.44 Magnum Raging Bull, rapid fire shooting (video).

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .44 Magnum Raging Bull, rapid fire shooting (video).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default .44 Magnum Raging Bull, rapid fire shooting (video).

Went to the range this morning to do a little shooting.

*Snip from video description*
Really sorry about the low video and especially sound quality. I brought my digital video camera, but apparently the charger wasnt plugged in all the way so the battery was completely dead. I figured I'd used my phone to at least get something out of it, but in the future I indend to get better footage. In any case, this gets my point across and also gives me something to look at for critiquing myself.

Just thought Id show that rapid shooting with a relatively big-bore handgun is not out of the question. Granted, the Raging Bull, being a 4lb handgun with a heavy barrel, effective muzzle porting, and a rubber grip like you'd find on a construction tool, really makes shooting these relatively warm loads quite easy.

This is an approximation of the basic "El Presidente" drill of Practical Shooting. Requires 2 shots on three targets, a reload, and repeat. I was shooting at the left targets on each board (I had practiced this one time already on the right-side targets). The speed-loaders are 6-shot HKS #29 (available at most larger online retailers like Midway and Cheaper Than Dirt), in HKS #100 double speedloader pouches.

The loads are a near-max loading of Unique powder under a 200gr hard cast, for about 1450fps or so. These are probably only about 70% of what the cartridge can do, but they are stouter than most use for defensive purposes, and even then you can see that recoil is really not that bad. I like the Unique powder, though, because the muzzle blast and especially flash isn't nearly as bad as it would be with slower "magnum" powders. Really, the muzzle blast isn't much more noticable than anything else I've shot or owned.

I forgot to show the groups, but each target shot in this video had a 4-shot group of about 5-6". Ive put about 500 rounds or so through this firearm after about 3 months of ownership, though I used to shoot IPSC with my old 9mm PT92 so rapid shooting isn't completely alien to me (though of course I was notably faster with the 9mm, heh). I did the same drill before filming, targeting the the right-most sheets of paper on each board, and all the shots were within about 2-3". Obviously, the stress of looking good on film opened up the groups a bit , but they would have gotten the job done, I think. I was shooting in a modified Weaver stance, pushing forward with my right (shooting / strong) hand and pulling backward with my left (weak / off) hand. This method is required for keeping muzzle rise to a minimum to get back on target quickly.

FWIW, I have also been able to hit the 12" gong at 200 yards with an average of 4 out of 6 shots using a clamp-on bipod resting on the bench, and average about 5 out of 6 shots per cylinder on the 12" gong at 100 yards, standing off-hand. I still have a LOT of practice to do, but I've been really pleased with how versatile this weapon has been for me. I regularly concealed carry it (IWB, behind my left hip at about 8-8:30, butt forward for a cross-draw), I keep it on my nightstand when in bed, and it is accurate and powerful enough to try for a deer this fall if I can do my part).
*/snip*

*edit*

Next time I might also get some footage of me shooting one-handed using a flashlight. I'll show both the Harries grip (flashlight hand crossed underneath the shooting hand, with the backs of the hands together for tension), and the FBI / Modified FBI technique (flashlight held above the shoulder, or above the head / out to the side).

Last edited by Lindenwood; 05-09-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here