Amazing How silly people think we are - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Amazing How silly people think we are

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1223 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 51

First of all, let me say that there are some people who shoult NOT own guns -- either they are not willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to use a firearm effectively or safely, or they lack the proper mind-set to know when it it is necessary to resort to a firearm, when it is not, and to be able to actually pull the trigger in firearms appropriate situations.

Having said that: I HATE people who say things like "it's much more likely the gun will be used against you" or "statistics show you're much morer likely to shoot yourself". Ummmmmm. Could these things happen to me? Well, sure, anythings possible. But the fact I've spent decades around firearms makes the possibility (at least in my mind) pretty remote. Don't equate me with someone who buys a gun "for self defense" then throws it in a drawer in the bedroom and never bothers to become safe and proficient with it.

Another category of comments that really p me off is people who make remarls about how ordinary citizens don't need guns, but should depend on police because police are "trained" to use weapons and it's their job to protect you. Look, I have several friends who are police officers, and a couple are proficient with guns, but that's more because of their off-duty interest than the "training" they get. And the police are not a protective agengy, they are mostly an apprehension agency. Try calling the police to come protect you BEFORE something happens.

And then there's the "I don't think the ordinary person needs assault weapons." Well, neither do I. At least according to what was the technical definition of "assault rifle" until the politicians bastardized the term to include almost any semi-automatic rifle. Look, I don't even own an AR-15 -- I think they're fugly -- but they are just an semi automatic rifle, no better or worse that any other.
People Like This 
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #12

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Buddy we shared our many movies with: "there's no reason reason for anybody to own an assault weapon -- a .30-30 is good enough." He has no idea what a .30-30 actually is and calls shotguns rifles which is why he accidently ended up with a 12 ga. rifled-barrel Mossberg to try Trap with (he doesn't hunt) and maybe for HD, who knows.

"What's the real difference between them and the .22 bolt you have, the .22 lever-action, and your 12 ga. pump vs. an "assault weapon?" I asked him. His ultimate point... "There's a guy down the street from me who is an a-hole, I hate him, and I don't want him to have one." So nobody should...

Eventually he asked what happened to all the movies we used to lend him. I explained we didn't understand he was so passionately averse to "assault weapons" until recently and I have found every film seems to have what I would call one. That could be Last of the Mohicans for all I care! Once in a while we'll find a cartoon disc somewhere for $1 and buy it just to lend him...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-18-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #13

Liked 579 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Trying to use logic with these people is akin to herding cats.
People Like This 
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2925 Times on 1721 Posts

"I don't like guns and I don't want them around my kids"
Two days later I get a phone call....
"Hey, my husband is away at drill and these guys are trying to sell me a security system and they won't leave. They don't have a business truck. How fast can you get here?"
My response....
"I'll be right over, tell me again why your military husband doesn't have his license yet?"

Children are the worst excuse. They are the perfect reason to own guns. If you can't handle educating them and keeping the guns out of their hands, you probably shouldn't have the kids.
People Like This 
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Anything Biden says about guns, like "just shoot the shotgun thru the door!"
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2479 Times on 1329 Posts
Likes Given: 879

"The police will protect you."

As if they have a cop sleeping in their second bedroom, or one follows them around every hour of their waking day.

Or "Since we don't have militias, the second amendment doesn't apply any more."

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12841 Times on 5487 Posts
Likes Given: 2100

My all time favorite excuse?

"I don't believe in guns."

BELIEVE in them? Hell, I've SEEN them!
People Like This 
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2925 Times on 1721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
My all time favorite excuse?

"I don't believe in guns."

BELIEVE in them? Hell, I've SEEN them!
Lmfao....that just brightened my morning.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #19

Liked 2350 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post

As if they have a cop sleeping in their second bedroom, or one follows them around every hour of their waking day.

I know a bunch of cops. They call themselves "Maids". They are just there to clean up the mess.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2731 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 1623

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post

This reminds me of one of my favorite t-shirts I saw many years ago when I was a full time LEO.
"Be safe tonight, sleep with a cop"!
But seriously, we have an uphill battle now to try and undo decades of indoctrination and misinformation put out by the progressives through many outlets, the most disturbing being OUR schools!!! MOST (not all) teachers are card carrying union progressives and they make it a point to try and 'teach' our children how 'bad and evil' guns are.

Last edited by JimRau; 06-18-2013 at 02:57 PM.