'accidental' discharge by equipment failure - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 'accidental' discharge by equipment failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4885 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms View Post
thanks for the inputs. my firearms are all stock (no mods) and are fairly well maintained. but the thought of accidental discharge while just sitting in a holster kinda worries me when the muzzle isn't just technically pointed to an inanimate object. just making sure i don't defeat the purpose of having a firearm in the first place.
It was a good question and shows you to be a responsible gun owner. I've personally carried a handgun daily for 17 years and never experienced an ND or AD of any kind.

Use factory set triggers, ensure you holster protects the trigger, and do not handle your gun unnecessarily...and you'll be fine.

Tack

Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2954 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Most firearms (as they come from factory) are safe, functioning correctly items.

Quality ammo, quality accessories (holsters, mag carriers), and quality firearms are a must.

I've had a 1911 where the firing pin broke and lodged in the firing pin hole. On the command "Load and make ready" the exposed firing pin did hit the primer as the slide went forward. This was with an old Springer that had, by then, thousands of rounds through it. It was classified as an AD at the time due to equipment failure. But reflecting back, I have since considered it a ND on my part for not checking that my equipment was ready. That "thousands" of rounds without checking the firing pin was my fault.

Following the rules of firearms safety will decrease the chances of an AD or ND. But we have the responsibility to make sure our equipment is maintained correctly and is safe.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #13

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Guns that have discharged in a holster is usually caused by the owner putting his hand on the weapon. It would be incredible for a 1911 pistol to empty a magazine without being held. The "Weak Wrist" or soft hold on a 1911 Pistol is the number one reason for 1911 FTF. The normal 1911 Pistol can not fire without a solid grip support that can over come the inertia of the slide. The grip safety and disconnector as well as sear and firing pin failure had to occur. This is the result of some kitchen table gunsmithing.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Have carried a holstered firearm just about every day for 50+ years. Have NEVER seen a firearm in an "at rest" condition discharge.

There HAVE been AD's due to failure- but all involved some action. Investigated one shooting with an SKS with a bolt full of dried grease (slamfire) knew of a Winchester 100 rifle with a broken firing pin (slamfire) and have a Remington 660 that fired when safety was released (factory recall, repaired by Remington).

Keep your equipment in good order, do not make mods to it unless you are a qualified gunsmith, use a holster that covers the trigger, and do not fiddle with a holstered gun.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #15

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The most common would be a "slam fire" where a stuck or broken firing pin causes a round to go off as it is chambered. If a gun is reasonably well maintained, it will not ever happen.
Yup, this happened to me with one of my used guns I purchased. Immediately replaced the whole firingpin assembly. Taught me real quick that once I get a new to me gun, previously owned or not, I take it straight to the range or don't load it until I can.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 951 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I think this fellow is worried that his holstered weapon would go off by itself.

I say it non needed worry.

Police carry their weapons holstered and chambered, these guys run jump roll over fight, car wrecks and more, and I have never heard of one going off.
Only time it will fail, is if someone messed with it and screwed it up! Millions of people have loaded weapons in their homes and they just dont go off!! Unless some dickhead not knowing or thinking about what he/she is doing and MAKES IT GO OFF!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #17

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

During my years as a Certified Handgun Inst. I have seen this many times. There are many people who have taken up handguns since the CCW programs have become popular. Many of these have never owned or developed a comfort zone with firearms. They simply have not learned to trust firearms. This can be a problem if the need to use a carried firearm should occur.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #18

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Did any of that address the OP's concerns at all, or just serve to make you look better? Maybe since you're such an experienced certified instructor and have seen all/know all, how about maybe some help of some sort? Surely you could at least point the OP towards some resources in maybe finding an instructor in their area that might would have some experience in personally addressing the OP's type of concerns with other inexperience gun owners?

maybe some key words for google? Even just a kind word instead of an implied supreme superiority?

Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #19

Liked 194 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I did read a story about a holstered gun going off and shooting a hole in the floor of the car the guy was a passenger in. The problem was attributed to an old holster which puckered up right by the trigger guard. The holster material went into the trigger guard and touched the trigger when he moved. I believe that lesson was to be very careful with over-use of leather conditioner. At least that was the story.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I had a 22/45 that had an issue with AD. I installed a volquartsen trigger kit, it went in fine, loved the trigger. If the safety was on, and if the trigger was pulled, nothing would happen as expected... right up until the safety was flipped off. Luckily, the muzzle was pointed down range, because it went bang.

It's not an unheard of failure. VQ adjusted the gun for me.