Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Another question concerning the big day! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/another-question-concerning-big-day-93222/)

308Wins 07-02-2013 03:12 AM

I've been doing a bit of learning about a CCW, and was wondering, since the process is so long to get one, can I start before I turn 21?
And what step can I start on?
So that I can put it to use as soon as possible, and I live in Florida

readygirl 07-02-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 308Wins (Post 1292662)
I've been doing a bit of learning about a CCW, and was wondering, since the process is so long to get one, can I start before I turn 21?
And what step can I start on?
So that I can put it to use as soon as possible, and I live in Florida

Probably a good question for the Florida state section. Or call your County's Sheriffs office, and ask away, thats what they are there for.

308Wins 07-02-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl

Probably a good question for the Florida state section. Or call your County's Sheriffs office, and ask away, thats what they are there for.

(Grossed out!)
Awwwww... If I have to...

Cattledog 07-02-2013 04:23 AM

Just guessing...but if there is a class involved, you might be able to take that and get it out of the way. As for the application itself, it will probably have an age confirmation somewhere.

+1 on readygirl's post. Ask the sheriffs dept.

Vikingdad 07-02-2013 04:47 AM

I expect that any required classes could be taken before your birthday and then the application signed and mailed on your birthday. I see no reason why not. You can ask but I bet you can't apply before your actual birthday so as to have it soon thereafter.

JW357 07-02-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I expect that any required classes could be taken before your birthday and then the application signed and mailed on your birthday. I see no reason why not. You can ask but I bet you can't apply before your actual birthday so as to have it soon thereafter.

Everybody seems to be on par with the research my wife did regarding Ohio. She could have taken her course while 20, and it would have been good for a year. But she would have to apply before that year is up or she would have had to redo the course.

Florida? No idea. You're gonna wanna ask the Sheriff. Maybe someone from Florida will be along who knows.

glock2390 07-02-2013 01:52 PM

The last time I checked Florida didn't have a open carry permit but I could be wrong

guthy125 07-02-2013 05:07 PM

Florida is concealed only. In my personal experience getting my ccw I took a class. And ended up waiting 12-18 months before doing the application due to financial issues but once I scheduled the application appointment, waited 3 weeks to go. After everything finished they said it could take up to 90 days. I was a little bummed but thought at least it's going through. About 2 weeks later my wife surprised me with what came in the mail.

Like others have said see if you can take the class first. And have everything else ready to go

danf_fl 07-02-2013 05:45 PM

IF you have military experience, the DD FM 214 is proof in Florida that you have been trained on firearms.

To get proof now (under 21), attend a hunting class, or go to a concealed carry class. You do not have to be 21 to attend class (this is a good time to get Dad to attend with you).

glock2390 07-02-2013 07:40 PM

Oh that's cool I'm in Tennessee and were open and concealed carry