Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Accidental Discharge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/accidental-discharge-18879/)

Lowrider 10-05-2009 10:46 PM

Accidental Discharge
 
Is it possible (within reason) for a weapon to discharge with a shell in the chamber while in a holster?

I carrier an LCP in a pocket holster and a Glock 36 .45 in a OWB. Always with one in the slot. Both these situation has the trigger covered.

I know it is common to carry with one in the chamber, but has anyone ever heard of a weapon spontaniously discharging?

canebrake 10-05-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrider (Post 170501)
Is it possible (within reason) for a weapon to discharge with a shell in the chamber while in a holster?

I carrier an LCP in a pocket holster and a Glock 36 .45 in a OWB. Always with one in the slot. Both these situation has the trigger covered.

I know it is common to carry with one in the chamberr, but has anyone ever heard of a weapon spontaniously discharging?

There is NO such thing as an accidental discharge, ONLY a Negligent Discharge and is self defining.

The only time you should worry about your properly carried CCW is during the spontaneous combustion of your body.....wait......no, you won't need to worry about the weapon! http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

skullcrusher 10-05-2009 11:47 PM

Wait, I thought guns shoot all by themselves. I musta been mis-informed...:eek:

Gojubrian 10-06-2009 12:02 AM

If you read some news reports or watch libtard tv you'll find that weapons are evil and "just go off" by themselves all the time.

:rolleyes:

skullcrusher 10-06-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 170509)
If you read some news reports or watch libtard tv you'll find that weapons are evil and "just go off" by themselves all the time.

:rolleyes:

All I get from those reports is that if there is unwanted discharge, I need to go to a gynecologist. I don't get it. :p

canebrake 10-06-2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 170553)
All I get from those reports is that if there is unwanted discharge, I need to go to a gynecologist. I don't get it. :p

It's called a yeast infection, or.....you just....got some sand.....in your vagina.

cpttango30 10-06-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowrider (Post 170501)
Is it possible (within reason) for a weapon to discharge with a shell in the chamber while in a holster?

I carrier an LCP in a pocket holster and a Glock 36 .45 in a OWB. Always with one in the slot. Both these situation has the trigger covered.

I know it is common to carry with one in the chamber, but has anyone ever heard of a weapon spontaniously discharging?

No there is no way a gun can go off with out outside force being applied to the firearm. Something has to cause the gun to discharge.

The only spontaneously discharge I ever seen was when a nerdy buddy of mine got a lap dance from a smokin hot stripper. Now that is a story to beat all stories.

suprdave 10-06-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 170700)
No there is no way a gun can go off with out outside force being applied to the firearm. Something has to cause the gun to discharge.

The only spontaneously discharge I ever seen was when a nerdy buddy of mine got a lap dance from a smokin hot stripper. Now that is a story to beat all stories.

Happened to me once...

canebrake 10-06-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 170700)
No there is no way a gun can go off with out outside force being applied to the firearm. Something has to cause the gun to discharge.

The only spontaneously discharge I ever seen was when a nerdy buddy of mine got a lap dance from a smokin hot stripper. Now that is a story to beat all stories.

Close, but I doubt "...a smokin hot stripper" could produce the heat required for a "Cook-Off". (Pre-mature maybe)

A cook-off is the firing of a chambered round caused by the cartridge absorbing excess heat from a very hot barrel.

I still consider this a Negligent Discharge because only you know the condition of your weapon and leaving a round chambered when the barrel is very hot is operator negligence!

If you're running your gun this hot, you will know and probably will have no issue keeping the potential cook-off pointed in the logical direction. I'm guessing there are a few members here that have found themselves in this condition. I'm curious if this is covered in training? Any input? Us Navy guys never carried enough ammo to heat the barrel to 'very hot'!

Bigguns911 10-06-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 170793)
I'm curious if this is covered in training? Any input? Us Navy guys never carried enough ammo to heat the barrel to 'very hot'!

I have been trained about cook offs both in a rifle instructor class and in the Colt armor's class. I have not see this myself but I have been told it can happen. Lots of rounds very fast with no time for cooling. I was told it is very hard to get a gun this hot on semi auto, full auto is a different story. I would find it hard to believe a person could get a handgun this hot and have a cook off round.

As for the "accidental discharge" or more like negligent discharge, most people will not admit they touched the trigger and made the ND go down. In all the ND's I have had I did something wring and pulled the trigger when I was not ready to. All of them were no blood no fault, I was also on the range by my self.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.