Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Advice for this soon-to-be new handgun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67

If you're new, stick with .22 or 9 mm. If this is for CC or home defense and you're on a limited budget, opt for the 9 mm. Take a pistol class if you haven't already as well. Consider it insurance in safe operation instruction.
Taking classes and training is a definite. Will definitely check out some 9mm. Got to talk more in-depth with my retired LEO friend too and see what he has to try out or what he might recommend. Sounds like I have A LOT more research to do but it'll be worth it.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #22

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

It's really hard to recommend something without watching you shoot different styles. Rifles are usually short triggers, LCP is not. I think trigger action is the most important thing to understand and gain experience with. I wouldn't suggest DAO, but if you can't shoot one the rest is on you to figure as you go. I'd look at the Sig p238 & p938.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
It's really hard to recommend something without watching you shoot different styles. Rifles are usually short triggers, LCP is not. I think trigger action is the most important thing to understand and gain experience with. I wouldn't suggest DAO, but if you can't shoot one the rest is on you to figure as you go. I'd look at the Sig p238 & p938.
That's the tough part is that rifles are my only experience so far. I think going to a gun range and trying out some pistols is really going to be my best bet to figuring out what I can comfortably handle.

Why would you not recommend DAO? From what I have read, it is recommended for the purpose I'm getting the gun for (concealed carry). I'm not saying that to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #24

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

There is no perfect gun. And there are lots of opinions.

Trials at a gun range would be helpful. Ask questions. If someone makes you feel like an idiot because you don't know something - that person is not a good person and would not dispense useful advice to you anyway. He (or she) would be filled with attitude and not facts. Move on past that type person. Ignore.

The larger the gun the easier it is to handle and control the recoil. But the harder it is to conceal.
And the opposite is true - the smaller the gun, the harder it is to handle and control the recoil (due to it's light weight - heavier weight guns absorb the shock of the discharge better than light weight guns).
Two basic types of handguns - revolvers and semi-automatics. There is a vast difference in the way the two operate. Revolvers are generally considered more reliable, simpler, more straightforward. Semi-auto's are more complex, more difficult to master, have various jamming potentials that must be recognized and mastered.

The gun you initially chose, the LCP, is a very easily concealed gun - I carry one in a back pocket holster. It is very lightweight - so it's recoil is not fun at the gun range for practice. But it has never failed. But it is also a semi-auto - with all the semi-auto peculiarities and cautions.
Myself - I have a number of other conceal carry guns available - some revolvers, 38 Special and .357 Mag, semi-auto including the .380, 9mm, and 45 ACP. This is just me - I do not like carrying a large weapon - unless I am dressed in bulky clothes. The LCP is my most used carry - by far, due to it's size - though it is not my preferred weapon - if all things were equal in a situation.

But the best gun for a person is the gun that they will actually carry - not the one they were talked into buying and then it sits home because it is so difficult to carry. And what is easy for one person to carry may be difficult for another to carry. Everyone is different - in their capability, expectations, willingness to adapt, etc....

I wish you well on your new journey.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

You can't really say a 380 has punch but it's better than a rock. In the end you will discover you need more than one gun. The 380 is OK in the summer or at times when there isn't much of a threat. In a rough neighborhood or on the open road I would rather have 9mm or a 357. But you have to start with your first gun and the LCP is a gun you will carry often. Once you get back on your feet try to pick up a small 22 so you can get some cheap target practice. Any mouse gun will do even a JA-22. 380 ammo isn't cheap. $35, plus range fees, transportation for 100 rounds of practice adds up quick.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger View Post

Why would you not recommend DAO? From what I have read, it is recommended for the purpose I'm getting the gun for (concealed carry). I'm not saying that to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.
Some people like DAO. Some people like SAO. Some people like DA/SA.

Personally since my carry method is in my pocket, I prefer to carry a DAO trigger. DAO allows me to carry comfortably without need of an external safety, and I don't trust an external safety on a gun carried in a pocket. There are more opportunities to snag an external safety with pocket carry.

SAO I prefer if not carrying in my pocket or on a range gun. SAO are typically lighter and shorter, thus lend themselves to more accurate shots.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #27

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

You really want to shoot something before you buy it. Smaller guns kick harder. I have shot the LCP. I didnt like it. Dont get me wrong. It will do the job. But there are a lot of options out there. Just keep in mind a lot of people have fallen in love with a gun at the store. They thing wow this thing feels great in my hand. I love the color of the grip or something like that. Then the first time it goes Bang they trade it for something else.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #28

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
So the Ruger I'm looking at would be considered a pocket gun then? That would make sense. I'm looking for something that I can easily conceal that will still have decent stopping power. My uncle has a few handguns that I've tried and one was a little derringer, and though its VERY easily concealed, I didn't feel like it would really do me much good =\ I know I could get something with a bit more punch than the .380 but I do want to try and stay in the pocket or compact range. I'm going to call that gun range tomorrow and see what they have that I can try.
Look into a Beretta Nano or Ruger LC9, better stopping power (9mm) than a LCP. Only a little larger than a LCP. And I've seen them at a fair price. If you want to stick with a .380, the Bersa Thunder series are reliable and feel good in the hand.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 01-30-2013 at 01:07 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 412 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Grr I was going to edit that post more since I verified that I did know what dry fire meant.

KJG it sounds like your recommending whatever round I can best shoot accurately. Am I right?

Gr8oldguy, why did you hate your LCP? I've read a lot of people's posts who say they love the gun.
The sights were fairly useless. The gun, for me, is too light and the recoil was very uncomfortable for me. Mind you I have a Bersa 45acp that I can shoot all day long with no issues. While I practiced with the LCP every week, it wasn't unusual that after a box my hand would shake from gripping the LCP, and that was with the finger extension on the magazine. I like to feel the weight of the gun. To me, it gives the firearm more stability and it's easier for me to handle. I like to shoot. I carry because I can, but more importantly to me, I want a gun that will protect me and mine, and be fun to shoot. There's nothing fun about shooting an LCP. Good luck in your search.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #30

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Taking classes and training is a definite. Will definitely check out some 9mm. Got to talk more in-depth with my retired LEO friend too and see what he has to try out or what he might recommend. Sounds like I have A LOT more research to do but it'll be worth it.
SO glad to hear that

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This