Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   9MM Carry Ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/9mm-carry-ammo-69527/)

petesrt4 08-03-2012 10:59 AM

9MM Carry Ammo?

I was just curious on what people have been carrying in their 9MM Carry guns. Let's hear what everyone has to say and also why the choice. Thanks.

Longrange 08-03-2012 11:09 AM

I use Winchester PDX in my 9mm and .40

I am not a ballistics guy so my basis for use in both of my carry guns is that after spending lots of money and shooting many boxes of different sd ammo, the PDX shot with no failures at all.

petesrt4 08-03-2012 11:15 AM

I have often looked at the pdx but just never heard much about them guess i'll have to try them out.

KeysKelly 08-03-2012 11:24 AM

I carry Golden Saber in my 9mm. I tried about 6 different protection ammos and my gen seems to like Golden Saber best and I shot the best groups with them.

Every gun likes and dislikes different ammo. Best way is to narrow it down to 5 or 6 and try a box of each. See what you and your gun shoot best.

GlockRenegade 08-03-2012 11:59 AM

Currently: Federal 147gr Hydrahsock HPs. Extra mag has Hornady 115 gr Critical Defense HPs, last mag is Winchester Nato 124gr FMJs.

I also have a few boxes of the PDX as I read that FBI was using them, at some point anyways. Ive seen some videos of the PDX not expanding, but that was through multiple layers of deniem. None of these rounds have malfunctioned in any way for me.

lbwar15 08-03-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
Currently: Federal 147gr Hydrahsock HPs. Extra mag has Hornady 115 gr Critical Defense HPs, last mag is Winchester Nato 124gr FMJs.

I also have a few boxes of the PDX as I read that FBI was using them, at some point anyways. Ive seen some videos of the PDX not expanding, but that was through multiple layers of deniem. None of these rounds have malfunctioned in any way for me.

I believe they are still using pdx1. I know they spent a lot of time and money trying to find out what round to use and that's what they went with. I use pdx1 mostly bc academy and bass pro was sold out of just about everything in .45acp. So I started looking at Walmart and out of 4 Walmart's only one had any kind of self defense round so I bought the last 3 boxes of pdx they had.

Most name brand ammo is going to penetrate 12' to about 16' and expand about every time. Some times there will be cases like renegade said ware the hp cavity gets clogged and it dose not. Doesn't happen often enuf to worry about tho. Just about any name brand jhp will work fine. Might won't to consider getting something bonded tho if there is a possibility of having to shoot through a barrier.

petesrt4 08-03-2012 12:45 PM

Wow great responses and information thanks. I've just been carrying hornady critical defense just because I've heard alot about it but will have to look at others now

KeysKelly 08-03-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 891527)
I use pdx1 mostly bc academy and bass pro was sold out of just about everything in .45acp. So I started looking at Walmart and out of 4 Walmart's only one had any kind of self defense round so I bought the last 3 boxes of pdx they had.

I tried PDX in my .40 for the exact same reason. Walmart had them. I bought a box of .38 Special and 2 boxes of .45 and .40 on an impulse buy. They shot well in my snubby .357 that I usually shoot .38's from but I still liked Gold Dots. They shot well in my Kimber but with a 3" barrel in a .45 I like the Seller & Bellot regular ball ammo in 230 grains best. My Springfield 1911 with a 5" barrel liked them but I mostly use that at the range. My Subcompact .40 XD ate the PDX up like a starving stray cat. I carry PDX when I carry my XD Subcompact.

gollygee 08-03-2012 01:39 PM

I carry Federal HST +P in mine. Either 124 gr. or 147 gr. Main reason is that tests I've seen show the HST to have good expansion & penetration in every caliber tested. The other reason is it comes in a 50 round box for about $30 compared to a 20 round box of PDX1 for about $20. Those prices will vary, of course, depending on where you buy, etc.

I have seen tests where the 9mm PDX1 has failed to expand. I take any of these tests with a grain of salt because so much may depend on barrel length, test medium/conditions & even the angle at which the bullet enters the first barrier. But since the HST has passed in all cases, regardless of barrel length, etc. I go with it.

chazzy 08-03-2012 02:14 PM

I use hornaday critical defense 115gr in my xd9sc.....I've done alot of research on utube and the Internet forums and I narrowed it down to this ammo for carry. I liked the fact that it has the polymer in the hollow point cavity so it won't clog, and not to mention the consistency of the bullet expanding. Hornaday is a great brand of ammo in the first place