'accidental' discharge by equipment failure
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 'accidental' discharge by equipment failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 'accidental' discharge by equipment failure

hey folks. i am well aware of negligent discharge that some people mistake for 'accidental' discharge. however, i am curious if anyone is aware of any true accidental discharge where the gun just experienced a failure. i carry my ccw chambered and iwb and i sometimes worry if i'm standing up and kids just run around me in a party, or when i am standing on a 2nd floor apt with thin wood floors. technically in these situations the muzzle isn't necessarily pointed to safe direction. any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

We have a member here who competes, I think in IDPA. He had a discharge when he racked his slide to chamber a round in a competition. Maybe he'll stop in to tell the story.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I think you are asking if a gun has just gone off in the holster without being handled in any way?
If so never heard of that-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Technically it is "possible" for a mechanical failure to result in an unintentional discharge, but that is VERY rare. The most common would be a "slam fire" where a stuck or broken firing pin causes a round to go off as it is chambered. If a gun is reasonably well maintained, it will not ever happen. In my experience people attempt to blame a mechanical malfunction for a lack of caution on their part. Guns go bang when the trigger is pressed, period. An untouched gun in a holster does not go off. An improperly holstered gun goes off when the trigger finger presses the trigger.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

Liked 1910 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

I have never had a problem with any of my carry guns. I carry with one in the chamber. However, I have a Jennings J-22 that is just for the range. There is one type of cheap ammo that does all kinds of crazy stuff in that gun. One time I let the slide go and it emptied the mag without me pulling the trigger. Any other time it would have jammed on the second shot. I would not normally use a 22 for self defense anyway. But if I did, it would be a well tested and superbly reliable gun. Any gun I carry I have put hundreds if not thousands of rounds down range with. I will not carry a gun that has a history of malfunctions at my hand.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

ive seen it happen at a local range with some yahoo that was diying his own trigger job (stupid) set his gun down on the shelf at the range on the firing line and it went off and went full auto. fortunately it was pointed down range and was a 1911 with only 7 rounds and all 7 went down range.

someone called the police (wasnt me) they showed up about 30 minutes after it happened questioned him and took him, and the guns he had, away with them in handcuffs. im sure lucy had some splainin to do

never heard of it happening with a gun that hasnt been messed with including the remington 700.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-22-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I think you are asking if a gun has just gone off in the holster without being handled in any way?
If so never heard of that-
Ah ha, I see now...
Yeah, that's not generally ever going to happen with a gun that's in good repair. I have never personally heard of a gun just going off on it's own outside of a slam fire or a major malfunction.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Yes, my dad had an ad in the living room once. Not sure why he had his loaded Marlin 30-30 in the house but he is retired army national guard so I'm sure he had a reason. It discharged through the ceiling and roof and he says it was faulty, he had just bought the rifle so he called the manufacturer and they fixed it. That was 20 yr ago, I don't know of any others involving pistols.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the inputs. my firearms are all stock (no mods) and are fairly well maintained. but the thought of accidental discharge while just sitting in a holster kinda worries me when the muzzle isn't just technically pointed to an inanimate object. just making sure i don't defeat the purpose of having a firearm in the first place.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms View Post
thanks for the inputs. my firearms are all stock (no mods) and are fairly well maintained. but the thought of accidental discharge while just sitting in a holster kinda worries me when the muzzle isn't just technically pointed to an inanimate object. just making sure i don't defeat the purpose of having a firearm in the first place.
There are many other thing to worry about--
Kind of like your car my decide to explode because you have a full tank of gas--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This