Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .40 vs. 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachsquasher View Post
What is the smallest caliber you feel safe carrying for personal protection? Safe as in...this gun will get this guy off me and keep him off.
My carry guns are 9mm and 45acp...I can shoot them both well enough, but the micro 9mm is a lot more convenient to carry. Smaller and lighter frames being preferred, 40sw doesn't make sense for me. I'd rather have a 9mm in a tiny frame. In fact, I'd rather have a 9mm in just about any frame.

I have mixed feelings about 380acp, but I think it'd be adequate at the very least.

I would also have plenty of confidence in 38sp or 327mag.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #12

I would personally feel comfortable carrying a .22LR.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Either round with get the job done. I personally don't care for the 40 because of it's recoil characteristics, sharp and snappy. I found the 9mm easier to shoot then the 40 in the same size gun. I currently don't own either and carry a 45 daily.

The smallest round I would carry would be a 380 or 38+p.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you ever shot or seen anyone shot with a 9mm? I've been part of both in a little town you may have heard of called Fallujah...trust me when I say that a 9mm will kill you.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The simplest and only real answer to this question is whatever caliber/platform of gun YOU shoot well. Buy a quality gun and train with it - the caliber matters much less than your ability to shoot quickly and accurately.

A .44 Magnum won't stop crap if you can't hit the target under stress and a well placed .380 round can end a problem. Not long ago we had a fella claiming he carried twin 1911s with 2 mags strapped to each ankle - I guess if that's what you need to feel secure. Many folks buy a hand cannon that's difficult to conceal and heavy to carry - so they do not carry it 100% of the time. A .22 in your pocket is a tad more effective than the Desert Eagle 50AE you left at home.

BTW, I generally carry a small .380 as it's comfortable and convenient - two factors very important to me. And yes, I have shot it extensively...

Quoted for truth. There is no magic caliber. The one that you shoot best is what you should use. I've got handguns from 22's to 44 mag. any one of these rounds can make a BG fall over. I carry a 45 mosdt days but do have a couple 40's that I will use when the mood strikes me.

I'm not going to want to stand in front of any firearm..No mater the caliber. Because it can put a hole in me! I've known people that carry a 22 and they are dangerous with it. I would not want to carry a 22 but that's just me. I prefer a 45 because I shoot them best. I can make a faster and more accurate follow up shot with a 45ACP. So that's what I have around me most. But I would not feel underpowered with a 9mm or even a 380. The only real advantage the bigger caliber gives me is extended range. And in real world situations this is usually not a factor so it's not as important as many would like people to believe.

Anything shooting from a quality made weapon from a shooter that has trained with that weapon can be effective. Even if some shop owners want to say it';s not so does not make it true.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I personally carry an xd 40 in the truck and a Taurus PT738 380 just about everywhere. I do love the lightweight and concealment I get as compared with the xd40 size and weight.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You put a pistol in the hands of a pistol shooter like NGIB, Cane, Jack or one of our LEO's like Robo, Glass or Scubie and confront them with a man sized target at 10 yards, it won't matter WHAT caliber you give them, that target is going to get some holes in it where they count, but in a hurry.

JD
Man why am I always left out of these lists. I feel so inadequate
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I felt the same way until I took a leak.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Because I haven't seen any of your range reports that were worth a damn.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2684 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 261

9mm vs. .40S&W, why hasn't this come up before?

dead-horse2.gif  
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman