Alternatives To Firearms For Personal Protection - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Alternatives To Firearms For Personal Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Hire a body guard for her.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #82

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

My mom is blind and, unfortunately, her options are real limited. I've been looking for a class for blind people that trains them to defend using their cane, but no such thing seems to exist. She'd probably not be very interested anyway, being very liberal and optimistic, but I worry about her all alone. Eh, she's a real tough cookie and I'd kill, premeditatedly and viciously, anyone whom brought physical harm upon her.

Sucks though. Most people don't realize how damning it could be to lack sight if such a situation should arise. She can't fight off what she can't see without the attack being upon her. Hearing can help, but in a high stress situation the heart pounding kind of takes over all senses. So sprays, tasers, wands, are all out. She'd be just as likely to tase herself holding backward or pulling out without seeing what she's doing. Spray requires knowing at least a direction to point it.

Even her cane can be useless if not trained. However what most don't realize is how many uses it would have. Length for reach. It's also sectioned with bungee, good for strangulation or tying up a limb. Also it wraps simply into a small package by using tail end of bungee to loop all subsections together to create one helluva beating stick. I think a lot could be done to train someone to confidently and competently defend oneself. Just wish I could find it.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #83

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
My mom is blind and, unfortunately, her options are real limited. I've been looking for a class for blind people that trains them to defend using their cane, but no such thing seems to exist. She'd probably not be very interested anyway, being very liberal and optimistic, but I worry about her all alone. Eh, she's a real tough cookie and I'd kill, premeditatedly and viciously, anyone whom brought physical harm upon her.

Sucks though. Most people don't realize how damning it could be to lack sight if such a situation should arise. She can't fight off what she can't see without the attack being upon her. Hearing can help, but in a high stress situation the heart pounding kind of takes over all senses. So sprays, tasers, wands, are all out. She'd be just as likely to tase herself holding backward or pulling out without seeing what she's doing. Spray requires knowing at least a direction to point it.

Even her cane can be useless if not trained. However what most don't realize is how many uses it would have. Length for reach. It's also sectioned with bungee, good for strangulation or tying up a limb. Also it wraps simply into a small package by using tail end of bungee to loop all subsections together to create one helluva beating stick. I think a lot could be done to train someone to confidently and competently defend oneself. Just wish I could find it.
Check around some karate studio's

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #84

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol

Check around some karate studio's
I have in my neck, then again, my neck is very woodsy, perhaps something a tad more rural might do.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #85

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts

Karate is open hand and will be of limited usefulness, look for kung fu, hapkido, somwthing along those lines. Also tai chi can be good, great for balance, fitness, etc. But the better options are to have her move in with you (or other family member), or, as a last resort, a retirement home.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

Does this not scream for a Rottweiler with a special leash or what? How do they say "sic balls" in German again?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #87

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts

Balle zu erhalten! Or, Angriff Balle

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you got her a trained attack reindeer, do you think she could keep out of its way?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #89

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If you got her a trained attack reindeer, do you think she could keep out of its way?
GROAN!!!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #90
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1178 Posts
Likes Given: 2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Balle zu erhalten! Or, Angriff Balle
Angriff Balle, I think I have an Android app by that name ... Oh, sorry Angry Birds ... Almost the same thing, come to think of it

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

winds-of-change Likes This