Is a 9mm to small for a CCW? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is a 9mm to small for a CCW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is nothing wrong with 9mm in quality self-defense ammunition. I would not hestitate to go out into the world carrying one for protection.

The Glock 19 is an excellent firearm, and ladyM I think you will be happy with your choice.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

While 9mm may not have the power of the .40 smith, or 45 ACP, It is suitable for most situations and its price cant beat.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #23

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Most perps aren't prepared for their intended victims to be armed, much less willing to kill to protect themselves. The sight and sound of a fire arm being used against them scares the hell out of them. There are those few, however; who will engage you in a firefight. In those cases, Bring plenty of ammo and hit what you aim at!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #24
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyM View Post
WDB -----You sir have chosen to assign your own meaning to each and every word that I placed on this thread. In as much as YOU WERE a Marine,MOST are Marines FOREVER,you are aware that recruiters will not discuss specifics of firearms--the same as I have been very vague in my responses.
What I truly said was that after gathering much info---( I )--- have decided on the weapon indicated, and, that furthermore ---(I)--- am very pleased with MY decision. Nowhere did I state that the USMC recommended ANY particular weapon or offered any advertising for ANY product.
You are very disconcerting in my attempt to uphold the honor of the USMC, the traditions and the rules and regulations pertaining to Marine
public relations. Please ,in the future when you attempt to read ,be careful not to jump ahead of the text and add your very own interpretation.
Combat veterans and active duty Marines are not necessarily in and of the same persons.
Many words do not indicate the lack of meaning , what is indicated is a
need for true comprehension and understanding of those words in order to avoid a grave misinterpretation of exactly what ideas are being communicated.
Semper Fidelis---http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/editorial/edi52.asp
Lady M,
You are careful with how phrase your words. Picking up on that I said I was a Marine is a good example, while I'm a Marine for life I express that I was a Marine to express that I am no longer active. Something most understand but you chose to point that out. Same with the Combat vets and active duty, a good play on words, there is a big difference and it's clear you understand the difference.

I'll slow down and read your post more careful in the future as it's clear I missed the finner points in the past

Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post
Is a 9mm to small of a gun for a CCW? My buddy is really trying to get me to not buy a 9mm for my summer CCW. I have a S&W 40 that I will be carrying in the winter with the use of extra cloths but I need to get a smaller gun for the summer. I was looking at a SKYY 9mm. He absolutely things a 9mm gun is worthless. A gun that you will carry is far better than a gun left at home because its to heavy or big. But as far as caliber goes do you think a 9mm is a bit small to take someone down?
Who is buying and carrying? YOU or your buddy?

Tell your buddy a 9mm is just fine with the right rounds(I suggest sxt's). Many people are perfectly comfortable with a .380.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #26

9mm isn't too small. If you hit somebody enough times with a .22 it will put them down. I prefer at least 9mm for self defence. Some people relly on a 380 for self defence and thats smaller than 9mm. For summer,i think a 9mm Khar or a small 380 like a ruger LCP both would be light,small,concealable options.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #27

I hope not, Thats what I carry. Single stack too.I have a hard enough time keeping my pants up, {getting FAT} Dont want the weight of a double stack or big 45.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #28

Default AHH, Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
2 in the Chest 1 in the head.

The 3 pop is perfect for 9mms.
Grasshopper, we have much to learn. Patience my Son, There is a grouchy, pissed off, old CPO with thy name on end of boot. Go to the light my child, and live quitely.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyM View Post
WDB -----You sir have chosen to assign your own meaning to each and every word that I placed on this thread. In as much as YOU WERE a Marine,MOST are Marines FOREVER,you are aware that recruiters will not discuss specifics of firearms--the same as I have been very vague in my responses.
What I truly said was that after gathering much info---( I )--- have decided on the weapon indicated, and, that furthermore ---(I)--- am very pleased with MY decision. Nowhere did I state that the USMC recommended ANY particular weapon or offered any advertising for ANY product.
You are very disconcerting in my attempt to uphold the honor of the USMC, the traditions and the rules and regulations pertaining to Marine
public relations. Please ,in the future when you attempt to read ,be careful not to jump ahead of the text and add your very own interpretation.
Combat veterans and active duty Marines are not necessarily in and of the same persons.
Many words do not indicate the lack of meaning , what is indicated is a
need for true comprehension and understanding of those words in order to avoid a grave misinterpretation of exactly what ideas are being communicated.
Semper Fidelis---http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/editorial/edi52.asp
The big problem is most if not all of the current duty Marines never were trained or carried the M1911A1 as their sidearm. If they had the opinion of the 9mm might be second place. My sidearm in the Marines was the .45 and I can assure you it is a very effective round.

Bullet selection is not critical with the .45 as you are starting with a large caliber. If a hollow point does expand so much the better. Can't say that for the 9mm.

It is interesting to note
1) Special Operations units utilize a .45 for personal sidearms.
2) The US Military has begun the replacement process for the Beretta 92F in 9mm. Part of the criteria read, "double stacked magazine, DA capable, minimum .40 caliber".
Must be a good reason for the minimum caliber requirement. Both of the above say something about the 9mm.

If you want to read about good firearms and 1st hand personal experiences pick up "sixguns" or "Hell, I was There" by Elmer Keith. Both of these publications were written over 50 years ago, but the bullet sizes are still the same today and Mr. Keith was an excellent author.

No matter what caliber you choose to carry, the important part is practice, practice, practice. Any caliber in any gun is no good if you cannot effectively fire it and clear it if required.

I do realize bullet choice is a personal decision. Much like auto vs manual tranny in a Jeep. There will always be heated debate with supporters on both sides. You can tell my preference is the .45.

PS - The term Semper Fidelis is earned, it is easy to say and use but some of us earned it and know its meaning.
Also, there is no such thing as a former Marine. Maybe formerly active but not former or ex.

Semper Fi

Gun Control...sight alignment, sight picture, squeeze...

Last edited by Glenn R; 04-18-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #30
JNA

Whats the problem with a 9mm? It is ideal for self defence.

Guns with the .40 S&W and .45 APC have less rounds in them, and more recoil [The latter wouldnt matter if the attacker was pretty much 2 feet away from you]. The 9mm although doesnt pack as much of a punch, it has less recoil, more rounds per mag and a quicker rate of fire than the larger rounds.

I guess a 115-124 grain 9mm round would do the job pretty good.

The lack of stopping power has been shown countless times, though. Im not surprised that the American police are starting to use the .40 S&W now.

Id prefer to get a 9mm pistol, though. A lot of them have a 20 round mag which is more than enough to get rid of 3-4 attackers, let alone just one.

Heck, just get a AN-94 and not even the South African reccondo's would want to calm after you.