Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default 9mm

I am thinking about getting my conceal carry permit and am looking for a gun that I can carry with me predominantly in the vehicle with me more than anything, but also to have at home in a drawer so overall size of the weapon isn't an issue. I have a 9mm, but I am curious of what people think of that as a self defense style weapon? I am considering buying something bigger, nothing fancy, just something that I can have with me for extreme circumstances. Anybody care to shed any light on the situation for me? Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

In my opinion, a good reliable 9mm pistol loaded with quality JHP ammo is all you need. What you may lose in caliber you more than make up in capacity.

While some may prefer a larger caliber, a well placed 9mm or two will get the job done.

Regardless of which ammo you choose, shot placement is always the critically important factor.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

9mm works. If it didn't, it wouldn't be here. Its not my first choice, but that doesn't really matter. For HD you can't go wrong picking up a shotgun to keep around the house.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
9mm works. If it didn't, it wouldn't be here. Its not my first choice, but that doesn't really matter. For HD you can't go wrong picking up a shotgun to keep around the house.
I got all kidns of good stuff aroudn the house. hahahaha I got a Mini 14 with a 20 and 30rd clip, a semi auto shotgun. lol A guy was telling me a story about gettign robbed at a rest stop the other day and it just got me thinking about protecting my family a little more.

I do have the ability to reload some good 9mm rounds, what would be a good home defense style bullet to use?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Are you proficient with what you have?

If you are "yeah, maybe", or "kinda", or "not really", then get proficient.

It is better to have one platform that you can work without looking, than to have numerous platforms that you have to adjust your muscle memory for.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't know anything about reloading, but I suspect just about any good expansion type (hollow point) would do. How much powder to load it with, someone else would have to help you with that.

FWIW, my .357 magnum rounds are loaded with hornady xtp 158 grain I believe. I really don't even know how these effect a soft target, but I've got six of em at any given moment.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I do have the ability to reload some good 9mm rounds, what would be a good home defense style bullet to use?
Any good quality hollowpoint (Gold Dots, XTP, etc.) in the
125gr weight should get the job done nicely.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Are you proficient with what you have?

If you are "yeah, maybe", or "kinda", or "not really", then get proficient.

It is better to have one platform that you can work without looking, than to have numerous platforms that you have to adjust your muscle memory for.
Good point. Maybe I oughta shoot a little more with it and get handy with it, load a good bullet in it, and get used to it a little bit.

It's an older Smith and Wesson 9mm that my dad used when he was a deputy a million years ago. I've fired a few boxes of shells through it, but I have about 300rd of brass at home and a buddy with a progressive reloader that would let me load some stuff. I could get some good bullets and load up a few hundred to practice with before I decide if I need to get something bigger.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There´s a good article on the matter posted in this site:

What-round-is-More-Effective-9-45-or-40

Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am partial of course but I like the .40 cal. Not as big as the .45, but bigger than the 9 mm. Best of both worlds. I recommend a H&K USP Series, but like I said I'm partial...