Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   9mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/9mm-56219/)

mrb1982 01-24-2012 03:40 PM

9mm

I am thinking about getting my conceal carry permit and am looking for a gun that I can carry with me predominantly in the vehicle with me more than anything, but also to have at home in a drawer so overall size of the weapon isn't an issue. I have a 9mm, but I am curious of what people think of that as a self defense style weapon? I am considering buying something bigger, nothing fancy, just something that I can have with me for extreme circumstances. Anybody care to shed any light on the situation for me? Thanks for your help.

Jpyle 01-24-2012 04:09 PM

In my opinion, a good reliable 9mm pistol loaded with quality JHP ammo is all you need. What you may lose in caliber you more than make up in capacity.

While some may prefer a larger caliber, a well placed 9mm or two will get the job done.

Regardless of which ammo you choose, shot placement is always the critically important factor.

trip286 01-24-2012 04:18 PM

9mm works. If it didn't, it wouldn't be here. Its not my first choice, but that doesn't really matter. For HD you can't go wrong picking up a shotgun to keep around the house.

mrb1982 01-24-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 687826)
9mm works. If it didn't, it wouldn't be here. Its not my first choice, but that doesn't really matter. For HD you can't go wrong picking up a shotgun to keep around the house.

I got all kidns of good stuff aroudn the house. hahahaha I got a Mini 14 with a 20 and 30rd clip, a semi auto shotgun. lol A guy was telling me a story about gettign robbed at a rest stop the other day and it just got me thinking about protecting my family a little more.

I do have the ability to reload some good 9mm rounds, what would be a good home defense style bullet to use?

danf_fl 01-24-2012 04:44 PM

Are you proficient with what you have?

If you are "yeah, maybe", or "kinda", or "not really", then get proficient.

It is better to have one platform that you can work without looking, than to have numerous platforms that you have to adjust your muscle memory for.

trip286 01-24-2012 04:46 PM

I don't know anything about reloading, but I suspect just about any good expansion type (hollow point) would do. How much powder to load it with, someone else would have to help you with that.

FWIW, my .357 magnum rounds are loaded with hornady xtp 158 grain I believe. I really don't even know how these effect a soft target, but I've got six of em at any given moment.

trex1310 01-24-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

I do have the ability to reload some good 9mm rounds, what would be a good home defense style bullet to use?
Any good quality hollowpoint (Gold Dots, XTP, etc.) in the
125gr weight should get the job done nicely.

mrb1982 01-24-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 687855)
Are you proficient with what you have?

If you are "yeah, maybe", or "kinda", or "not really", then get proficient.

It is better to have one platform that you can work without looking, than to have numerous platforms that you have to adjust your muscle memory for.

Good point. Maybe I oughta shoot a little more with it and get handy with it, load a good bullet in it, and get used to it a little bit.

It's an older Smith and Wesson 9mm that my dad used when he was a deputy a million years ago. I've fired a few boxes of shells through it, but I have about 300rd of brass at home and a buddy with a progressive reloader that would let me load some stuff. I could get some good bullets and load up a few hundred to practice with before I decide if I need to get something bigger.

kcolg 01-24-2012 08:29 PM

There´s a good article on the matter posted in this site:

What-round-is-More-Effective-9-45-or-40

Bear304inc 01-25-2012 04:23 AM

I am partial of course but I like the .40 cal. Not as big as the .45, but bigger than the 9 mm. Best of both worlds. I recommend a H&K USP Series, but like I said I'm partial...