Amazing How silly people think we are - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Amazing How silly people think we are

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
You know, I sorta dislike the grouping together of gun critics under political labels like "liberal", or what is now replacing it, "progressive". I used to half jokingly say that I was a conservatives worst nightmare: an armed liberal. Not to get into a big discussion here, but to show that you can't lump everyone into categories, I am for (or at least not against) pro-choice on abortion or contraception issues; gay marriage (not personally interested, but I don't care what YOU do); an immigration policy that makes sense and leads to citizenship for non-criminal illegal aliens (try to get a roof put on in Texas in the summer without illegal alien labor); and a health care policy that would put basic heath care at moderate cost to most residents of the U.S.. I am against anything that infringes further on my constitutional rights, particualry the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendment; I was against the Patrirot Act, and it's subsequent re-authorization. I am against more intrusive goverment, but likewise am against the increasing control that big corporations have on our lives. I don't believe in goverment or job drug testing. I mostly want to be left the hell alone.
Except for a few things, you seem to be on the path to being a Libertarian. (Come to the dark side, We have cookies! )

The reason we group antigunners and Liberals together is because most antigunners are Liberals. While, obviously not all Liberals hate guns, the majority (or at least the vocal majority) do. Look at Washington, California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, D.C., Connecticut, Maryland, Colorado, and Hawaii. All of these states voted Democrat, and all of them have strong gun control laws.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1117 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I guess I still consider a "liberal" under an outdated definiation -- the way it was thirty so years ago, when being a liberal meant you were for more personal freedom and individual rights.

These days the "liberals" want to pass laws protecting me from myself and in the name of social welfare and the "conservatives" want to pass laws restricting my individual rights in the name of God and law and order.

Nobody can understand the laws we already have, and we keep adding more and more.

(Okay, not the right thread. I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry for the rant.)

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #63
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I guess I still consider a "liberal" under an outdated definiation -- the way it was thirty so years ago, when being a liberal meant you were for more personal freedom and individual rights.

These days the "liberals" want to pass laws protecting me from myself and in the name of social welfare and the "conservatives" want to pass laws restricting my individual rights in the name of God and law and order.

Nobody can understand the laws we already have, and we keep adding more and more.

(Okay, not the right thread. I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry for the rant.)
Yep, your definitely leaning toward being a Libertarian.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Yep, your definitely leaning toward being a Libertarian.
Okay, but before we hug you should know that I'm a coffee drinker, not a tea partier.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1898 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 898

The opposite of a progressive is a traditionalist.
Smaller government, fiscal responsibility (both in government and private life), individual Constitutional rights,
personal responsibility, and the traditional values this nation was found on. Just a few things traditionalist support and believe in which progressives do not.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #66

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

I actually completely understand anti gunner thoughts when it comes to what suits them. The only thing that bugs me is when they try to enforce their personal preferences as laws on me.

I look at it like this... I'll probably never need my gun, and "it" truly PROBABLY will never happen to me. But, just incase it does, I've got an aid in my potential survival of it.

For those whom choose not to, I completely understand their reasoning and rationale. This is where I side with possibility and preparation, rather than probability.

The only stupid things I hear are comments about these inanimate objects being this big bad evil.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #67
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Except for a few things, you seem to be on the path to being a Libertarian. (Come to the dark side, We have cookies! )
I uses to be a Republican, but slowly I became a Libertarian, to the point where I am today, I practically make Ron Paul look like Newt Gingrich, so I'm what you would consider an extreme, extreme Libertarian. But now I see how dumb my views were, I used to believe all that BS propaganda about marijuana, and how we need a strong barbaric hitler-like military, but now I see how stupid and ignorant those beliefs are. Today I am a proud Libertarian! The "dark side" is great, not only do we have cookies, but we also believe in standing up for peace, tolerance, equality, non-interventionist policies, freedom, the constitution, and true American beliefs!

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
towboater Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #68

Liked 676 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Default Conversation bits from over the years here...

Them: "They could take the gun away from you and use it to kill you.."
Me: "True, but they'll have to beat me to death with it and when they turn over my body they'll find a pile of spent brass. Good luck to them.."

Them: "I refuse to be that paranoid!!"
Me: "I'm not paranoid. I carry a gun... What have I got to be paranoid about??"

Them (talking to a 3rd party and pointing at me): "He must be compensating for something (hee hee)."
Me: "Okay... you just made a generalization about me.. so in all fairness, I'll make one about you now. Considering the fact that you refuse to use, learn about or carry a gun... your d*ck must be HUGE then... So next time someone is breaking into your home 2am... or someone is attempting to carjack you... or 3 dudes are beating the crap out of you and eyeing your girl for some fun after they're done with you... you just whip out that mega-shlong and get back with me on how that works out for you there... but in all likelihood you won't, because you'll be in the morgue." and walked away.....
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The opposite of a progressive is a traditionalist.
Smaller government, fiscal responsibility (both in government and private life), individual Constitutional rights,
personal responsibility, and the traditional values this nation was found on. Just a few things traditionalist support and believe in which progressives do not.
It's the "traditional values" part that worries me. As I said, I'm pro-choice, for decriminalization of drugs (the only way you can stop the sprerad is to knock out the economic engine), allowing civil unions between same-sex persons that carry all the legal and economic advanages of marriage (churches don't have to marry 'em), etc. -- things which most most (at least my perception of them) traditionalists don't believe in.

I want to be legally able to sit in my living room and smoke dope, have sex with whoever I want, and shoot anyone who breaks in and tries to interfere.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #70
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
Them: "They could take the gun away from you and use it to kill you.."
Me: "True, but they'll have to beat me to death with it and when they turn over my body they'll find a pile of spent brass. Good luck to them.."

Them: "I refuse to be that paranoid!!"
Me: "I'm not paranoid. I carry a gun... What have I got to be paranoid about??"

Them (talking to a 3rd party and pointing at me): "He must be compensating for something (hee hee)."
Me: "Okay... you just made a generalization about me.. so in all fairness, I'll make one about you now. Considering the fact that you refuse to use, learn about or carry a gun... your d*ck must be HUGE then... So next time someone is breaking into your home 2am... or someone is attempting to carjack you... or 3 dudes are beating the crap out of you and eyeing your girl for some fun after they're done with you... you just whip out that mega-shlong and get back with me on how that works out for you there... but in all likelihood you won't, because you'll be in the morgue." and walked away.....
I get the same "you're paranoid" thing when I explain the Second Amendment to people, they say I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist who thinks the government wants to kill us all, just because I know what the purpose of the second amendment.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
NC1760 Likes This