Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Advice for this soon-to-be new handgun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger View Post
What exactly is the difference between a pocket and compact? Size? Caliber? Both? Geez am I coming off like a total newb here? ^_^;
Ther'es nothing wrong w/ being a newbie. Being a newbie does not = being an idiot. Being an idiot is being a newbie who thinks they know it all and never asks for help or advice

I still consider myself a newbie - but i'll help out where I can

Basically the way I understand it, a "pocket pistol" is a sub compact firearm

So you're looking at compact vs sub compact.

So this (sub compact)

or this (compact)

As far as I know the main differences will be rounds carried. I think either one could go up to something like a .40 S&W but I believe most sub compacts are 380

Personally, I'd prefer something a little larger than a sub compact. But thats just my preference

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable members here who could elaborate further, or even show me where I'm wrong

But thats my general understanding.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So the Ruger I'm looking at would be considered a pocket gun then? That would make sense. I'm looking for something that I can easily conceal that will still have decent stopping power. My uncle has a few handguns that I've tried and one was a little derringer, and though its VERY easily concealed, I didn't feel like it would really do me much good =\ I know I could get something with a bit more punch than the .380 but I do want to try and stay in the pocket or compact range. I'm going to call that gun range tomorrow and see what they have that I can try.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 397 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I carried an LCP for a long time. I shot it at least once a week at the range. I found it to be dependable, fairly accurate and easy to carry. I traded a couple of months ago because I just hated it. I moved to a larger gun, SA/DA and IWB carry. I am much more comfortable and very happy with the change.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #14
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

As everyone mentioned, find a store you can at least handle and dry fire several models. Trigger actions are something you need to feel. Some people love SA, others DAO, DA/SA, Striker...you need to feel it and also what gun fits best in your hand.

Take your time. You're investing a lot of money into this - gun, ammo (if you can find it and expensive right now), range time if you can find a place to practice, eventually holster, light, other toys. Dropping $300-$1000 is not a purchase you want to regret.

There's a lot of posts here of people looking for new handguns. Search through them, check the advice, and there are some good reviews (and poor ones) on YouTube and written reviews via Google to get you started. People here will be happy to guide you as you go along.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And you asked about caliber. One word - accuracy. <edit: caliber has relevance but shot placement is key regardless of what you choose. If you don't hit the BG in the critical areas, it won't matter if you're Dirty Harry or not.>

.22 is a great cal to start with to learn. You could put someone down with good shot placement, but not ideal. 9 mm is most popular for a reason. It's a good balance between cost and effectiveness. .40 in my opinion is the perfect balance of stopping power, kinetic energy, number of rounds you can get in a magazine, but is more expensive and is known to be a snappy round which is a bit harder to control when you're new. .45 should stop anything if accurately shot, but guns hold less rounds. I'm sure others will chime in but start yourself with .22 or 9 mm and learn good habits and marksmanship.

Last edited by KJG67; 01-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dry fire? As in cock and fire and empty gun? That's what I did with that Ruger, checked the trigger action, made sure cocking the slide was easy enough, etc.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Grr I was going to edit that post more since I verified that I did know what dry fire meant.

KJG it sounds like your recommending whatever round I can best shoot accurately. Am I right?

Gr8oldguy, why did you hate your LCP? I've read a lot of people's posts who say they love the gun.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger
Dry fire? As in cock and fire and empty gun? That's what I did with that Ruger, checked the trigger action, made sure cocking the slide was easy enough, etc.
Yep. Aim it in a safe direction (don't sweep anyone). Watch the sites when you pull the trigger and see how we'll you can keep it on target. Do it several times. It's not ideal and will give you no idea about actual recoil, but I personally have found when looking for a new pistol that the triggers/sights I keep more steady at dry fire are the ones i tend to shoot better with. That may just be me, but it you can't rent it it's about as close as you'll get.

Search the web for dry fire and you'll see it's a great training tool. Always buy some snap caps though. And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS triple check the gun isn't loaded and all ammo and magazines are in another room when you are practicing.

Last edited by KJG67; 01-30-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger
Grr I was going to edit that post more since I verified that I did know what dry fire meant.

KJG it sounds like your recommending whatever round I can best shoot accurately. Am I right?
If you're new, stick with .22 or 9 mm. If this is for CC or home defense and you're on a limited budget, opt for the 9 mm. Take a pistol class if you haven't already as well. Consider it insurance in safe operation instruction.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1994 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger View Post
So the Ruger I'm looking at would be considered a pocket gun then? That would make sense. I'm looking for something that I can easily conceal that will still have decent stopping power. My uncle has a few handguns that I've tried and one was a little derringer, and though its VERY easily concealed, I didn't feel like it would really do me much good =\ I know I could get something with a bit more punch than the .380 but I do want to try and stay in the pocket or compact range. I'm going to call that gun range tomorrow and see what they have that I can try.
I carried a very similar gun to the LCP in my pocket for two years, Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. It is very easy to carry in the pocket, and I have no problem trusting a 380.

That said, I just moved up to a Kahr PM9 (9mm) that I have been carrying in my pocket for 2 weeks now. It is a slightly larger form factor, but still conceals and carries very well in a pocket holster. As I said, I have no problem carrying a 380; but if you can carry a 9 instead, why not?

FYI, there are no standards for what manufacturers call compact, or sub-compact, or micro-compact, or where-the-heck-did-that-thing-go-compact.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA