Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ammo-101578/)

CasperUSMC 12-14-2013 08:56 PM

ammo

How long should one keep there carry ammo before replacing with fresh rounds?

JimRau 12-14-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasperUSMC (Post 1458845)

As a general rule I advise people to shot up there carry/duty ammo once a year. This keeps them familiar with the recoil/feel and accuracy of the ammo they rely on and it puts fresh ammo under the hammer.;)
But to answer your question. If you do not contaminate your ammo with penetrating lubricants you can carry it for many years.

Pasquanel 12-14-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasperUSMC (Post 1458845)

Well its not like were talking about bread here so assuming you aren't keeping your ammo in the creek out back you should be fine for many years.
I still have stuff I loaded 30 years ago and it goes bang every time in fact I still have a bunch of old military 30-06 that still fires every time some of it is dated back in 40's.

CasperUSMC 12-14-2013 10:21 PM

Ok thanx. I know that my ammo is lookin a bit tarnished. I know that brass gets that way pretty quick. That an ive heard some ppl say u should change out once in a while

Pasquanel 12-14-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasperUSMC (Post 1458906)
Ok thanx. I know that my ammo is lookin a bit tarnished. I know that brass gets that way pretty quick. That an ive heard some ppl say u should change out once in a while

If were talking personal defense rounds by all means cycle it periodically but target, hunting, plinking stuff last a very long time.

JonM 12-14-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1458854)
As a general rule I advise people to shot up there carry/duty ammo once a year. This keeps them familiar with the recoil/feel and accuracy of the ammo they rely on and it puts fresh ammo under the hammer.;)
But to answer your question. If you do not contaminate your ammo with penetrating lubricants you can carry for many years.

This is very good advice. Unfortunately I can only "like" it once

phildenton 12-15-2013 11:14 PM

i like nickel coated brass for my "carry" ammo, i feel that it protects the integrity of it better, but i still shoot it from time to time, to stay familiar with the handling of that particular load & platform combination, as well as keep it "fresh", after all i want all the odds stacked in my favor in the unfortunate event i have to rely on it to save my bacon.

Mercator 12-15-2013 11:23 PM

It will last indefinitely, but a SD gun needs to be practiced with and fired periodically.