Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo

Sorry to break this mil-surp conversation up, but I have a few questions you all might be able to help a guy behind the iron curtain here in CA.

My question is what type of ammo is best for home defense as far as not punching through
Walls. I have tried to read up on ballistics, but to be honest it's giving me a headache and its a little confusing. My gear is a AR15 5.56 chamber civtactical 16" tactical free float with a 1:7 twist.

Where can I find a legal 30 rnd pmag that is set up for only 10 rnds? I have herd they put a spacer or block of some sort that only allows 10 rnds and not 30. Or just any legal 10 rnd mags anywhere...

Thanks,

-Buck-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2161 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Buck,

For the AR Rifle probably 55 Grain Hornady Tap Ammunition. All AR rounds will obviously penetrate drywall. It is just how much and to what degree. But they are better than a larger pistol round or 00 Buck or Slug! A 00 Buck round can penetrate at least 6 layers of drywall. Which could mean going through two other rooms beside the one that the shot took place in!
For a shotgun I would recommend #4, #2 Shot or BB Loads! (Not Buck Shot!)
As far as the mags unfortunately you must be having to work and reside in one of the newly formed Commie States?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

P mag and pro mag both make what they call a 10/30 mag. It is the body of a 30 round mag but is fixed to only allow 10. Check out your lgs or go online. They are very hard to come by right now but they are out there. I too live in California and have to suffer with them.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986
Sorry to break this mil-surp conversation up, but I have a few questions you all might be able to help a guy behind the iron curtain here in CA.

My question is what type of ammo is best for home defense as far as not punching through
Walls. I have tried to read up on ballistics, but to be honest it's giving me a headache and its a little confusing. My gear is a AR15 5.56 chamber civtactical 16" tactical free float with a 1:7 twist.

Where can I find a legal 30 rnd pmag that is set up for only 10 rnds? I have herd they put a spacer or block of some sort that only allows 10 rnds and not 30. Or just any legal 10 rnd mags anywhere...

Thanks,

-Buck-
Man I hate seeing people have to ask the second question :/

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Molon labe!!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlanier9
P mag and pro mag both make what they call a 10/30 mag. It is the body of a 30 round mag but is fixed to only allow 10. Check out your lgs or go online. They are very hard to come by right now but they are out there. I too live in California and have to suffer with them.
They make 15/30 mags as well. Good stuff I have a few that are NJ legal. Problem is they are about $15 more than a standard mag, I hate paying more for less. Bushmaster also makes a standard metal GI type 10 rounder.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #7

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Can someone explain why you would want the size of a 30rd mag that only holds 10? Seems extra weight and size for no reason? I'm praying I don't hear a response stating you hope the bad guy will think you have more rounds lol..

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll
Can someone explain why you would want the size of a 30rd mag that only holds 10? Seems extra weight and size for no reason? I'm praying I don't hear a response stating you hope the bad guy will think you have more rounds lol..
10 round mag fits flush in mag well, the 30 has extra length that can aid in freeing a jammed or sticky mag plus they fit better in the mag holders.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
10 round mag fits flush in mag well, the 30 has extra length that can aid in freeing a jammed or sticky mag plus they fit better in the mag holders.
All valid points I did not previously consider. Thanks.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Not a fan of 30 round magazines (I live in Nj so they all hold 15). I prefer the 20 round form over the 30. But that's just me.
As for ammo, I might suggest SSA frangible for 5.56/.223. It cycles as well as any other ammo I've shot through my AR. Winchester makes a decent Frangible round as well but the bullet is a bit shorter than the one used by SSA and may have issues cycling. Frangible ammo will disintegrate upon impact so you don't have to worry about over penetration. Tr issue with frangible is that the bullets tend to be lighter and tend to keyhole a bit. The SSA don't have cycling issues but do tend to keyhole from my range experience. Unless the target was flapping around on what I stapled it to, that is.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56