Alternatives To Firearms For Personal Protection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Alternatives To Firearms For Personal Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8719 Times on 5042 Posts
Likes Given: 11334

Default Alternatives To Firearms For Personal Protection

First of all I live in California, and moving is not an option so please do not respond with that suggestion.

My father recently passed away and left my step-mom with a pistol. Initially she was wanting to keep it and use it for home defense as she now lives alone. The gun has been hidden away for a long, long time for reasons I won't go into, but suffice it to say that she has never fired it and my Dad probably hadn't fired it for 20 years or so. I have been working with her in educating her on firearms safety and what she must do to remain legal in owning the gun.

I spoke with her yesterday and she is now indicating that she does not feel that she would be comfortable having the gun in the house, but she does want something "just in case". I suggested that I could look into other "less than lethal" options for her. I am thinking of a Taser or a high quality pepper spray such as the Kimber unit.

Does anybody have any advice to offer on either of those or something else (besides moving out of CA)?

I am going to continue working with her and hopefully make her more comfortable with handling her revolver, and maybe over time she will be comfortable with having it in the house for its intended purpose. This has included and will continue to include having her over for shooting practice regularly.

(OH, and if she does decide not to hang onto the gun it will end up being mine. I would prefer though that she keep it for her protection, just so you all know I do not have ulterior motives in presenting the alternatives to the gun.)

Again, do not suggest that she move!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Strong flashlights. Also known as " Tac Lights". Google.

Hey, it's not considered "assault" when a LEO

blinds you...

Old 10-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

A pepper master from kimber would be great, I'm assuming that is what you meant?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDozer View Post
A pepper master from kimber would be great, I'm assuming that is what you meant?
I think so. It has two cartridges and looks pistol-ish? I like the idea of having more than one shot which is one of the disadvantages to the Taser- one shot and then you have to put in a new cartridge.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Strong flashlights. Also known as " Tac Lights". Google.

Hey, it's not considered "assault" when a LEO

blinds you...
I have never known a flashlight to put an assailant on the ground without getting into hand-to hand. Mom is near 80 years old so I am thinking she isn't going to be earning her black belt in anything anytime soon.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I think so. It has two cartridges and looks pistol-ish? I like the idea of having more than one shot which is one of the disadvantages to the Taser- one shot and then you have to put in a new cartridge.
Yeah that's it. Or get her a lcp (I think thats the name) in .22

Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #7

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I'm sure she's familiar with wasp/hornet spray...25' stream and I can testify first hand through my summer 'bee battles' that is most unpleasant when it gets into the eyes...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDozer View Post
Yeah that's it. Or get her a lcp (I think thats the name) in .22
Its not the caliber that has her intimidated, its the fact that it is a firearm. I am working on that.

BTW, her gun is a S&W model 60 in .38 Special. I like the gun and think it would be perfect for her to use for personal protection but she is uncomfortable with the idea right now.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I'm sure she's familiar with wasp/hornet spray...25' stream and I can testify first hand through my summer 'bee battles' that is most unpleasant when it gets into the eyes...
I will suggest it. I am familiar with it (By the way, I am a beekeeper. Wasp and hornet spray is not for bees!!) but she doesn't think that way. I'm working on it though.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My gal carried the Kimber Life-Act for quite some time before we got her comfortable with a pistol.

It's not ideal, I will say that upfront, but if she was going to carry it, we were going to test it. That sh!t hurts.... LOL

Downside is that is only carries two shots, and it doesn't incapacitate, is just makes you a crying, wheezing, snot faced mess.

Before the Life Act came out we got her a tazer like this one. http://www.antarespro.com/5021845-item-Taser-44009-796430440096.aspx?sgd=349d317d319d309d316

But without the lazer on it. It's bulky, so small hands have a tough time with it. One nice feature is the plastic cartridge can be replaced with ones designed to go out past 20 feet, I believe.

If she misses with the barbs, she can pull the plastic cartridge and it becomes a touch tazer that will burn the hell out of your skin. I tested that one too, on the shoulder where it's good and meaty, and it took me right to the floor without any troubles.

Cold Steel makes a variation of Bear Spray called Inferno that has a handle and it's a good size can that could fill a hallway and make life pretty miserable.

http://www.coldsteel.com/pepper-spray.html

Just off the top of my head. Two I have tested and can vouch for, the Cold Steel has a video you can watch and see what you think.

JD