Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Another question concerning the big day!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

I've been doing a bit of learning about a CCW, and was wondering, since the process is so long to get one, can I start before I turn 21?
And what step can I start on?
So that I can put it to use as soon as possible, and I live in Florida

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
I've been doing a bit of learning about a CCW, and was wondering, since the process is so long to get one, can I start before I turn 21?
And what step can I start on?
So that I can put it to use as soon as possible, and I live in Florida
Probably a good question for the Florida state section. Or call your County's Sheriffs office, and ask away, thats what they are there for.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl

Probably a good question for the Florida state section. Or call your County's Sheriffs office, and ask away, thats what they are there for.
(Grossed out!)
Awwwww... If I have to...
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Just guessing...but if there is a class involved, you might be able to take that and get it out of the way. As for the application itself, it will probably have an age confirmation somewhere.

+1 on readygirl's post. Ask the sheriffs dept.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8064 Times on 4657 Posts
Likes Given: 10419

I expect that any required classes could be taken before your birthday and then the application signed and mailed on your birthday. I see no reason why not. You can ask but I bet you can't apply before your actual birthday so as to have it soon thereafter.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I expect that any required classes could be taken before your birthday and then the application signed and mailed on your birthday. I see no reason why not. You can ask but I bet you can't apply before your actual birthday so as to have it soon thereafter.
Everybody seems to be on par with the research my wife did regarding Ohio. She could have taken her course while 20, and it would have been good for a year. But she would have to apply before that year is up or she would have had to redo the course.

Florida? No idea. You're gonna wanna ask the Sheriff. Maybe someone from Florida will be along who knows.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The last time I checked Florida didn't have a open carry permit but I could be wrong

Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Florida is concealed only. In my personal experience getting my ccw I took a class. And ended up waiting 12-18 months before doing the application due to financial issues but once I scheduled the application appointment, waited 3 weeks to go. After everything finished they said it could take up to 90 days. I was a little bummed but thought at least it's going through. About 2 weeks later my wife surprised me with what came in the mail.

Like others have said see if you can take the class first. And have everything else ready to go

Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

IF you have military experience, the DD FM 214 is proof in Florida that you have been trained on firearms.

To get proof now (under 21), attend a hunting class, or go to a concealed carry class. You do not have to be 21 to attend class (this is a good time to get Dad to attend with you).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh that's cool I'm in Tennessee and were open and concealed carry