Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Ankle conceal carry ideas? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ankle-conceal-carry-ideas-26125/)

phoinixbird 04-16-2010 11:34 AM

Ankle conceal carry ideas?

I'm saving up to buy a smaller handgun to conceal on my ankle. There's a few I've got in mind, the Ruger SR9c and the Glock 26, I would like to stay with a 9mm (because I already buy that ammo for my handgun). I would like to hear from you all on what holsters are best (comfort and secureness) and any suggestions on models of small handguns for ankle carrying. If you have any good advice or "war stories" lets have 'em. Also, I'm not completely aware of which manufactures are American, but I would like to get an American made handgun if possible. Thanks!

utf59 04-16-2010 03:17 PM

Is this going to be a BUG or primary? If it's a primary, my very first recommendation would be to not carry it on your ankle. Unless you are sitting, your ankle is hard to reach in a hurry. But the ankle is a common place to carry a BUG because most of the time you need it is when you can't reach your primary easily.

I recommend looking at holster manufacturers' websites to see what guns their ankle holsters accommodate. That will help you narrow down your selection.

How "American" do you want the manufacturer to be? I know that sounds crazy on the surface, but Glock is an Austrian company with a facility in the United States. Walther is German, but they are imported in this country by Smith & Wesson. Springfield is American, but many of their guns are made in Brazil.

phoinixbird 04-16-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utf59 (Post 270829)
Is this going to be a BUG or primary?

It will be a backup gun (BUG). I would like to keep my money in this country as much as possible, but I do understand that my budget and outsourcing might make that hard to do.

harleysilo 04-16-2010 04:39 PM

You should strap on some ankle weights and see how you like lugging that around on your ankle before you commit to this method of carry.

Mr. Bluesky 04-16-2010 05:42 PM

For the ankle, you're going to want an extremely thin, extremely light gun. I'd recommend a Kahr PM9 or Kel-Tec PF9, if it must be a 9mm.

Biohazurd 04-16-2010 08:29 PM

to be honest the heaviest gun i would ankle carry would be my 637, but i actually carry my p32 or my lcp almost every day. I literally forget that its there.

c3shooter 04-16-2010 11:17 PM

I HAVE carried a S&W Mdl 36 in an ankle holster. PITA. Draw can be faster than you think- raise leg instead of bending over. Had to some assignments in a golf shirt (tucked in) and slacks. Not ideal choice, but was limited. Thin, light gun, and a strap that goes ABOVE the calf, sort of like expensive men's sock garters.

phoinixbird 04-22-2010 02:36 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know what I decide on when I get it.

IGETEVEN 04-22-2010 03:14 AM

One downfall about an ankle carry piece, if you need to run quickly, it is very difficult to do. The holster needs to cover and secure the gun, like a velcro glove wrap, in order to keep it from flying free. The smaller and lighter the gun, the better off you are.

Jack

phoinixbird 05-09-2010 02:23 AM

Well, I decided on the Ruger LCP. I just got it today and won't get a chance to shot it until next weekend. I've decided to carry my back up in my pocket instead of on my ankle. The gentleman at the gun store made a good point about how much dirt and debris gets in ankle carry guns. $289.99 not a bad deal at all.