Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Alternatives To Firearms For Personal Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

“One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that ‘violence begets violence.’ I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure—and in some cases I have—that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.” – Cooper vs. Terrorism

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #22

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Tell her this;

"If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to negotiate with owls. You regard their ways as wrong. They regard you as dinner." - John Farnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Dam, thats deep C3
I gotta save that-------
C3????

Hoss, your eyesight failing?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #23

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Simple. Get her comfortable with the pistol. Pepper spray, self defense training, pepper balls, tazers all work ok (sometimes) for their intended purpose one on one last ditch less lethal. Not so much good when it comes to multiple attackers. Please please please get her comfortable with the gun.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

She is more concerned about the middle of the night as she has insomnia and is awake from around 12:00 AM on. The house is pretty well fortified. My Dad spent the last 23 years of his life remodeling it and built everything as well as anything can be built. The front door is 2" thick solid old growth redwood with reinforced lock strikers set deep into the solid redwood door jambs (he built it out of an old water tank). The deadbolts are always locked, even when she has guests. Deadbolts cannot be reached and unlocked from any windows either. As a matter of fact I do have to set up a mirror so that she can see who is at the front door without opening it, Dad was working on something for that before he died and all I have to do is finish it. She sleeps in a sun-room off of the kitchen, not in the back where the bedrooms are so she is not typically where a bad guy would expect a person to be in the middle of the night.

The little dog might be an idea. She likes dogs but they haven't had one for many years. probably too soon for that at this point though. Plus, she will probably be spending the rest of her life traveling around to visit the various grandchildren. Main stops will be Southeast Missouri, Seattle area of Washington State and here in CA. Probably 1/3 of the year based in each. A little dog would work out with that. Maybe a Yorkie (the only little dog that I have ever adored is a Yorkie that my cousin in Houston has). Anyhow, probably too soon as I said. I'll have to talk to my siblings about priming that idea.

She lives in a tight neighborhood in town, the neighbors all will be keeping an eye on her, as both she and Dad have always been well loved and appreciated neighbors over the years. Not sure what 911 response time is at night in Santa Cruz, but I can't imagine it is very good.

I may be able to talk her into getting the Kimber Pepperblaster II and then maybe a Taser for backup. Then over time as she gets comfortable with the pistol she will replace them, or maybe use it if the bad guy gets up and comes after her and she has no more pepper spray or Taser cartridges.

Thanks for all of the ideas folks, keep them coming. I'll be using Cane's quotes to help her get the right mindset as well, those things help as well.

Oh, and as soon as I get connected with the right group of disgruntled California militants I will work on taking over the state, but until then I gotta work with what I have.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Tell her this;

"If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to negotiate with owls. You regard their ways as wrong. They regard you as dinner." - John Farnam

What a ripoff. He stole that from Terry Goodkind. But it still rings true.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #26

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

C3????

Hoss, your eyesight failing?
Regardless of the health of Hossfly's eyesight, I'm saving that picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

What a ripoff. He stole that from Terry Goodkind. But it still rings true.
Ya sure Terry Goodkind didn't steal it from him?
I think he did, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #27

Yup pretty sure. Terry wrote it in the Naked Empire. As far as I can tell John Farnam didn't use it until The Cult of Killing in 2010. But both have had so many great quotes they may just steal from eachother.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

I would be willing to bet that neither one of them coined the quote. Sounds to me like something similar I have heard that was a Native American saying.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #29

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

A baseball bat , a really big light shiny knife. Everyone has a fear of being cut bad.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #30
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5684 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 6045

Mke sure she has a solid door, lots of locks and slide bolts, get her an emergency response bracelet, teach her to keep an eye on who is near her and if she has any doubts about being followed or watched, dont enter her abode, go to a neighbors or a local business and call the police.

I love the Wasp spray thing, lots of power, lots of content, if that doesnt slow them down, not much will.