Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ammo-87144/)

1986 03-22-2013 04:53 AM

Ammo

Sorry to break this mil-surp conversation up, but I have a few questions you all might be able to help a guy behind the iron curtain here in CA.

My question is what type of ammo is best for home defense as far as not punching through
Walls. I have tried to read up on ballistics, but to be honest it's giving me a headache and its a little confusing. My gear is a AR15 5.56 chamber civtactical 16" tactical free float with a 1:7 twist.

Where can I find a legal 30 rnd pmag that is set up for only 10 rnds? I have herd they put a spacer or block of some sort that only allows 10 rnds and not 30. Or just any legal 10 rnd mags anywhere...

Thanks,

-Buck-

Sniper03 03-22-2013 09:13 PM

Buck,

For the AR Rifle probably 55 Grain Hornady Tap Ammunition. All AR rounds will obviously penetrate drywall. It is just how much and to what degree. But they are better than a larger pistol round or 00 Buck or Slug! A 00 Buck round can penetrate at least 6 layers of drywall. Which could mean going through two other rooms beside the one that the shot took place in!
For a shotgun I would recommend #4, #2 Shot or BB Loads! (Not Buck Shot!)
As far as the mags unfortunately you must be having to work and reside in one of the newly formed Commie States? :D

noahlanier9 03-22-2013 09:25 PM

P mag and pro mag both make what they call a 10/30 mag. It is the body of a 30 round mag but is fixed to only allow 10. Check out your lgs or go online. They are very hard to come by right now but they are out there. I too live in California and have to suffer with them.

gearhead396 03-22-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986
Sorry to break this mil-surp conversation up, but I have a few questions you all might be able to help a guy behind the iron curtain here in CA.

My question is what type of ammo is best for home defense as far as not punching through
Walls. I have tried to read up on ballistics, but to be honest it's giving me a headache and its a little confusing. My gear is a AR15 5.56 chamber civtactical 16" tactical free float with a 1:7 twist.

Where can I find a legal 30 rnd pmag that is set up for only 10 rnds? I have herd they put a spacer or block of some sort that only allows 10 rnds and not 30. Or just any legal 10 rnd mags anywhere...

Thanks,

-Buck-

Man I hate seeing people have to ask the second question :/

1986 03-23-2013 03:18 PM

Molon labe!!

Jpyle 03-23-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahlanier9
P mag and pro mag both make what they call a 10/30 mag. It is the body of a 30 round mag but is fixed to only allow 10. Check out your lgs or go online. They are very hard to come by right now but they are out there. I too live in California and have to suffer with them.

They make 15/30 mags as well. Good stuff I have a few that are NJ legal. Problem is they are about $15 more than a standard mag, I hate paying more for less. Bushmaster also makes a standard metal GI type 10 rounder.

Dizzll 03-27-2013 11:12 PM

Can someone explain why you would want the size of a 30rd mag that only holds 10? Seems extra weight and size for no reason? I'm praying I don't hear a response stating you hope the bad guy will think you have more rounds lol..

Jpyle 03-28-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzll
Can someone explain why you would want the size of a 30rd mag that only holds 10? Seems extra weight and size for no reason? I'm praying I don't hear a response stating you hope the bad guy will think you have more rounds lol..

10 round mag fits flush in mag well, the 30 has extra length that can aid in freeing a jammed or sticky mag plus they fit better in the mag holders.

Dizzll 03-28-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 1193421)
10 round mag fits flush in mag well, the 30 has extra length that can aid in freeing a jammed or sticky mag plus they fit better in the mag holders.

All valid points I did not previously consider. Thanks.

drvsafe 04-01-2013 04:00 PM

Not a fan of 30 round magazines (I live in Nj so they all hold 15). I prefer the 20 round form over the 30. But that's just me.
As for ammo, I might suggest SSA frangible for 5.56/.223. It cycles as well as any other ammo I've shot through my AR. Winchester makes a decent Frangible round as well but the bullet is a bit shorter than the one used by SSA and may have issues cycling. Frangible ammo will disintegrate upon impact so you don't have to worry about over penetration. Tr issue with frangible is that the bullets tend to be lighter and tend to keyhole a bit. The SSA don't have cycling issues but do tend to keyhole from my range experience. Unless the target was flapping around on what I stapled it to, that is.