ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default ammo

How long should one keep there carry ammo before replacing with fresh rounds?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperUSMC View Post
As a general rule I advise people to shot up there carry/duty ammo once a year. This keeps them familiar with the recoil/feel and accuracy of the ammo they rely on and it puts fresh ammo under the hammer.
But to answer your question. If you do not contaminate your ammo with penetrating lubricants you can carry it for many years.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 12-15-2013 at 01:28 AM.
JonM Likes This 
Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Well its not like were talking about bread here so assuming you aren't keeping your ammo in the creek out back you should be fine for many years.
I still have stuff I loaded 30 years ago and it goes bang every time in fact I still have a bunch of old military 30-06 that still fires every time some of it is dated back in 40's.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Ok thanx. I know that my ammo is lookin a bit tarnished. I know that brass gets that way pretty quick. That an ive heard some ppl say u should change out once in a while

Old 12-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Ok thanx. I know that my ammo is lookin a bit tarnished. I know that brass gets that way pretty quick. That an ive heard some ppl say u should change out once in a while
If were talking personal defense rounds by all means cycle it periodically but target, hunting, plinking stuff last a very long time.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
As a general rule I advise people to shot up there carry/duty ammo once a year. This keeps them familiar with the recoil/feel and accuracy of the ammo they rely on and it puts fresh ammo under the hammer.
But to answer your question. If you do not contaminate your ammo with penetrating lubricants you can carry for many years.
This is very good advice. Unfortunately I can only "like" it once

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

armsmaster270 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #7

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

i like nickel coated brass for my "carry" ammo, i feel that it protects the integrity of it better, but i still shoot it from time to time, to stay familiar with the handling of that particular load & platform combination, as well as keep it "fresh", after all i want all the odds stacked in my favor in the unfortunate event i have to rely on it to save my bacon.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1350 Posts
Likes Given: 994

It will last indefinitely, but a SD gun needs to be practiced with and fired periodically.