9MM Carry Ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 9MM Carry Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 31

Default 9MM Carry Ammo?

I was just curious on what people have been carrying in their 9MM Carry guns. Let's hear what everyone has to say and also why the choice. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I use Winchester PDX in my 9mm and .40

I am not a ballistics guy so my basis for use in both of my carry guns is that after spending lots of money and shooting many boxes of different sd ammo, the PDX shot with no failures at all.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

I have often looked at the pdx but just never heard much about them guess i'll have to try them out.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I carry Golden Saber in my 9mm. I tried about 6 different protection ammos and my gen seems to like Golden Saber best and I shot the best groups with them.

Every gun likes and dislikes different ammo. Best way is to narrow it down to 5 or 6 and try a box of each. See what you and your gun shoot best.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Currently: Federal 147gr Hydrahsock HPs. Extra mag has Hornady 115 gr Critical Defense HPs, last mag is Winchester Nato 124gr FMJs.

I also have a few boxes of the PDX as I read that FBI was using them, at some point anyways. Ive seen some videos of the PDX not expanding, but that was through multiple layers of deniem. None of these rounds have malfunctioned in any way for me.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
Currently: Federal 147gr Hydrahsock HPs. Extra mag has Hornady 115 gr Critical Defense HPs, last mag is Winchester Nato 124gr FMJs.

I also have a few boxes of the PDX as I read that FBI was using them, at some point anyways. Ive seen some videos of the PDX not expanding, but that was through multiple layers of deniem. None of these rounds have malfunctioned in any way for me.
I believe they are still using pdx1. I know they spent a lot of time and money trying to find out what round to use and that's what they went with. I use pdx1 mostly bc academy and bass pro was sold out of just about everything in .45acp. So I started looking at Walmart and out of 4 Walmart's only one had any kind of self defense round so I bought the last 3 boxes of pdx they had.

Most name brand ammo is going to penetrate 12' to about 16' and expand about every time. Some times there will be cases like renegade said ware the hp cavity gets clogged and it dose not. Doesn't happen often enuf to worry about tho. Just about any name brand jhp will work fine. Might won't to consider getting something bonded tho if there is a possibility of having to shoot through a barrier.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #7

Wow great responses and information thanks. I've just been carrying hornady critical defense just because I've heard alot about it but will have to look at others now

Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #8

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
I use pdx1 mostly bc academy and bass pro was sold out of just about everything in .45acp. So I started looking at Walmart and out of 4 Walmart's only one had any kind of self defense round so I bought the last 3 boxes of pdx they had.
I tried PDX in my .40 for the exact same reason. Walmart had them. I bought a box of .38 Special and 2 boxes of .45 and .40 on an impulse buy. They shot well in my snubby .357 that I usually shoot .38's from but I still liked Gold Dots. They shot well in my Kimber but with a 3" barrel in a .45 I like the Seller & Bellot regular ball ammo in 230 grains best. My Springfield 1911 with a 5" barrel liked them but I mostly use that at the range. My Subcompact .40 XD ate the PDX up like a starving stray cat. I carry PDX when I carry my XD Subcompact.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I carry Federal HST +P in mine. Either 124 gr. or 147 gr. Main reason is that tests I've seen show the HST to have good expansion & penetration in every caliber tested. The other reason is it comes in a 50 round box for about $30 compared to a 20 round box of PDX1 for about $20. Those prices will vary, of course, depending on where you buy, etc.

I have seen tests where the 9mm PDX1 has failed to expand. I take any of these tests with a grain of salt because so much may depend on barrel length, test medium/conditions & even the angle at which the bullet enters the first barrier. But since the HST has passed in all cases, regardless of barrel length, etc. I go with it.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use hornaday critical defense 115gr in my xd9sc.....I've done alot of research on utube and the Internet forums and I narrowed it down to this ammo for carry. I liked the fact that it has the polymer in the hollow point cavity so it won't clog, and not to mention the consistency of the bullet expanding. Hornaday is a great brand of ammo in the first place