Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   almost shot a pit bull today (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/almost-shot-pit-bull-today-79304/)

gaspump86 12-24-2012 05:01 PM

almost shot a pit bull today

Driving home I see a kid hiding in a ditch behind a fence from a snarling pit bull.... I turn around , park, & draw... I jump out and yell at the dog to intimidate him.... it worked and the dog retreated....
The kid was very very greatful

hiwall 12-24-2012 08:20 PM

I was out walking a month or so ago and a teenage boy asked if he could walk with me past a certain house(I was armed OC). He said he was waiting in hopes someone would come along as the dog there always chased him. I had no problem that day.

Tackleberry1 12-24-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspump86 (Post 1064393)
Driving home I see a kid hiding in a ditch behind a fence from a snarling pit bull.... I turn around , park, & draw... I jump out and yell at the dog to intimidate him.... it worked and the dog retreated....
The kid was very very greatful

Wished you'd shot it...

I'm a dog lover but I'd put down an aggressive mut in a heartbeat.

Tack

SSGN_Doc 12-24-2012 08:50 PM

My Brother in law had to shoot a Pit that had him cornered in his car. There were two of them that had gotten out from the neighbors house. He had warned them what would happen if the dogs were not controlled. They both were in his yard and one charged him when he got out of the car. He got back in drew his Khar .40 and shot the one. The other decided it was time to go home.

He called the police and reported the shooting. They came out and did the report. Then they went to the neighbors and cited them for failure to control their dogs which had already had several complaints from other neighbors. The other dog was taken by animal control.

Sucks that the dogs were not raised and trained right, and that the owners didn't take care of them properly. I have had neighbors with Pit Bulls that were fine dogs, and well behaved. I tend to blame the owners.

partdeux 12-25-2012 01:21 AM

anti 2A neighbor began to get it after her dog was attacked by a loss pit. Cost her several hundred dollars in vet bills. She knows I carry and when I asked why she didn't just shoot the damn thing, it's like a light bulb went off in her head.

BeyondTheBox 12-25-2012 01:43 AM

When I was young a neighbor had two very rambunctious germs that would always get lose and terrorized the neighborhood. Pops talked to owners once, from there we called animal control. Control did nothing, said to dangerous because they worked like pack animals and ganged up. I'm glad I didn't own guns back then, 'cause I'd have gladly shot them.

gaspump86 12-25-2012 02:52 PM

I had a pit bull before I had kids.
I never wronged that dog... but she couldn't be trusted around strangers..... when my son was on the way I gave her away.... not risking it

guthy125 12-26-2012 02:56 PM

Growing up I had a red nose pit. Got him when I was 5 yrs old and he was a puppy. Once he got older he was very protective of me and when my little brother was born he was also protective of him. His name was Angus and he would always either sleep in one of our beds or on the floor between us.
Unfortunately when I was 18/19 he started going cenial and wondered out of the house one day (had doors open cause air wasn't working and too damn hot on s fl). He didn't do anything but go down the block and someone called animal control.
Control was a real arsehole to us. My dog had cancer and the vet said there was really nothing to do but put him down. But we wanted to let him go naturally. Sadly my parents went to put him down cause animal control said we didn't feed him enough. Even though he ate 4 times a day he was really skinny. Sorry for getting off topic.
Back to it. In my neighborhood there are a bunch of folks who have pits. Some of them aren't so friendly, my wife found a kitten outside work one day, took it home raised it kept it her dad's house. One day he tells us he saw the cat dead on the sidewalk. It was attacked by a pit.
I love pits but as the gentleman said above its the owners.

getem2011 12-26-2012 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by guthy125
Growing up I had a red nose pit. Got him when I was 5 yrs old and he was a puppy. Once he got older he was very protective of me and when my little brother was born he was also protective of him. His name was Angus and he would always either sleep in one of our beds or on the floor between us.
Unfortunately when I was 18/19 he started going cenial and wondered out of the house one day (had doors open cause air wasn't working and too damn hot on s fl). He didn't do anything but go down the block and someone called animal control.
Control was a real arsehole to us. My dog had cancer and the vet said there was really nothing to do but put him down. But we wanted to let him go naturally. Sadly my parents went to put him down cause animal control said we didn't feed him enough. Even though he ate 4 times a day he was really skinny. Sorry for getting off topic.
Back to it. In my neighborhood there are a bunch of folks who have pits. Some of them aren't so friendly, my wife found a kitten outside work one day, took it home raised it kept it her dad's house. One day he tells us he saw the cat dead on the sidewalk. It was attacked by a pit.
I love pits but as the gentleman said above its the owners.

Agreed.

Attachment 76448

Here's mine.

gaspump86 12-26-2012 06:43 PM

I don't hate pits or those who have them.... even if u want it to be vicious.... JUST MAKE DAMN SURE IT IS LOCKED UP good