Amma questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Amma questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 89
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Amma questions

Hey guys as some of you may know I just bought a Glock 26 for myself and a bodygaurd for my wife. We are going to the range this weekend, since I am new to CC and handguns really I could use some advice on ammo. What shoul I carry daily and what should be used for the range really in both guns. Thanks in advance guys and girls.

__________________
OUDAN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDAN View Post
Hey guys as some of you may know I just bought a Glock 26 for myself and a bodygaurd for my wife. We are going to the range this weekend, since I am new to CC and handguns really I could use some advice on ammo. What shoul I carry daily and what should be used for the range really in both guns. Thanks in advance guys and girls.
my personal suggestion is to at least practice some with the same ammo you would carry. that way you have some idea as to POI and amount of recoil. every brand of ammo can perform a little different. use what ever is usually cheapest for general practice.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gearhead396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 945
Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Default

Whenever I buy a new fire arm I always buy at least 50 rounds of every ammo brand out there hard ball semi hollow and hollow although hollows will usually be a home defense round, see what it likes the best or if it likes them all. it may or may not have issues with some ammo its good to know which ones they are if there are any. With home defense I usually just go with an upgraded round hollow of whatever 50 round hard ball that i liked best if there is any if not my first choice is Speer gold dot personal protection. Very reliable idk about everyone else but I always think ok if I get in a situation where I'm stuck with this ammo will it work, for example I had a kel tec p11 that would jam every round with white box whinny hard ball only not the semi hollow.

__________________

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"


Last edited by gearhead396; 02-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
gearhead396 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUDAN View Post
Hey guys as some of you may know I just bought a Glock 26 for myself and a bodygaurd for my wife. We are going to the range this weekend, since I am new to CC and handguns really I could use some advice on ammo. What shoul I carry daily and what should be used for the range really in both guns. Thanks in advance guys and girls.
A glock will fire just about anything you throw at it, less lead nose. I shoot Blazer aluminum case stuff at the range as it is typically the most cost effective. For home defense I use Winchester PDX1 +P. And as stated above, even though they are much more expensive, you should fire a few mags of the home defense rounds to learn the difference in reaction. I've seen many a shooter that is a fairly good shot that can't hold a decent group with HD ammo.
__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,156
Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Default

I always put 100 rounds of whatever carry ammo I am going to use through the gun before I carry it. When you need your gun is not the time to find out it doesn't cycle your carry ammo.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I always put 100 rounds of whatever carry ammo I am going to use through the gun before I carry it. When you need your gun is not the time to find out it doesn't cycle your carry ammo.
very good point Rick. and the more the better!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 89
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton

A glock will fire just about anything you throw at it, less lead nose. I shoot Blazer aluminum case stuff at the range as it is typically the most cost effective. For home defense I use Winchester PDX1 +P. And as stated above, even though they are much more expensive, you should fire a few mags of the home defense rounds to learn the difference in reaction. I've seen many a shooter that is a fairly good shot that can't hold a decent group with HD ammo.
I actually found some of the Winchester PDX1 so got 50 of those and 100 just cheap Winchester rounds for the range. I will probably shoot 30 or so of the PDX1 as well just to get a feel as you guys suggested. Results to come lol
__________________
OUDAN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Questions? Only questions game? winds-of-change The Club House 460 09-25-2013 11:19 PM
New guy with questions. Dixieduo Mini-14 Forum 15 12-06-2012 11:12 AM
2 questions reloader97 Ammunition & Reloading 2 10-09-2012 01:34 PM
2 questions freefall Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 7 10-22-2010 01:25 PM