Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Accidental Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Accidental Discharge

Is it possible (within reason) for a weapon to discharge with a shell in the chamber while in a holster?

I carrier an LCP in a pocket holster and a Glock 36 .45 in a OWB. Always with one in the slot. Both these situation has the trigger covered.

I know it is common to carry with one in the chamber, but has anyone ever heard of a weapon spontaniously discharging?

Last edited by Lowrider; 10-05-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
Is it possible (within reason) for a weapon to discharge with a shell in the chamber while in a holster?

I carrier an LCP in a pocket holster and a Glock 36 .45 in a OWB. Always with one in the slot. Both these situation has the trigger covered.

I know it is common to carry with one in the chamberr, but has anyone ever heard of a weapon spontaniously discharging?
There is NO such thing as an accidental discharge, ONLY a Negligent Discharge and is self defining.

The only time you should worry about your properly carried CCW is during the spontaneous combustion of your body.....wait......no, you won't need to worry about the weapon!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Wait, I thought guns shoot all by themselves. I musta been mis-informed...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If you read some news reports or watch libtard tv you'll find that weapons are evil and "just go off" by themselves all the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
If you read some news reports or watch libtard tv you'll find that weapons are evil and "just go off" by themselves all the time.

All I get from those reports is that if there is unwanted discharge, I need to go to a gynecologist. I don't get it.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
All I get from those reports is that if there is unwanted discharge, I need to go to a gynecologist. I don't get it.
It's called a yeast infection, or.....you just....got some sand.....in your vagina.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post

I know it is common to carry with one in the chamber, but has anyone ever heard of a weapon spontaniously discharging?
No there is no way a gun can go off with out outside force being applied to the firearm. Something has to cause the gun to discharge.

The only spontaneously discharge I ever seen was when a nerdy buddy of mine got a lap dance from a smokin hot stripper. Now that is a story to beat all stories.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
No there is no way a gun can go off with out outside force being applied to the firearm. Something has to cause the gun to discharge.

The only spontaneously discharge I ever seen was when a nerdy buddy of mine got a lap dance from a smokin hot stripper. Now that is a story to beat all stories.
Happened to me once...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

Close, but I doubt "...a smokin hot stripper" could produce the heat required for a "Cook-Off". (Pre-mature maybe)

A cook-off is the firing of a chambered round caused by the cartridge absorbing excess heat from a very hot barrel.

I still consider this a Negligent Discharge because only you know the condition of your weapon and leaving a round chambered when the barrel is very hot is operator negligence!

If you're running your gun this hot, you will know and probably will have no issue keeping the potential cook-off pointed in the logical direction. I'm guessing there are a few members here that have found themselves in this condition. I'm curious if this is covered in training? Any input? Us Navy guys never carried enough ammo to heat the barrel to 'very hot'!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 10-06-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I'm curious if this is covered in training? Any input? Us Navy guys never carried enough ammo to heat the barrel to 'very hot'!
I have been trained about cook offs both in a rifle instructor class and in the Colt armor's class. I have not see this myself but I have been told it can happen. Lots of rounds very fast with no time for cooling. I was told it is very hard to get a gun this hot on semi auto, full auto is a different story. I would find it hard to believe a person could get a handgun this hot and have a cook off round.

As for the "accidental discharge" or more like negligent discharge, most people will not admit they touched the trigger and made the ND go down. In all the ND's I have had I did something wring and pulled the trigger when I was not ready to. All of them were no blood no fault, I was also on the range by my self.