Is a 9mm to small for a CCW? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is a 9mm to small for a CCW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A 9mm is very effective with the right load. Like THT stated, shot placement is everything. But no matter what your preference, anything is better than nothing!

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you got to pop em 3 times you better get something bigger, ammo is getting pretty scarce these days. I'm starting a one man campaign called: Save The Bullets.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time and when the weather is warm I carry a S&W M&P 9mm compact. While I prefer the 45 it isn't always practicle to carry so the 9mm fills in nicely and I believe it is a reasonable defense round. With that said practice practice practice as shot placement is critical no matter what you carry.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #14

Well, it is better than a .22!

I am of the opinion that you should shoot a lot of ammo in whatever you are carrying. If you can afford to shoot a lot of S&W .40, go with that or bigger. If your budget only allows you to shoot a lot of 9 mm, then that is your best friend!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Those that carry and are forced to shoot in a life or death situation will probably have a profound opinion on effective firearms.
After talking with a few Marine recruiters,I definitely have a different "take" on the effectiveness of firearms. Most of the recruiters are very willing to relate their personal experiences . Right now the recruiters are not so busy and have been quite helpful with regards to my search for an adequate weapon for self defense. I don't mean that ALL recruiters are not capable of the same helpful advice but I've only tried the Marines and have been favorably impressed with their sincerity and candor.
They have enlightened me as to their opinions on the 9mm and in particular
the Beretta 9mm.
Might be a good source for reference.

Last edited by ladyM; 03-23-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: mostly spelling

Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyM View Post
Those that carry and are forced to shoot in a life or death situation will probably have a profound opinion on effective firearms.
After talking with a few Marine recruiters,I definitely have a different "take" on the effectiveness of firearms. Most of the recruiters are very willing to relate their personal experiences . Right now the recruiters are not so busy and have been quite helpful with regards to my search for an adequate weapon for self defense. I don't mean that ALL recruiters are not capable of the same helpful advice but I've only tried the Marines and have been favorably impressed with their sincerity and candor.
They have enlightened me as to their opinions on the 9mm and in particular
the Beretta 9mm.
Might be a good source for reference.
That is an intresting idea Lady M, what did the Marine recuiters tell you concerning the 9mm and the Beretta?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
That is an intresting idea Lady M, what did the Marine recuiters tell you concerning the 9mm and the Beretta?
Without fear of invoking the wrath of more experienced shooters than myself---I will state that as a result of my conversations with several combat experienced Marine veterans, I am pursuing a CCW class during which I will be attempting to secure a permit which states that I may conceal carry a Glock model 19.
With ,what I define as, proper ammunition; I will be very satisified that my option for concealed carry is the BEST option for myself.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow that is a lot of words to say your about to take a class so you can buy and possibly carry a Glock 9mm. That may be a truly good choice for you and expect it will serve you well.

All the same finding several combat experienced Marines that would chose that weapon as a sidearm is truly hard to believe. I noticed you went from talking to a few USMC recruiter's to several combat experienced Marines. I know that USMC recruiter's are forbiden to discuss firearms with recruits and expect that would be the same for others that wander in while they are having a slow day.

The Glock 19 is a good firearm but not one a combat experienced Marine would choose. I can say this as a I was one of those Marines and my son is one of those Marines.

As I said it might be the right firearm for you but I highly doubt any Marine that has been in combat would want this as his sidearm.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

WDB -----You sir have chosen to assign your own meaning to each and every word that I placed on this thread. In as much as YOU WERE a Marine,MOST are Marines FOREVER,you are aware that recruiters will not discuss specifics of firearms--the same as I have been very vague in my responses.
What I truly said was that after gathering much info---( I )--- have decided on the weapon indicated, and, that furthermore ---(I)--- am very pleased with MY decision. Nowhere did I state that the USMC recommended ANY particular weapon or offered any advertising for ANY product.
You are very disconcerting in my attempt to uphold the honor of the USMC, the traditions and the rules and regulations pertaining to Marine
public relations. Please ,in the future when you attempt to read ,be careful not to jump ahead of the text and add your very own interpretation.
Combat veterans and active duty Marines are not necessarily in and of the same persons.
Many words do not indicate the lack of meaning , what is indicated is a
need for true comprehension and understanding of those words in order to avoid a grave misinterpretation of exactly what ideas are being communicated.
Semper Fidelis---http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/editorial/edi52.asp

Last edited by ladyM; 03-23-2009 at 03:13 AM.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #20

Last time I checked, the 9mm was standard NATO issue and what the US Military shoots in the Beretta 93 FS.

And . . . I've been known to go to town with no gun at all. So you just gotta ask yerself, "Do I feel lucky . . . ???"

Going on 61 and never been in a civilian firefight.