Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Alternating Ammo FMJ and JHP.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon

That's what I use as well. And now Hornady has Critical Duty which has even better penetration.
It's too good. Critical defense will do what you need. If you use critical duty, you better be on duty. Shooting through cars and windshields probably means you were not in immediate fear for your life.

That is one round that will be darn near impossible to defend in personal defense cases.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by CipsterX View Post
Do this with my .380 ONLY. First shot Winchester PDX1 next Rem UMC and so on. Both 95grain.

I would not recommend this with higher calibers do to over penetration but with a .380 I believe it's a good idea.

Thoughts?
The first two bullets in both my 380 and 45 are Hornady Critical Defense HPs followed by PMC FMJs.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
It's too good. Critical defense will do what you need. If you use critical duty, you better be on duty. Shooting through cars and windshields probably means you were not in immediate fear for your life.

That is one round that will be darn near impossible to defend in personal defense cases.
A good defensive shooting it wont matter if you use a 50bmg or a pellet gun. Its only when your actions are deemed iffy at best that commercially made defensive ammunition possibly comes into question.

Such as firing a warning shot or shooting someone after he punches you in the nose for chasing him down after the police told you to stay put... etc. At that point when the discharge of a firearm goes from self defense to possible murder or manslaughter, thats when they take your gun apart look at your ammo, read your internet history, talk to your friends, relatives, coworkers etc.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1144 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1680

To use a variety of ammo in one magazine may cause a cop, grand jury, or DA to consider you to have given more than a normal amount of attention to the amount of damage you wanted to do. It may hurt your chances of looking like an innocent victim. Also, you need to consider that you may find yourself facing more than one BG, and that will negate your careful stacking of the ammo in your magazine. The gun and ammo you carry for self defense should be of a type that avoids making you look like you are obsessed with the preparation for use thereof. You should do everything you can to appear "squeaky clean". To take the life of another is a very serious matter, and once you have done that, you will be examined under a serious microscope.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 05-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
To use a variety of ammo in one magazine may cause a cop, grand jury, or DA to consider you to have given more than a normal amount of attention to the amount of damage you wanted to do. It may hurt your chances of looking like an innocent victim. Also, you need to consider that you may find yourself facing more than one BG, and that will negate your careful stacking of the ammo in your magazine. The gun and ammo you carry for self defense should be of a type that avoids making you look like you are obsessed with the preparation for use thereof. You should do everything you can to appear "squeaky clean". To take the life of another is a very serious matter, and once you have done that, you will be examined under a serious microscope.
Food for thought.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #16

Liked 1081 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 273

My idea on the subject is select one defensive round and stay with it. I would not want the additional distraction of having to wonder what round was coming up next. The best bet is select a caliber that doesn't make round selection a critical decision; .357 mag, .45 ACP, etc., then make dang sure your firearm will digest the round every single time, and that you can hit your target.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You can get into jury arguments all day. Why carry a full-size 9mm with 15 rounds when an 8 round is easier to conceal? You must be a raving murderer.

I think alternating fmj / jhp might be a bit paranoid but I can see half and half.

Its called hedging your bets. I hadn't even thought about going fmj in winter but it makes sense. If you carry to defend yourself at all then you are thinking about it.

Haven't seen where using flashlight / laser showed premeditation or over thinking.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #18

Liked 2343 Times on 1524 Posts

Op, I see your point using a 380. Myself, I would still use a premium HP, except in winter a fmj as previously mentioned.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

IMHO, alternating ammo means you have little faith in either round. A good HP in a decent caliber will be mure than sufficient in most situations. WTS, Even a 9mm in very cold climates with heavy clothing and a substantial girth with be likely to fail. In the winter in the northern areas, I would prefer my 10mm with 175 gr STHP's or 180 gr Gold Dots at 1200+ fps

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally said I only do this with my .380 no other caliber. If you have to shoot someone faith is gone and well JHP or FMJ's together IMO with a .380 will get the job done.