Advice for this soon-to-be new handgun owner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Advice for this soon-to-be new handgun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Advice for this soon-to-be new handgun owner

Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a gun for personal protection that I will carry concealed (once I get the proper license, of course).

I'm seriously looking at a Ruger LCP. I checked one out at a local store and the weight and grip were very comfortable in my hands. I'm told it's important to get a gun that "feels right" but I have no experience with handguns so I really don't know how to go about choosing a gun.

So am I on the right track or is there something else I should do before purchasing this gun?

I've only fired rifles so this will be my first handgun. I have already talked to a friend who is a retired LEO about gun training and going over applicable laws and such.

Is there anything else I need to do? Also, anyone want to rec a good holster? I'm looking at the SmartCarry because undetected concealment is really important to me. I plan to carry this with me wherever legally possible and don't want to freak anyone out.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 481

Try to find a range or gun store that rents handguns and shoot as many as you can. Maybe your retired LEO friend has some you can shoot. Ask any of your friends if they have handguns you could shoot.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #3

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

dont' base your decision on the first gun you pick up - that might feel right, but your experience doesnt give you much to compare it to.

Follow Gatoragn's advice. Seek out a range to rent a gun, or some friends who already own them, offer to buy some ammo if your friend will let you test out his firearms (don't make the mistake of insinuating ammo is cheap...it'll lose you shooting buddies real quick)

You'll do yourself many many favors if you take a few extra steps now to ensure you'll get a gun you're going to be happy with later.

Don't do what my wife did, buy the first guy she set her eyes on because she liked the looks.

Then, after she met me, fired some of my guns, wanted to trade it away immediately and get something better.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My retired LEO friend is about the only person I can think of that would have any guns for me to try. I don't really have any friends or family that are into handguns (it's mostly deer hunting rifles and shotguns).

There's not a gun range that's all that close to me (the closest is 40 miles) but I guess it would be worth it to really know for sure what gun will be best for me.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #5

Less than an hour drive to make sure you don't blow money on a gun you will later regret doesn't seem like a bad trade to me =)

I love all guns, but there are several I wouldn't spend my own money on. The more you own, I think, the more you'll agree w/ that

Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess when you put it that way, it makes more sense. ^_^; I was just surprised that there's not one closer to where I live. And then I started wondering how a gun range business would do here around here...

Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1722 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 3649

Call them and see if they have rentals.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I would check out quite a few more guns before buying one. I would also suggest that you actually fire them as well. Holding a firearm and firing one both require your "feel" to be good with it. Decide how you plan to carry as well. Don't buy a pocket gun if you're going to conceal IWB and don't buy a compact gun if you want to carry In Your pocket!

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ruger View Post
I guess when you put it that way, it makes more sense. ^_^; I was just surprised that there's not one closer to where I live. And then I started wondering how a gun range business would do here around here...
The town I live in is about 100,000 people.

And we don't have a gun range.

Central Illinois - full of gun owners - full of hunters. No gun range.

Closest one is about 40 minutes away. So my friend and I built one of our own on some land given to us by his family

Makes no sense to me either

Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
I would check out quite a few more guns before buying one. I would also suggest that you actually fire them as well. Holding a firearm and firing one both require your "feel" to be good with it. Decide how you plan to carry as well. Don't buy a pocket gun if you're going to conceal IWB and don't buy a compact gun if you want to carry In Your pocket!
What exactly is the difference between a pocket and compact? Size? Caliber? Both? Geez am I coming off like a total newb here? ^_^;