40 cal. ammo for carry - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 40 cal. ammo for carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
What would you say is a safe bet for 40 cal jhp. Ive spent a long time researching the 9mm for self defense, which you NEED find the right ammo with enough punch. Since the 40 has some power to spare are +p's necessary? What would you recomend. Every post helps.
Don't know if this applies here or not. Your close to a State that won't allow you to carry anything other than ball ammo. If you travel, make sure you know the laws of the State you’re in, not the one where you’re from. In fact you have to follow both of them. If you don't, someday you might be in for a surprise.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #12

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanfire View Post
Don't know if this applies here or not. Your close to a State that won't allow you to carry anything...
Fixed that for you. To the best of my knowledge NJ does not honor any other state's CCW permit.

But your initial point is 100% accurate, hollow point ammo is verboten for carry in NJ.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #13

Suggestions for consideration:

After learning and practicing proper shot placement, choose an unbonded 180-gr. HP load that functions reliably in your weapon for best overall performance. IF you insist on a midweight load in 165-gr., make sure it is at least bonded to ensure penetration through the vitals like the 180-gr. load is more apt to do. The 155-gr. Barnes XP Tactical copper loads are the only lightweight bullets in 40 S&W caliber that perform well for performance in Gel, 4-Ply Denim, and Heavy Cloth - areas civilians are likely to face.

Here's a list of a few loads that are above average for CIVILIAN consideration:

************ 40 S&W ************

Winchester Ranger T: LE Only
** 180-gr. HP (RA40T) @ 990 fps

Federal HST: LE Only
** 180-gr. HST HP (P40HST1)

http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...cticalhst.aspx
LE - Wound Ballistics
LE - Wound Ballistic Videos

Remington Golden Saber: Similar to Ranger T
* 180-gr. HP (GS40SWB)

Double Tap:
** 180-gr. Nosler Jacketed HP @ 1,050 fps in 3 ½” barrel or 1,140 fps in 4 ½”.

Black Hills:
** 155-gr. Barnes Tac-XP Copper Jacketed HP @ 1,100 fps

Federal Tactical – Barnes XPB:
155-gr. Barnes XPB Expander Copper Jacketed HP @ 1,030 fps. (T40XB1)

LE - Tactical Barnes XPB

Winchester Supreme Elite: Civilian Version of Bonded Ranger T
* 165-gr. Bonded PDX1 HP (S40SWPDB) @ 1,140 fps

Speer Gold Dot: Also see Double Tap, Georgia Arms, Buffalo Bore, & etc.
* 165-gr. Bonded Gold Dot (23970)

Winchester White Box USA Brand: Low-Budget Load at Walmart – When That’s All You Can Find!
180-gr. HP (USA40JHP) @ 1,010 fps

Aim for the Thoracic Triangle area between the armpits and base of throat.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #14

Suggestions for consideration:

After learning and practicing proper shot placement, choose an unbonded 180-gr. HP load that functions reliably in your weapon for best overall performance. IF you prefer a midweight load in 165-gr., make sure it is at least bonded to ensure penetration through the vitals like the 180-gr. load is more apt to do. The 155-gr. Barnes XP Tactical copper loads are the only lightweight bullets in 40 S&W caliber that perform well for performance in Gel, 4-Ply Denim, and Heavy Cloth - areas civilians are likely to face.

Here's a list of a few loads that are above average for CIVILIAN consideration:

************ 40 S&W ************

Winchester Ranger T: LE Only
** 180-gr. HP (RA40T) @ 990 fps

Federal HST: LE Only
** 180-gr. HST HP (P40HST1)

http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...cticalhst.aspx
LE - Wound Ballistics
LE - Wound Ballistic Videos

Remington Golden Saber: Similar to Ranger T
* 180-gr. HP (GS40SWB)

Double Tap:
** 180-gr. Nosler Jacketed HP @ 1,050 fps in 3 ½” barrel or 1,140 fps in 4 ½”.

Black Hills:
** 155-gr. Barnes Tac-XP Copper Jacketed HP @ 1,100 fps

Federal Tactical – Barnes XPB:
155-gr. Barnes XPB Expander Copper Jacketed HP @ 1,030 fps. (T40XB1)

LE - Tactical Barnes XPB

Winchester Supreme Elite: Civilian Version of Bonded Ranger T
* 165-gr. Bonded PDX1 HP (S40SWPDB) @ 1,140 fps

Speer Gold Dot: Also see Double Tap, Georgia Arms, Buffalo Bore, & etc.
* 165-gr. Bonded Gold Dot (23970)

Winchester White Box USA Brand: Low-Budget Load at Walmart – When That’s All You Can Find!
180-gr. HP (USA40JHP) @ 1,010 fps

Aim for the Thoracic Triangle area between the armpits and base of throat.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #15

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My choices, in order of preference, are:
CorBon 135gr JHP (or 135gr PowrBall)
Remington 165gr Golden Saber
Speer 155gr Gold Dot

Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #16

I found six boxes of 135gr JHP Federal .40 S&W at a ridiculously low price. Me being me, I had to buy all of them.

You didn't mention what you'd be using for a launching platform so, I can only speak from experience I have carrying them in a Glock 22, 23, and 27.

They are dead bones accurate. The 40 has never been outstanding in the accuracy department, but they perfrom better in my Glock 40's than the normal 180gr JHP's I normally carried until I found this stuff. Group sizes have been cut by about a third. Flatter trajectory and whatnot.

Recoil is about the same as a 9mm 124gr at standard velocities, which is to say pretty mild especially in my G27 which has been my BUG for years.

Terminal performance...though I have never used this round on a human target (and hope I never have to)...I have used it on a big coyote (in my G22) that was pestering my horses and on a feral pitbull that was growling at my daughter.

Expansion was wicked and through the shoulder blew apart the heart and lungs, and came to rest under the skin on the other side of the 'yote...I mean it turned in innards into shredded meat. The pit got a quartering round from left chest and the round expanded similarly wickedly from my Glock 27 and the round came to rest on the right rib cage.

I am not recoil sensitive...but at 43...I don't enjoy shooting thumpers as much as I once did. These Federal 135gr JHP's seem to be the magic bullet for me anyway. I really like them. Low recoil, great expansion, good penetration without worrying about it going through and through, it all adds up to a good round.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2400 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 691

"I am not recoil sensitive...but at 43...I don't enjoy shooting thumpers as much as I once did. These Federal 135gr JHP's seem to be the magic bullet for me anyway. I really like them. Low recoil, great expansion, good penetration without worrying about it going through and through, it all adds up to a good round."
Wait till you hit 70.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was just given 300 rounds of Remington Golden Saber hollow points...165 grain I believe. I'll have to check when I get home to be sure. As long as they run well though my new Glock 27 that is what I'll be carrying on me. I carry them in both my 9mm pistols, as well as my .45's...what can I say, a friend of mine works at Remington and gets me awesome deals. I've not had any problems with them in any of my other guns so I don't see a reason not to carry them in my .40 also.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03 View Post
I was just given 300 rounds of Remington Golden Saber hollow points...165 grain I believe. I'll have to check when I get home to be sure. As long as they run well though my new Glock 27 that is what I'll be carrying on me. I carry them in both my 9mm pistols, as well as my .45's...what can I say, a friend of mine works at Remington and gets me awesome deals. I've not had any problems with them in any of my other guns so I don't see a reason not to carry them in my .40 also.
Trust me...they WILL function perfectly in your Glock. The little booger will gobble them up, and spit them out with monotonous regularity. You will find the 165gr weights to be acceptably accurate in your subcompact, and will function without flaw or hiccup.

Carry them with confidence.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #20

Check out Cor Bon 140 grain DPX. This is the round I use and do not believe there is a better round available. Check all the reviews. They are all favorable. It uses the Barnes-X bullet which is proven. All copper. Pretty pricey but when it may mean your life no expense is too great!!

Cor-Bon DPX Handgun Ammunition