Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > ?Which 9mm AND .40caliber is best for protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ?Which 9mm AND .40caliber is best for protection?

I’ve used handguns (.45’s, .40, 9mm, and .22) at the shooting range but have limited knowledge what sidearm would be best for my circumstance. I’m an American living in a foreign country. I live in a rural part of the country and it’s peaceful enough where I live but foreigners have been targeted for robbery that sometimes have ended in murder. As far as I know, the police haven’t solved any of the past cases and they might even be in on it. The thugs will target foreigners because they think we’re all rich and carry a wad of cash and jewelry. Especially if you drive a car, even if it’s an 8yr old pickup.

I need your help. I’m looking to buy two handguns, a .40 caliber to keep in the truck and a 9mm for conceal and carry. For both sidearm, I need at least 15 round capacity, won’t jam and easy to reload. For the 9mm, the same things but it needs to be low profile and light for conceal and carry. Also, minimal parts that might get caught on clothing and slow down draw.

Any recommendations on MFG and model would be appreciated. I not worried about manufacturer as much as I am with my safety. Thanks, Expat

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

First of all, welcome to the forum. Please stop by the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

Second... there is no such thing as a "best" handgun for anything. There are certain manufacturers that are best to avoid, but handguns are very much about personal preference.

Manufacturers that would be appropriate to check out would be: Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Sig, FN, Block... I mean Glock (ugh), and several others.

For myself, my 9mm is a Ruger SR9C. For a high capacity 9, it has one of the smallest profiles available. My .40 is a Springfield XDm 40, a very nice shooting gun.

Do you have access to any place where you can try out some different models?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8360

I know someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't keep any gun in my car or truck. It would be easy for someone to break into your truck and steal that gun. When I went in the house, the 'truck gun' would come with me. Just my opinion.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #4

Location: San Diego,Originally from Utah. Stationed in California sadly.... Damn Gun Laws.

You need to be careful about that situation. Nearly all countries look down upon Americans and would jump at the opportunity to jail an American on having a firearm. Which country did you say you were in?

Livin The Dream.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #5

Thanks for your input and thank you Scott for your recommendation on the sidearms. The reason I'd carry the .40 caliber in the truck with me is because I'm looking for better range and greater stopping power if I were to ever be chased down. And if I were home, I would bring the firearm with me but there is the risk of someone breaking in while I was running errands.

I live in Thailand and it's safe enough where I live but a acquaintance from Switzerland that lives in the next province over was chased down in his car, robbed and his body was dumped on the side of the road with more than a dozen stab wounds. He was a nice guy and a retiree so I doubt he tried to resist the robbery but I'm sure he put up a hell of a fight for his life! Shootings do occasionally occur here too.

It's legal for Thai nationals to own firearms but the law doesn't allow foreigner to own guns. I'm living here on a retiree visa, so I'm not sure if there is a loop hole that applies. I appreciate your concern but I'd rather be in a Thai jail going to trail for breaking their gun law, than bleeding out on the side of a dirt road.

I know there isn't any best handgun and it's more about preference but I value your opinions and thoughts on the matter. I can spend months on the internet trying to research each firearm! Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am very impressed with my Rugersr40c. It comes with a full size and a compact magazine. It is easy to conceal, handles and points like a dream. Lots of good choices now days, this is what I chose.

They make a 9mm but it is the same size as the .40 so I just went with that! Best of luck to you!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Thanks for your input and thank you Scott for your recommendation on the sidearms. The reason I'd carry the .40 caliber in the truck with me is because I'm looking for better range and greater stopping power if I were to ever be chased down. And if I were home, I would bring the firearm with me but there is the risk of someone breaking in while I was running errands.

I live in Thailand and it's safe enough where I live but a acquaintance from Switzerland that lives in the next province over was chased down in his car, robbed and his body was dumped on the side of the road with more than a dozen stab wounds. He was a nice guy and a retiree so I doubt he tried to resist the robbery but I'm sure he put up a hell of a fight for his life! Shootings do occasionally occur here too.

It's legal for Thai nationals to own firearms but the law doesn't allow foreigner to own guns. I'm living here on a retiree visa, so I'm not sure if there is a loop hole that applies. I appreciate your concern but I'd rather be in a Thai jail going to trail for breaking their gun law, than bleeding out on the side of a dirt road.

I know there isn't any best handgun and it's more about preference but I value your opinions and thoughts on the matter. I can spend months on the internet trying to research each firearm! Thanks again.
Thailand... now I understand. If you want greater range and stopping power, would you consider a carbine?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

How about a 10mm? Great stopping power, and as far as capacity, carry an extra mag.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #9

Liked 666 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 1399

Hello friend. I like the fact that most everyone recommended Ruger... It makes me feel at home. The problem here is "low profile conceal" and "at least 15 round capacity" are often at odds with each other. That being said... I live in central North Carolina where the fall & winters are usually mild and the springs & summers can get to 90+ degrees... So when it's cooler here and I can carry something with a little more bulk descretely, I have a Ruger P95 in 9mm (15 + 1) with an extra mag.... When the heat rolls around I carry my Radom P64 in 9X18mm (also called the 9mm Makarov round) with a 6 + 1 capacity ....... and an extra mag or two.... all loaded with Hornady red tip defense rounds (HIGHLY recommended).... I think it's more important to think in terms of control and accuracy with personal protection... That also being said, you might be a mountain of a man who can hide a 1911 on his person, but can you get it out quickly and control it is the question.
Should you be forced to defend yourself, I'll bet having anything on you will help... and the perp(s) will take it seriously. Good luck buddy... Stay safe and be aware of your surroundings.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #10

Thank you for help, I really appreciate it! Now I have a starting point. Thanks again