Alternating ammo in mag?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Alternating ammo in mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Default Alternating ammo in mag?

For self defense mags, I've heard folks talk of alternating individual rounds between self defense rounds and round tip rounds within the same mag. I am wondering... (1) What your thoughts are on this? and (2) For those who have actually tried it (on a target of course), what difference did it make in your shooting?

Sent from my ridiculously over-priced iPhone using Firearms Talk

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Different bullets weights will affect POI.

If the bullets weights are the same, the POI should be close.

I don't understand why one would do that (alternating). If I have to pull out the firearm for SD, then I want SD.
If I am on the range, I would want to see where my SD ammo hits, so I would shoot some, but I would be using mainly target ammo on the range.

So you could believe that I do not alternate.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staidan View Post
For self defense mags, I've heard folks talk of alternating individual rounds between self defense rounds and round tip rounds within the same mag. I am wondering... (1) What your thoughts are on this? and (2) For those who have actually tried it (on a target of course), what difference did it make in your shooting?

1) Seems like an answer to a question I've never asked. If for some reason one is using a caliber with expansion issues, a HP failing to expand will act much the same as a RN. Why complicate things with oddball loadouts? Choose a caliber of adequate performance using ammo designed for the task at hand.
2) Haven't thought to try it. Assuming one chooses similar performing loads of matching weights, the difference should be minimal for POI and recoil, at least at typical SD ranges. CCI's Lawman brand produces both practice ammo and HP ammo with similar performance and consistency in mind.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I see zero advantage -----a couple of disadvantages--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 05-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

your right, it has been talked about by folks before. most of the time the discussion ends with more negatives than positives. such as, some pistols may not load the next round properly, you cant be sure of what round is which while firing in a defensive situatuon. if you decide its what you want to do all i can say is be sure to practice and make sure your firearm, and ammo combination work reliably before needing it.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have heard some people do this and their reasoning is logical, but personally i see it having a disadvantage for a couple of reasons.

POI can change between different types of ammo.

could cause possible feeding or ejection issues.

better suggestion IMO, would be to carry two mags loaded with two different types of ammo, rather that alternating the ammo in one mag.

it seems it would be much better to drop a mag and go to a different mag with another type of ammo.

these are just my thoughts an opinions and not based on any real proof.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I've seen people mention it here in regards to 32acp and 380acp defensive handguns. The problem is that 32 hp lacks penetration, while fmj can still over penetrate. Same is true about 380.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3180 Times on 1832 Posts
Likes Given: 2055

I used to alternate JHP and FMJ in my .380 until I found and then purchased several boxes of FIOCCHI EXTREMA JHP with the Hornady XTP bullet. Now, I carry two mags stuffed with the EXTREMAS.

Here's why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EDsPgyhI7To

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2156 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 802

I alternate ammo in m 9mm. Thee 9mm is pretty lame. If shoot an attacker twice I need more penetration because the next shots are going into his his pelvis or legs. I am not so cocky to think I can shoot someone in the head in a life or death situation but I can shoot his lower body that is a much larger target. FMJ ammo will penetrate and break larger bones that might stop a HP bullet. I am going to have a mixture of ammo when I am shooting in the lower body.

I am not going to be concerned with over penetration. Unlike NYPD I passed hunters safety. I am not going to shoot into a crowd.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 05-28-2014, 03:29 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Hungarian stacked magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staidan View Post
Back in the day, late 60's - early 70's, we taught about the Hungarian stacked magazine, named after the Hungarian method of alternating layers of potatoes then ham and other ingredients or alternating layers of fillings between pancakes. The idea, then as now, was to alternate different styles of bullets in the ammo in the magazine to increase the probability of getting tactical hits - full metal jackets for penetration through car doors or other partial cover/concealment then "flying ashtrays" (HP's) for devastating wound cavities in flesh. Arguments arose about which to start in the chamber as the first round. Different camps supported FMJ's first vs. HP's first. Back then there wasn't much variety in ammo choices and the first big, open-point HP's were making their debuts. At self-defensive ranges, the POI's probably aren't going to be so different as to rule out the Hungarian stack, but the choice of modern bullet technology makes it almost a moot point. There are several incredible SD rounds now that penetrate as well as a FMJ and expand impressively, Winchester's Bonded PDX-1's and Hornady's Critical Defense/Duty's & Speer Gold Dot's come to mind, among others. I, too, was caught up in the Hungarian stack for a while, but quickly lost interest as I wanted uniformity in my ammo and knowing exactly where the next round would hit if I needed to and had the time to be ultra-accurate. As Kenny Hackathorn & I always said, "you can't count during a gunfight," so you could never be sure what round was next.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Axxe55 Likes This