that could happen here." Do you have a fire extinguisher? Do you disable it on some days because you don't think you will have a fire that day? Do you wear your seatbelt only on days you think you might have an accident? I'm not trying to make fun of you I just want you to re-examine your logic for your own safety.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #25

rjd3282,No offense,point well taken and true. I probably should because we could.I sell firearms and am around them 8 hrs a day for many years.I guess I'm like a car mechanic.they always have the worse cars because they are around cars all day and dont want to see them when they are not working.After so many years I guess I just accept having guns pointed at you probably a dozen times a day.[novice shooters handling firearms].Sometimes its too much and it feels good NOT carrying a gun.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #26

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282

That's what everyone says after they have been attacked/robbed/raped. "I didn't think that could happen here." Do you have a fire extinguisher? Do you disable it on some days because you don't think you will have a fire that day? Do you wear your seatbelt only on days you think you might have an accident? I'm not trying to make fun of you I just want you to re-examine your logic for your own safety.
I have to disagree. You have to factor in probability. Do I need a fire extinguisher while I am swimming? Do I need a seat belt on while sitting in my lazy boy? Monday thru Friday I am in an office building that does not allow firearms. We have a very secure building and campus. I do not feel the need to carry while at work. I do keep several firearms safely within reach around the house.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #27

dks7895,you put my feelings into better words.I have been into firearms for40 years and do not feel i need a firearm at all times. I notice that younger new permit carriers tend to want to carry 24/7 but as they get older they tend to carry them less.They start to realize there are is a lot of responsibility in carrying a fire arm and at times you just dont need to carry. I think common sense carry is learned by experience. Sometimes it becomes an illness called paranoia.I had a customer in the store once that had 8 handguns on him when the police checked him! Someone saw the many bulges in his clothes and called the police.lol.he was arrested.I wouldnt want my mechanic rolling his tool chest to my house everytime he visits.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #28

I had my CCW permit and didn't carry for almost 5 years, The reason was I couldn't find the ideal way to carry.

I think it is a large reason why a lot of people don't carry. I always had a gun in my truck or my car or on vacation traveling but going into a 711 or a burger joint I didn't carry.
After a recent injury shoulder surgery knee surgery and back surgery I felt like my ability to defend myself was a lot less. After that, I carry 100% of the time. And I found a relatively creative way to carry.
I personally use a bag style carry. It's a small bag created to carry a iPad.
It even has a freaking Apple on the side.
I have bumped into numerous of my friends who are officers buddies, at the grocery store or around and none of them even suspect that I am carrying.
I work as a firefighter and I see a lot of police friends off-duty.

I'm a lot more proactive about carrying I also bought locks or safe for my vehicles because there are some locations that do not allow you to carry inside. For example a courthouse or a large venue. I now lock my weapon inside a safe inside a locked car. And, yes this is the standard that the law in my state requires.

Good luck gentlemen keep your primers dry and your aim straight !

Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #29

"but am bothered by the notion of leaving my firearm in the truck..."
@ turgietex.

Look into a small portable gun safe. I have one mounted in each of my vehicles is easily just mountable and movable to another vehicle I like the product called secure vault. This product allows you to have three ways to enter it. A key a touch pad and a battery 9 V backup.

Of all places to carry I think the bank would be the best place to carry. But that's your employers discretion however I wonder if they realize that they're taking your constitutional rights away from you. And if so they assume the liability for your utter complete safety.

Good luck and stay safe keep the cash drawer closed.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL
If I am awake and dressed, I am carrying ON MY BODY. Period.

If I am awake, and dressed in sleeping clothes...either drawstring sweats or drawstring gym shorts in summer...I am carrying ON MY BODY.

I can't wrap my head around those who get their permit, or those who live in AZ, AK, WY, VT (you know...the FREE STATES), and choose not to carry a defensive sidearm.

After 24 years carrying every day....the defensive sidearm is flat out, a part of me. I'd no sooner leave my house without it than I would leave without my pants.
"At least you wait till your dressed"
I some how got a visual on that!!