Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Alternatives To Firearms For Personal Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Get a can of bear spray

Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

The alarm would probity be the best, along with the wasp spray. 1 in 20 people are largely unaffected by pepper spray. We had a deputy that would let you spray him and he would just keep walking up to you. Also give her age being in the same room she sprayed it in could hurt her as much or more.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #43
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8052 Times on 4647 Posts
Likes Given: 10392

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
The alarm would probity be the best, along with the wasp spray. 1 in 20 people are largely unaffected by pepper spray. We had a deputy that would let you spray him and he would just keep walking up to you. Also give her age being in the same room she sprayed it in could hurt her as much or more.
I had thought of the pepper spray also affecting her, but you made me remember that she has COPD. Pepper spray might not be a good idea. Then again, the pepper sprays don't fog the room, it is a directed stream.

The hair spray may work up close, but the wasp spray is definitely a better choice as it shoots a concentrated stream for quite a distance. I bet if you got sprayed in the eyes it could blind you for awhile. Besides, she is deathly afraid of spiders so having a can of bug spray would not be considered strange. Thinking about after an incident here, the cops show up and the BG is on the ground screaming and blind and the cops start asking questions as to what happened. Stranger things have happened you know.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #44

The pepper spray is directional and even though it doesn't fog the room believe me it still effects the room for a while. I know this for having seen it used in a cell or two with 16 inmates in them

Old 10-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
The pepper spray is directional and even though it doesn't fog the room believe me it still effects the room for a while. I know this for having seen it used in a cell or two with 16 inmates in them
Well geeze, you would want to fog that room!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Well geeze, you would want to fog that room!
Well what I mean it was used on 1 inmate but still effects others and lingers for a while.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #47

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

A gun. Many times pepper spray and tasers have not stopped people and had little to no effect.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #48
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1749 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Does she use hair spray for her own hair? The hair spray idea is a pretty good one. The wasp/hornet spray is also a very good one and worth trying to talk her into. Pretty good distance. And she can walk the spray on to the target, so marksmanship is not critical. Whether she gets the eyes or the nose or the mouth, the BG will not want to stick around.

Whether she needs a cane or not, she might consider having one around. Get one with a fairly small, pointy, bottom end. Stabbing down onto the foot can put the BG down. The pointy end puts the same amount of force (from her hands/arms) onto a much smaller surface, producing very high pressures on lots of small bones in the feet.

Also, swinging the cane up between the legs gives her a big mechanical advantage. The far end is moving a LOT faster than her hands can do, and the sudden stop below the belt line tends to be a pretty good equalizer. Also explain to her the benefits of striking the side of the joints: the knees, the ankles, the elbows, etc.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 10-13-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #49

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
A gun. Many times pepper spray and tasers have not stopped people and had little to no effect.
Plus a billion.

It is the only reliable way to stop an attack. She might not like the idea of it. None of us do. No sane person does. But please get her willing now before she has the misfortune of finding out that pepperspray, wasp killer, a pointed cane, or whatever doesn't always work.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #50

In the end it will be the gun, but I need to take steps to get her there.