40 cal. ammo for carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 40 cal. ammo for carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 40 cal. ammo for carry

What would you say is a safe bet for 40 cal jhp. Ive spent a long time researching the 9mm for self defense, which you NEED find the right ammo with enough punch. Since the 40 has some power to spare are +p's necessary? What would you recomend. Every post helps.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What's more important than the exact bullet brand/pressure is that it works in YOUR gun every time. As long as you choose a good brand bullet you'll get good performance. I'm partial to Gold Dot or Critical Defense ammo as long as my firearms are 100% reliable with them.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

This was posted here a little while ago, and I found it so informative that I bookmarked it. I'll go ahead and repost it for your enjoyment too.

Firearm Discussion • View topic - .40 JHPs vs. Water Jugs

Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

+1 to what Bear said. .40 S&W is a quirky ammo, in my opinion, some weights are a bit snappy in recoil while others are little more than 9mm. What is important is to find a brand and weight that performs flawlessly in your gun and has a manageable recoil. I use Hornady Personal Defense or Plain Jane Federal JHP.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

Winchester Ranger 165 gr SXT, my wife shoots that in her Glock, very popular round in the law enforcement community. WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE MAKE SURE IT RUNS IN YOUR GUN.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm going to echo stalkingbear but if you want a good bullet to look at, try HSTs.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #7

I don't own a .40 but I've done a lot of research personally and read a lot about .45 ammo. HST's and Gold Dot's are the prime stuff in that caliber. I have mostly Gold Dot in my guns but I do have some HST. I get the best performace from Gold Dot in both of my .45's but I load a mag or two with HST's. By far the most amazing ammo I've seen though has been the Gold Dot for short barrels in my carry pistol. It is dead on accurate and it produces a lot more power in a shorter barrel. For my short barrel gun all of my mags are loaded with it.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #8

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

+1 for Gold Dots, I've tried many different and TBH I can't tell the difference other than very subtle snap difference. So I have gone with the research. If you Google it, about 75% of all tests say that the Gold Dots perform better against flesh due to the bonding process, so that's what I use.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #9

Not to be a smart ass, but any ammo that works well in a particular weapon is fine as long as you hit what your aiming at. I guess I'm saying it's not size of the hole, , it's where the hole is.

One other thing, as with the +P and other heavy loads the is the chance of collateral damage as like going through a wall and striking non-involved parties.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #10

I have found that Winchester PDX 1 165gr is great i carry a G23 and these rounds have less snap plus i got to see what they do to a 135lb pig WOW!! they are not the cheapest though but in a SD round price isn't really that important.

Givem hell boys