Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which is it?

What would be the best hand gun for a woman to have? Let's keep in mind that she is a novice to guns!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2061 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 745

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/handgun-selection-women-mike-seeklander-58567/

Please stop by the introductions section and tell us about yourself.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

The handgun does not know or care what the sex is of the person firing it.

The best handgun for a specific woman is the one she is familiar with, can handle safely and proficiently.

Just like other hand tools. The more experience one gets with it, the better they become.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3242

I agree with ^^ ^^

I would suggest that she goes to a place where she can use many different makes and models of handguns (maybe there is a range that rents??). Or, if you know someone with a variety of handguns that would be willing to take her shooting, that's useful, too.

Either way, it comes down to what she can handle safely, proficiently and is comfortable with.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

I recently bought my wife a smith and wesson 442 revolver. She had only shot rifles and shotguns prior to taking her to the range to test it out. After a day of shooting she decided she liked my 9mm semi auto better than the revolver, so now I'm trying to sell or trade it for the ruger lc9. She really likes this particular gun as well as the kel tech p-11 (She was able to shoot both of these at the range, thanks to some kind folks). If your looking for a small 9mm, I'd recommend the Ruger. I'm sure you'll get some much better advice from others on this forum.

Best of luck.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been asked this type of question for both sexes many times. The answer is always the same.

Everyone has, or develops, a "comfort zone" as I like to call it. This is a combination of capabilities, knowledge, what gun feels good to a particular person, and budget. This is why I seldom recommend a particular gun to newbies. Obviously, a revolver might be preferential to a newbie simply because of it's simplicity, and this might be of importance especially considering the shooting experience of any particular person. This isn't a hard and fast rule I have, though. Everyone's different and this is one of the most important things to remember.

Take her to a shop or gun show to handle a number of guns. Then, get her out to the range and go at her speed. Make suggestions, but don't push her to a particular style, caliber, or type of gun. Don't be surprised if she changes gears down the road and a second purchase is in the future. My wife got her CCW and went from preferring a .380 semi to a .38 J Frame. Now she has both.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

If available, take a ccw or self defense class. One taught by a woman if it is for a woman. A good one will include range time and instruction with several different guns. Qualify with the one you feel most comfortable with. This way you will get a good grounding in safe gun handling and find a platform you like.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #9

Okay thanks....and its is for a woman. My wife wants a .45 and I didn't think she could handle a pistol that size.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20895 Times on 11878 Posts
Likes Given: 52454

Quote:
Originally Posted by chootem75 View Post
Okay thanks....and its is for a woman. My wife wants a .45 and I didn't think she could handle a pistol that size.
why would you think that? my wife is no expert with firearms, doesn't do near the amount of shooting i do and has very small hands and shoots my 1911's and my 44 magnum with ease. now your wife being a novice, i would think of her trying something larger without her full understanding of the recoil. like allowing her to watch from the side of you shooting it, so that she can judge the amount of recoil when it fires. after that, she might want to give it a try. i have heard of idiots having their wife or girlfriend try out some hard recoiling magnum and thought it was pretty funny. personally i just don't see any humor in it. let her see what it looks like first with you shooting it and then let her make the decision if she wants to try it out.