Advice for this soon-to-be new handgun owner - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Advice for this soon-to-be new handgun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger View Post
That's the tough part is that rifles are my only experience so far. I think going to a gun range and trying out some pistols is really going to be my best bet to figuring out what I can comfortably handle.

Why would you not recommend DAO? From what I have read, it is recommended for the purpose I'm getting the gun for (concealed carry). I'm not saying that to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
The best advice has already been given here....
But nothing is wrong with a DAO gun. It is just different than SAO and DA/SA - advice to try several guns out (firing them) will be the best. Try out a few with the different style triggers to see which one you like best.
I have a S&W Bodyguard .38 revolver which is pretty much the same thing as the Ruger LCR (same size - DAO - etc...). I carry it often but I also carry other larger pistols as well. The Ruger would definitly be a sub-compact so if you do get it, I would recommend putting it in a pocket holster and carrying it in your front or back pocket. This is what I do w/mine - very easily concealed.

The biggest thing you need to think about is that you need to train with whatever you get. So you need to try out several options (fire them) first because you don't want to end up with something that you do not enjoy shooting. If you don't enjoy shooting it on a regular basis (ie..train w/it) then you will not be familiar with it. You need to be intimately familiar with any gun you carry (just in case you ever need to use it).

As others have mentioned, no gun is perfect & there are trade offs with anything you will choose. One of the trade offs with my Bodyguard (or the LCR) is that since it is so small & light (which makes it a great concealable weapon) that it transfers much of the recoil from the round fired - directly into your hand.
Mine can be a bit painful to shoot - especially with the +P loads that I carry - after shooting several rounds.
I have several guns (long guns and pistols) and I know this and I train with mine to get myself used to this. The DAO trigger pull is very heavy & very long. This offers a challenge (compared to an ultra-light SAO 1911-like trigger) in being able to hit anything. I train with mine to know and be prepared for the exact instant that my trigger breaks. I need to know this in order to know when to aim (if I am aiming the entire length of my trigger pull - this requires force and so my hand/aim is all over the place).

Anyway, I do not mean to write a book but I have learned to enjoy shooting mine because it is a challenge to shoot as well with it as I do with my other pistols.
Some of my other pistols are much easier to aim with much lighter & shorter triggers and they are all steel & heavy & larger (so not near as much perceived recoil) - but their trade off is that they do not carry concealed as easily.

Last edited by bartwatkins; 01-30-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #32

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger View Post
Why would you not recommend DAO? From what I have read, it is recommended for the purpose I'm getting the gun for (concealed carry). I'm not saying that to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
Simply due to your own experience. I couldn't possibly know if you will shoot a long DAO trigger well or not, but through a recommendation to choose a gun with a shorter trigger action I can ensure its something most similar to what you already know and comfortable because of it.

It's not because that's what I prefer. There are DAO guns with nice triggers, but very few pocketable versions.

As others have stated, it would be best if you could shoot some different guns and get a feel for what you like and shoot well. Maybe a range that rents or friends with options that will share their guns and experience.

These would be my suggestions...

Taurus PT709 slim (9mm, short DA/SA)
Ruger SR9C (9mm, short DA)
Sig P238 (380 acp SAO)
Sig P930 (9mm SAO)
Kahr (9mm or 380 acp, medium DAO)

If you were close I'd be glad to let ya have at my lot and bring out my friends whom I gave my DAO guns to, after discovering how much I hate those triggers, one of which is the LCP.

You can also get an idea, not a great one, of how long a trigger will feel by going to a shop and asking if you can dry fire some different guns. Some might let you, some not. It's not the same as when it goes bang, but you can get a feel for when and where in the trigger travel it breaks and see for yourself what I'm talking about.

Again, a long trigger may very well serve you. There are varying opinions on what is and isn't safe for carry. In the end is what best suits you for your lifestyle and how you train yourself and practice.

Good luck man, let us know how things go and what you discover and wind up with!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger

What exactly is the difference between a pocket and compact? Size? Caliber? Both? Geez am I coming off like a total newb here? ^_^;
Primeporkchop got it right.

The LCP or a Beretta nano is a subcompact.
A Glock G19 or SIG P229 are examples of compacts, believe it or not.
Full size guns would be a G17, 1911 or a SIG P226 as examples.

Subs can be found in most handgun calibers, from .22lr to .45 ACP and the compacts and full sized are obviously found in just about all the popular handgun calibers.

Keep in mind the lighter weight the pistol and the larger the caliber the more felt recoil. And the shorter the barrel (and hence the sight radius) the less accuracy at longer range.
This is why it pays to shoot as many different pistols as you can.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #34
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

One thing to add to clarify if you're confused about all the trigger talk. Since you're looking at CC, you obviously don't want the gun accidentally discharging when drawing/holstering on your hip. (There's really no such thing as an AD - it simple means you weren't following safe firearm handling procedures.) AD happens to trained professionals, so as Joe Citizen I want to be very cognizant of what's going to make me feel safest with my skill set. This leads basically to the topic of safeties.

DAO is inherently safest because you've got to really pull that trigger a long way to make it break. However the tradeoffs have been noted in the posts. DA/SA with a decocker provides the +- of a DA and SA. Manual safeties - people love or hate as you need to remember (train) to switch them on/off to fire in a panic situation. XD and XDM have a grip safety.

Some things to think about when you're at the store trying these and when you're carrying it around on your hip. Ultimately as noted before, you'll become proficient with whatever you choose with dry and live fire practice.

You're asking all the right questions. Don't overthink it. Now get to a store

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Last edited by ScottA; 01-31-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #35

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
A Glock G19 or SIG P229 are examples of compacts, believe it or not.
You got that right...if you ever get klunked in the head with 32ozs. of all-steel P229 you'ld probably demand a new classification for it

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
You got that right...if you ever get klunked in the head with 32ozs. of all-steel P229 you'ld probably demand a new classification for it
OUCH!!!

I just made the comment based on its size, but you really brought it home Sonic!
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #37

I have the LCR in 38 + P and the Taurus Millenium Pro 45. The Ruger is narrower and very comfortable to carry IWB. The 45 on the other hand is just wide enough to make IWB uncomfortable. I carry it outside the waste band in a Safepacker.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67
DAO is inherently safest because you've got to really pull that trigger a long way to make it break. However the tradeoffs have been noted in the posts. DA/SA with a decocker provides the +- of a DA and SA. Manual safeties - people love or hate as you need to remember (train) to switch them on/off to fire in a panic situation. XD and XDM have a grip safety.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. The lack of safety on the LCP had me a bit worried, to be honest, but understanding the mechanics helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67
You're asking all the right questions. Don't overthink it. Now get to a store
Thanks! Will do!

Wow lots of great advice guys. Thanks! I'll be heading to the range next week so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info on the DAO and

Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't consider a 229 or g19 compact by any definition of the term even after handling a 226 or g17. But, per the industry and manufacturers they are. They fit my hand just right.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP

Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Make sure you do your own research on the laws and not go off of what your cop friend says entirely. No offence to any leo on here but as I'm sure this isn't the case with most of you but a lot of cops don't know whe laws as well as a lot of citizens do. I've sat in a cop car for 30 minutes before while a sherriff was trying to figure out if it was legal for me to have a loaded handgun in the glove box when I didn't have my ccw. A little research can save you a lot of trouble, time, and money. Especially if that leo friend is retired and may not be aware of new laws on the books.