Which is it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by chootem75 View Post
Okay thanks....and its is for a woman. My wife wants a .45 and I didn't think she could handle a pistol that size.
Go check out the thread I posted earlier.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

My wife has weak wrists and had trouble cycling a slide. She really likes the S&W 637 w/ crimson trace grips. She's comfortable with it so she carries it.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife (a new shooter) carries a Glock 26, she is small and shoots it just fine. She dresses like a girl (haha) and conceals it just fine;-)

Old 03-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
I've been asked this type of question for both sexes many times. The answer is always the same.

Everyone has, or develops, a "comfort zone" as I like to call it. This is a combination of capabilities, knowledge, what gun feels good to a particular person, and budget. This is why I seldom recommend a particular gun to newbies. Obviously, a revolver might be preferential to a newbie simply because of it's simplicity, and this might be of importance especially considering the shooting experience of any particular person. This isn't a hard and fast rule I have, though. Everyone's different and this is one of the most important things to remember.

Take her to a shop or gun show to handle a number of guns. Then, get her out to the range and go at her speed. Make suggestions, but don't push her to a particular style, caliber, or type of gun. Don't be surprised if she changes gears down the road and a second purchase is in the future.
This. I also add that my wife is 5'0", 125 lbs. I taught her to shoot with a .45 ACP Colt Gov't Model. I taught my sisters to shoot with the same gun when they were 14 after I demonstrated shooting the same gun with my thumb and forefinger only.
After shooting several types of guns, I say carry the most powerful weapon they can comfortably carry and hit with. That said, a small framed .22, such as a S&W 317, Ruger 101, or 22/45 would be an excellent beginner's pistol because,1) they have little recoil and report, 2) are relatively inexpensive to shoot, 3) you can pack a small gun in a holster that is light weight, have a couple of boxes of cartridges, eye and ear protection, in a small, easy to carry package which is lots of fun for an outing in the country and picnic, or at a range in town and lunch out together. Additionally, they are a reasonably good carry gun, until you can afford to buy a proper CCW gun.

Enemies of the United States:hunt them down, kill them all.War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chootem75
Okay thanks....and its is for a woman. My wife wants a .45 and I didn't think she could handle a pistol that size.
I just choked and sputtered but I'm ok now Never underestimate us as the "weaker" sex. My philosophy is if you can shoot it so can I, and in a lot instances I can shoot it better

Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Actually as much as I hate to say this. Statistically speaking women are better shooters.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 10 Posts

Don't know why you'd hate to say it, you'd think you'd be glad to have someone that can not only have your back but your front as well if necessary.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I just hate to say anyone is a better shooter than me. Lol
I love having the honeys around.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #19

My wife has an Sr9c(9mm) and loves it. She also shoots my xdm 45 at least as well as her 9. Just find somewhere you can rent or try a few different calibers, size and brands. What works beat for one is not always best for the next person