'accidental' discharge by equipment failure - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 'accidental' discharge by equipment failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Once again a thread turns left away from the OP's question---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3101 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms View Post
hey folks. i am well aware of negligent discharge that some people mistake for 'accidental' discharge. however, i am curious if anyone is aware of any true accidental discharge where the gun just experienced a failure. i carry my ccw chambered and iwb and i sometimes worry if i'm standing up and kids just run around me in a party, or when i am standing on a 2nd floor apt with thin wood floors. technically in these situations the muzzle isn't necessarily pointed to safe direction. any thoughts?
Could it happen? Yes!
Is the barrel pointed in a fashion that violates the "rules" of gun handling? Possible.
Should you worry if you are used as a May pole on the 1st of May? Yes.
Should you do what is possible to avoid mechanical malfunction? Yes.
IMO, be safe, check equipment, and don't become complacent.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #23

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

I've had an ND and an AD. The ND was totally my fault, I got complacent and not paying attention at the clearing barrel when I was in Afghanistan.

But my AD... Scared the bejesus out of me. I had sent my 1911 out for a competition trigger job. Got it back and was trying it out at the range. About 70 rounds into it, I had a FTF. I look down and see that my hammer was only at half cock. Which, on a 1911 should never happen. It's either unchambered and hammer could be down but, the hammer is cocked if a round is in the chamber.

So I used my strong hand thumb to re-cock the hammer. Before I knew it, the hammer dropped and sent the round into the berm, put railroad tracks on my thumb, and the gun jumped out of my hand.

After I figured out what happened, I unloaded and cleared the weapon. I then duplicated the problem without ammo. Racking the side would leave the hammer at half cock, but using your thumb to cock it, it would drop all the way and fire the round, Took it back to my gunsmith who said "oh chit!!! It didn't go full auto on you did it?". He apologized and made it right.

Remember, ALWAYS keep it level and down range when handling!!

I did read on the net recently about a fellow who nearly shot his butt off when getting into his car. He had an old floppy leather holster, and it was do soft, floppy, that it folded into the trigger guard, then manipulated the trigger when he bent at the waist to get into his car.