Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   40 cal. ammo for carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/40-cal-ammo-carry-34853/)

Pjj342 11-27-2010 10:11 PM

40 cal. ammo for carry

What would you say is a safe bet for 40 cal jhp. Ive spent a long time researching the 9mm for self defense, which you NEED find the right ammo with enough punch. Since the 40 has some power to spare are +p's necessary? What would you recomend. Every post helps.

stalkingbear 11-28-2010 12:34 AM

What's more important than the exact bullet brand/pressure is that it works in YOUR gun every time. As long as you choose a good brand bullet you'll get good performance. I'm partial to Gold Dot or Critical Defense ammo as long as my firearms are 100% reliable with them.

king1138 11-29-2010 10:16 PM

This was posted here a little while ago, and I found it so informative that I bookmarked it. I'll go ahead and repost it for your enjoyment too.

Firearm Discussion • View topic - .40 JHPs vs. Water Jugs

Jpyle 11-29-2010 11:08 PM

+1 to what Bear said. .40 S&W is a quirky ammo, in my opinion, some weights are a bit snappy in recoil while others are little more than 9mm. What is important is to find a brand and weight that performs flawlessly in your gun and has a manageable recoil. I use Hornady Personal Defense or Plain Jane Federal JHP.

hcso617 11-30-2010 12:51 AM

Winchester Ranger 165 gr SXT, my wife shoots that in her Glock, very popular round in the law enforcement community. WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE MAKE SURE IT RUNS IN YOUR GUN.

spittinfire 11-30-2010 01:32 AM

I'm going to echo stalkingbear but if you want a good bullet to look at, try HSTs.

King Ghidora 11-30-2010 02:44 AM

I don't own a .40 but I've done a lot of research personally and read a lot about .45 ammo. HST's and Gold Dot's are the prime stuff in that caliber. I have mostly Gold Dot in my guns but I do have some HST. I get the best performace from Gold Dot in both of my .45's but I load a mag or two with HST's. By far the most amazing ammo I've seen though has been the Gold Dot for short barrels in my carry pistol. It is dead on accurate and it produces a lot more power in a shorter barrel. For my short barrel gun all of my mags are loaded with it.

Dizzll 12-01-2010 02:20 PM

+1 for Gold Dots, I've tried many different and TBH I can't tell the difference other than very subtle snap difference. So I have gone with the research. If you Google it, about 75% of all tests say that the Gold Dots perform better against flesh due to the bonding process, so that's what I use.

skyryder 12-01-2010 11:10 PM

Not to be a smart ass, but any ammo that works well in a particular weapon is fine as long as you hit what your aiming at. I guess I'm saying it's not size of the hole, , it's where the hole is.

One other thing, as with the +P and other heavy loads the is the chance of collateral damage as like going through a wall and striking non-involved parties.

staudisglock 12-02-2010 12:39 AM

I have found that Winchester PDX 1 165gr is great i carry a G23 and these rounds have less snap plus i got to see what they do to a 135lb pig WOW!! they are not the cheapest though but in a SD round price isn't really that important.