Ammo load for protection? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Ammo load for protection?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dzscubie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: El Paso,Texas
Posts: 2,521
Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I can understand staggering your rounds in a shotgun for home defense (I and my wife do this with our home shotguns) but not in a carry weapon. In our shotguns we have the first round of #8 bird shot (thatís when he is in the bedroom and we donít want to go through the dry walls), the next two are #4 magnums (when he is running down the hall toward the front door), followed by two Double 00 Buck (he is out the door and across the yard), the last three are slugs (damn if his car ainít going to take a beating too). I carry the Speer Gold Dot in my duty/off duty weapon in 40 and my wife has the Gold Dot in 9mm both on duty and off and we have never felt the need to change.
Dzscubie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
I can understand staggering your rounds in a shotgun for home defense (I and my wife do this with our home shotguns) but not in a carry weapon. In our shotguns we have the first round of #8 bird shot (thatís when he is in the bedroom and we donít want to go through the dry walls), the next two are #4 magnums (when he is running down the hall toward the front door), followed by two Double 00 Buck (he is out the door and across the yard), the last three are slugs (damn if his car ainít going to take a beating too). I carry the Speer Gold Dot in my duty/off duty weapon in 40 and my wife has the Gold Dot in 9mm both on duty and off and we have never felt the need to change.
But there's different scenarios, what if he's not in your bedroom?
I've heard of some staggering shotgun rounds and descride scenarios of why they do, but what if it is totally different. Such as you hear a crash, then see the BG, he sees you and locks himself in your son's or another room? You have to breach that bedroom door quickly. Or you never get the BG outside and now the slugs are being chambered?
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RCHanlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 250
Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Enough!

Gojubrian and Underfire... Let's call a quits to this ok?

goju... You were the first to try and push your opinion on me as far as home/self defense matters are concerned and then you try and correct my religous interpretations. That's about as annouying as correcting someones spelling. Perhaps you meant well but the way you went about it seemed a little too holier than thou to me.

Underfire.... The biggest problem I have with you is your whole attitude about this topic. To me you are more worried (so it seems by your comments to me) about liability than protecting yourself. You live in Florida correct? Isn't it your state that recently passed the "victims law" giving law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves with deadly force if so threatedned without fear of liability or prosecution?

Neither one of you know me and you are correct Underfire, I do not know you at all. I've posted in this forum about break ins occuring in my neighborhood in the past year and home invasions on the rise as well in another part of my town. We've got gangs, drugs, etc... My teenage daughter has told me about the drugs and gang activity in her High School which is no more than a ten minute drive from our home and you want to preach to me about being concerned about liability if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night?

My wife and I both aquired our Conceal Carry Permits from the County Court House in Perry Ga. (the county seat). We carry concealed whenever we go out of town especially when we go to Atlanta. We do not break any laws by carrying concealed where it is not allowed by law. Almost every one of my firearms was purchased from a licensed dealer (got the reciepts to prove it). I have been a licensed collector of firearms for over 12 years but a collector in general for longer than goju has been alive.

Now enough is enough gentlemen! ok? And Underfire, I also want to call it quits in the "Spottting a concealed handgun" forrum as well k?

Thank you...

Cheers
__________________
GCA and RSA Member, NRA Life Member
RCHanlin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dzscubie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: El Paso,Texas
Posts: 2,521
Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
But there's different scenarios, what if he's not in your bedroom?
I've heard of some staggering shotgun rounds and descride scenarios of why they do, but what if it is totally different. Such as you hear a crash, then see the BG, he sees you and locks himself in your son's or another room? You have to breach that bedroom door quickly. Or you never get the BG outside and now the slugs are being chambered?


UnderFire,

You are right there are different scenarios, the way Linda and I carry our shotguns is "our" way that we have worked out as the best for us. in your scenario I would eject the bird shot and blow the door knob off with the #4 magnum (from 6 inches away it works, I've done it) then bye bye, but that's the way we are trained to improvise and adapt. BUT remember both my wife and I are well trained to do this unlike a normal civilian. I still don't see the need for different types of rounds in a handgun. But to each their own. Just my opinion.
Dzscubie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post

Underfire.... The biggest problem I have with you is your whole attitude about this topic. To me you are more worried (so it seems by your comments to me) about liability than protecting yourself. You live in Florida correct? Isn't it your state that recently passed the "victims law" giving law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves with deadly force if so threatedned without fear of liability or prosecution?
ah, keyword: threatened
I'm not to pass judgement on you, but it's ok for you to judge me.
You think once you kill someone, that's it?
No questions from police, no firearm taken from you until the investigation is complete, no lawsuit from the criminal's family; none of that, right? The cops say "well done" and leave.
Dude, you should've seen what I had to go through a few years ago when a pitbull attacked me and I had to kill it with my handgun. Besides the police interview, and dog owner changing his story, I was suited by a innocent bystander, "that big gun was so horrifying, it traumatized me".

This isn't the Wild West, there's consequences for our actions.
I will do what ever it takes to defend my family & myself, but the police or judge won't be raising their eyebrow over my actions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post

Now enough is enough gentlemen! ok? And Underfire, I also want to call it quits in the "Spottting a concealed handgun" forrum as well k?

Thank you...

Cheers
I also want to say, that on a public forum such as this, we (gun owners) have to conduct ourselves in a professional manner. With all the anti-gun people out there that float through boards like this and view comments like ,if he's drunk & stupid enough to be in my house I'll shoot him dead...it gives them ammo to lobby against our current gun laws. If they view us as, a bunch of crazed gun packin' fools, than it only add ammo to their fight.
I'll stop, but you first.
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
UnderFire,

You are right there are different scenarios, the way Linda and I carry our shotguns is "our" way that we have worked out as the best for us. in your scenario I would eject the bird shot and blow the door knob off with the #4 magnum (from 6 inches away it works, I've done it) then bye bye, but that's the way we are trained to improvise and adapt. BUT remember both my wife and I are well trained to do this unlike a normal civilian. I still don't see the need for different types of rounds in a handgun. But to each their own. Just my opinion.
Dzscubie,
I understand, but also remember I'm not the "normal civilian".
I agree, in a handgun I don't stagger my rounds, all 10 are the most powerful .40 cal. loads on the market.
I have a Remington 870 Police shotgun for home protection, loaded with (7) 00Buck. click,click...BOOM!!
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
Gojubrian and Underfire... Let's call a quits to this ok?

goju... You were the first to try and push your opinion on me as far as home/self defense matters are concerned and then you try and correct my religous interpretations. That's about as annouying as correcting someones spelling. Perhaps you meant well but the way you went about it seemed a little too holier than thou to me.
I wasn't intending to push my opinions on you, just trying to make you see a broader spectrum. You really should consider all things that would make you shoot to stop an intruder in your home and how you would go about it. Stating that "he deserved to die" is just ignorant. That's not my opinion, it's a fact.

Ok, that is all.
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default In the home

I agree, If anyone breaks into my home to harm me or my family. I hope the Police bring chalk to mark the body outline. When they arrive the perp should be at room temp. And for the liberals who think you should not have a gun because it could be taken and used against you. I offer this thought, If anyone is going to kill me with my own gun they will have to beat me to death with it because by the time they get it it will be emptied into them.
Snakebite is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shooter girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED View Post
There is an attorney in KC MO that specializes in firearm and CCW cases. He strongly recommends that all your CCW rounds not only should be the same, but they should also be from the same BOX. Not only that, you should leave 4 - 6 rounds in the box and securely store the extras along with the sales receipt in your gun safe. Additionally you should never, ever, carry reloads. When the bad guy comes along and you are forced to use your safety device (never call it a "gun, piece, rod, gat, bullet launcher, or any such), your life is going to become very complicated, very quickly, and you will need every grain of evidence to be used for your defense.

This lawyer guy is for real and should, I believe, be listened to seriously. Those extra rounds in the safe can be used to aid in your defense to help recreate the exact details of the event and to demonstrate that you were forced to act in self defense.

If you need his name and phone # send me a PM.
I have heard about people like this. And best I can tell, there has never been a citizen charged for using a type of legally owned ammo. If you are justified in shooting someone, you are justified in shooting them with JHP or home rolled defensive loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
If that neighbor where stupid enough and was drunk enough to not realize that his key did not work in my door and still broke into my house when I and my family are asleep then he deserves to die! Drunks and addicts can be very unpreditable. You may think you have them calm while you are on the phone dialing 911 but then find yourself fighting over your weapon cause that person suddenly got squirley.

I refuse to be victim in my own home or anywhere else. Both Florida and Georgia passed laws preventing folks from being victims
There was actually a case, I believe in Montana, where a drunk kid came up to the wrong house and couldn't figure out why his key didn't work. Started beating on the door and tried to break in. The home owner was on the phone with 911 shouting at him through the door, talking about how he was scared for his family's life. He ended up shooting the guy, The Castle Doctrine covered his tail.

Me I carry 230 gr Federal HST.

The thing is, if you hit someone wearing heavy clothing with any HP it will not expand as much, making the HP act like a ball round. So you really do not see much underpentration. If you shoot someone through auto glass yes the bullet will be slowed down. But no more than ball would be.
__________________
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."
Shooter girl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
There was actually a case, I believe in Montana, where a drunk kid came up to the wrong house and couldn't figure out why his key didn't work. Started beating on the door and tried to break in. The home owner was on the phone with 911 shouting at him through the door, talking about how he was scared for his family's life. He ended up shooting the guy, The Castle Doctrine covered his tail.
The homeowner did the right thing. By calling 911 he was sharing the responsibility. Of course, not all home defense scenarios will allow a call for help before action.

Last edited by UnderFire; 12-02-2009 at 11:42 PM.
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best .380 Personal Protection ammo greenr19 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 21 01-07-2012 02:30 AM
Ammo for home protection Quasi XD Forum 57 12-30-2011 07:25 PM
protection Gerald Sykes General Handgun Discussion 45 09-24-2008 06:59 AM
Personal Protection ammo Caladin Glock Forum 13 05-30-2008 09:45 PM
Ear Protection Question Bronze_Cased Firearm Accessories & Gear 2 06-06-2007 01:00 PM



Newest Threads