Ammo load for protection?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ammo load for protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo load for protection?

I am curious to know if I am the only person that staggers the ammo my mags in my handgun for protection?

I use 147gr JHP's, 115 gr FMJ, and 124gr JHP's. I do JHP then FMJ and so on.

I do this in case the JHP's are not penetrating due to heavy clothing or such.

Does anyone else do this?

Mossberg 835 3.5 inch, 24inch ported, Knoxx Stock
Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22
Bergo .22 revolver - handed down from Great Grandpa
Chinese SKS Matching Numbers with all extras

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know some people do as you do, but I don't. I want every round in my handgun to perform just like the one before and after it. That's true if I'm carrying a .32acp, 9mm, 45 acp, or a 500 S&W.
In my tactical shotgun I do stagger the rounds though. Buckshot and slugs, but that's because I may be dealing with a goblin that is trying to hide behind a car door.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

.45 ACP;
I like Corbon Pow`RBall +P, 165 GR, 1225 fps and use them as my double-tap in my carry mag. Fast and proven to penetrate windshields and will pass through auto side glass with little expansion. The remainder of the mag feeds seven Hornady TAP Personal Defense +P 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Points. I’m comfortable with this set-up.

45-p165.jpg

ganewammo_011305d.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
RED

Likes Given: 1

Default According to a gun lawyer

There is an attorney in KC MO that specializes in firearm and CCW cases. He strongly recommends that all your CCW rounds not only should be the same, but they should also be from the same BOX. Not only that, you should leave 4 - 6 rounds in the box and securely store the extras along with the sales receipt in your gun safe. Additionally you should never, ever, carry reloads. When the bad guy comes along and you are forced to use your safety device (never call it a "gun, piece, rod, gat, bullet launcher, or any such), your life is going to become very complicated, very quickly, and you will need every grain of evidence to be used for your defense.

This lawyer guy is for real and should, I believe, be listened to seriously. Those extra rounds in the safe can be used to aid in your defense to help recreate the exact details of the event and to demonstrate that you were forced to act in self defense.

If you need his name and phone # send me a PM.

"A letter of reprimand is better than no mail at all."

Capt Joe Rowland USMC 1971.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Why?

If ou can prove AOJ(ability,opportunity,jeopardy) then everthing else is irrelevant. If ou can't prove AOJ, you shouldn't have shot!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED View Post
There is an attorney in KC MO that specializes in firearm and CCW cases. He strongly recommends that all your CCW rounds not only should be the same, but they should also be from the same BOX. Not only that, you should leave 4 - 6 rounds in the box and securely store the extras along with the sales receipt in your gun safe. Additionally you should never, ever, carry reloads. When the bad guy comes along and you are forced to use your safety device (never call it a "gun, piece, rod, gat, bullet launcher, or any such), your life is going to become very complicated, very quickly, and you will need every grain of evidence to be used for your defense.

This lawyer guy is for real and should, I believe, be listened to seriously. Those extra rounds in the safe can be used to aid in your defense to help recreate the exact details of the event and to demonstrate that you were forced to act in self defense.

If you need his name and phone # send me a PM.
Thanks for the advice. I do see how it all is great tactics as I have heard that if you carry to protect yourself, you should also have an attorney already "on speed dial". Its good to have legal counsel when needed, but....

If I fill my mag with all of one type of ammo that does not do its job (or might not (penetration, expansion, etc), I might not be around to testify that I chose to stagger my mag for safety and to ensure that i cover all bases.

I think it also has a lot to do with where you live, your background, and what situation transpires that causes you to have to draw on someone (which you have no control over). I do control two of those; where I live (in the country), and my background (a good reputation with no blemishes). So, if SHTF out here, i have no worries of the police out here saying that s***head shouldnt have messed with you, and if it happens elsewhere, I will rely on my background, reputation, and attorney (and my staggered mag to ensure there is only one to testify). But thats just me......

Mossberg 835 3.5 inch, 24inch ported, Knoxx Stock
Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22
Bergo .22 revolver - handed down from Great Grandpa
Chinese SKS Matching Numbers with all extras

Last edited by jps37033; 11-18-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would be interested to read a [U]documented[U] case of having staggered rounds in a handgun having a vital or needed benefit. I can see a benefit in some military and tactical situations using long guns (i.e., AP, ball, incendiary), but in a civilian defensive situation I have never read of a documented need for staggered rounds. I am more of the opinion that this "need" is more urban legend than fact.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

i carry 230grn FMJ worked well on german, japanese, korean, vietnamese, and iraqi soldiers over the last 100 years. im not gonna buck tradition. my shotgun is 12ga buckshot. my SR556 has 3 magazines of 55grn FMJ ready to go.

the thing that worries me isnt the finding of evidence of right of self protection and my use of lethal force as i am not going to fire on someone unless that threat exists. its the personal lawsuits afterwards as the criminal's relatives sue trying to punish me for not letting a slimeball take my life.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2740 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

If you don't trust the 147 JHP, why do you carry it at all? If you do not trust the 115 FMJ, why do you carry it at all?

Find a load that does most things well. For me in 9mm that is the Gold Dot 124 gr. +p. In .40 that is the Gold Dot 180 gr. In the .45 it is the Gold Dot 230 gr. in the 10mm that is the Double Tap 180 gr Gold Dot. Sensing a pattern here?

If you anticipate dealing with a heavily clothed (winter) or heavy bodied person and you are not sure a ___ load in 9mm will be sufficient, carry a larger caliber or practice until you are deadly accurate.

Bullets don't stop bad guys, well placed bullets stop bad guys.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i carry 230grn FMJ worked well on german, japanese, korean, vietnamese, and iraqi soldiers over the last 100 years. im not gonna buck tradition. my shotgun is 12ga buckshot. my SR556 has 3 magazines of 55grn FMJ ready to go.

the thing that worries me isnt the finding of evidence of right of self protection and my use of lethal force as i am not going to fire on someone unless that threat exists. its the personal lawsuits afterwards as the criminal's relatives sue trying to punish me for not letting a slimeball take my life.

What he said... I've got Black Talons in my 1911 home defense mags. I understand we no longer live in the Wild West but any SOB comes into my house uninvited is a dead SOB.

GCA Member and NRA Life Member