Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ammo load for protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
What he said... I've got Black Talons in my 1911 home defense mags. I understand we no longer live in the Wild West but any SOB comes into my house uninvited is a dead SOB.
So if your neighbor a block over comes home late after a drunk night and doesn't realize where he is??? Careful with your words, they may come back to bite you.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I alternate between 230 gr. Hydrashocks and 230 gr. ball for the same reason you do. I like the quick expansion of the hollow points, but use the ball in case I've got to deal with window glass or heavy clothing.

It isn't uncommon for home invaders to wear vests with trauma plates in them around here. The ball will carry more energy through the trauma plate and into the sternum than the rapidly expanding hollow points will.

During the sweltering summers here, I drive with my windows rolled up and the AC on max. I'd like to be able to punch through the window glass and into a carjacker as hard as possible, which necessitates ball ammo, but again, I like to have the rapidly expanding hollow points when necessary.

When I'm in the woods, I may be faced with a large, thick skinned boar, or a meth cook may be the threat. Again, a mix mix of ball and hollow point ammo suits the possible situations well.

It doesn't matter what ammo you run and it doesn't matter if they're of mixed types. You have to ensure that the shot you take is the same shot that any prudent, well trained individual would take in the same situation. You can only be sent to prison if it wasn't a legally defensible shot.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
So if your neighbor a block over comes home late after a drunk night and doesn't realize where he is??? Careful with your words, they may come back to bite you.

If that neighbor where stupid enough and was drunk enough to not realize that his key did not work in my door and still broke into my house when I and my family are asleep then he deserves to die! Drunks and addicts can be very unpreditable. You may think you have them calm while you are on the phone dialing 911 but then find yourself fighting over your weapon cause that person suddenly got squirley.

I refuse to be victim in my own home or anywhere else. Both Florida and Georgia passed laws preventing folks from being victims

GCA Member and NRA Life Member

Last edited by RCHanlin; 11-25-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #14

Quote:
If that neighbor where stupid enough and was drunk enough to not realize that his key did not work in my door and still broke into my house when I and my family are asleep then he deserves to die! Drunks and addicts can be very unpreditable. You may think you have them calm while you are on the phone dialing 911 but then find yourself fighting over your weapon cause that person suddenly got squirley.

I refuse to be victim in my own home or anywhere else. Both Florida and Georgia passed laws preventing folks from being victims
Many states have a castle doctrine that allows you to defend your home, but doesn't justify shooting someone for just being in your home. Holding a home intruder until police arrive is the right thing to do, unless the threat level escalates.
I know in talk we try to express how "bad" we are, but to take one's life is a feeling most don't have or understand. Just imagine having to live next to that neighbor's wife & children and the guilt that there's no father in that household because you were over zealous.
In the scenario that Goju describes, it would be better to help the neighbor home, I really doubt he "deserves to die" because he mistakenly broke into your home. I would have him pay for the damages of breaking into your home.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Many states have a castle doctrine that allows you to defend your home, but doesn't justify shooting someone for just being in your home. Holding a home intruder until police arrive is the right thing to do, unless the threat level escalates.
I know in talk we try to express how "bad" we are, but to take one's life is a feeling most don't have or understand. Just imagine having to live next to that neighbor's wife & children and the guilt that there's no father in that household because you were over zealous.
In the scenario that Goju describes, it would be better to help the neighbor home, I really doubt he "deserves to die" because he mistakenly broke into your home. I would have him pay for the damages of breaking into your home.

By your response, you assume that I would know this person. Listen, I'm not trying to come off as some sort of Billy Bad Ass here. This country is in the sorta fix it's in cause eveyone is sitting around singing Kumbaya and trying to be politically correct all the time. Perhaps Christ said to offer the other cheek but this fella (me) is not gonna do that.

While you are certainlly entitled to your own opinions on this matter, I just happen not to share them.

Cheers

Old 11-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
By your response, you assume that I would know this person. Listen, I'm not trying to come off as some sort of Billy Bad Ass here. This country is in the sorta fix it's in cause eveyone is sitting around singing Kumbaya and trying to be politically correct all the time. Perhaps Christ said to offer the other cheek but this fella (me) is not gonna do that.

While you are certainlly entitled to your own opinions on this matter, I just happen not to share them.

Cheers
You misunderstand Jesus my firend....but that's another topic.

I understand your opinion, but this is not just about opinions. In my state(and most states) I have to have good reason to shoot someone even in my own home. I not only HAVE to I WANT to. God forbid I shoot some drunk idiot or high kid who entered my house uninvited because he thought it was his house and he couldn't get his key to work, it has happened in my state. You may think they "derserve to die", the state may very well disagree with you and may decide you deserve to spend some isolated time thinking about it.

I won't shoot someone just for coming into my house uninvited, they must be a vital threat. They better make some sort of threat, either physical or verbal. I am prepared to defend my family, but not eager to take a life.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
You misunderstand Jesus my firend....but that's another topic.

I understand your opinion, but this is not just about opinions. In my state(and most states) I have to have good reason to shoot someone even in my own home. I not only HAVE to I WANT to. God forbid I shoot some drunk idiot or high kid who entered my house uninvited because he thought it was his house and he couldn't get his key to work, it has happened in my state. You may think they "derserve to die", the state may very well disagree with you and may decide you deserve to spend some isolated time thinking about it.

I won't shoot someone just for coming into my house uninvited, they must be a vital threat. They better make some sort of threat, either physical or verbal. I am prepared to defend my family, but not eager to take a life.
I'm tired of this banter. It is not accomplishing anything. I will no more be able to convince you or your partner (underfire) than you will me in this matter.

Cheers

Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I alternate between 230 gr. Hydrashocks and 230 gr. ball for the same reason you do. I like the quick expansion of the hollow points, but use the ball in case I've got to deal with window glass or heavy clothing.

It isn't uncommon for home invaders to wear vests with trauma plates in them around here. The ball will carry more energy through the trauma plate and into the sternum than the rapidly expanding hollow points will.

During the sweltering summers here, I drive with my windows rolled up and the AC on max. I'd like to be able to punch through the window glass and into a carjacker as hard as possible, which necessitates ball ammo, but again, I like to have the rapidly expanding hollow points when necessary.

When I'm in the woods, I may be faced with a large, thick skinned boar, or a meth cook may be the threat. Again, a mix mix of ball and hollow point ammo suits the possible situations well.

It doesn't matter what ammo you run and it doesn't matter if they're of mixed types. You have to ensure that the shot you take is the same shot that any prudent, well trained individual would take in the same situation. You can only be sent to prison if it wasn't a legally defensible shot.
Indeed. Great post and well stated for truth Matt.

I too, follow the same mix and adhere to the same rule of thought, as well.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I'm tired of this banter. It is not accomplishing anything. I will no more be able to convince you or your partner (underfire) than you will me in this matter.

Cheers
Why don't ya' cry about it!! Saddlebags!!!

Sorry, the thread was derailed (partly because of me).

RC,

You don't have to convince me or "my partner" about anything. You will have to convince a jury that your shooting of an intruder was justified even though he made no threats.....good luck with that.

Underfire and I have had conversations before and we don't always agree nor do we have a partnership. I don't consider discussions of personal safety or legal issues "banter."

Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #20

Quote:
By your response, you assume that I would know this person.
It doesn't matter if you know him or not. You missed my point altogether, it doesn't surprise me- honestly. Try to explain a dead man in your house with no weapon.
Quote:
This country is in the sorta fix it's in cause eveyone is sitting around singing Kumbaya and trying to be politically correct all the time. Perhaps Christ said to offer the other cheek but this fella (me) is not gonna do that.
Oh boy, I can tell you don't know me. Some of the older members/mods know how I feel on certain topics about this country & being politically correct.
+2 on misunderstanding Jesus, if the Ol' English, King James version is too hard to understand get a modern version.
Quote:
Cheers
You need to get a brief understanding about gun laws, castle doctrine, etc before you mistakenly commit a crime. Ignorance is no excuse for the law.