Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .380 HP, What's the point?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
who says they are kicking your ass, as vs shooting you multiple times, or hacking you to pieces with the crowbar that they used to break in, hmm? jello blocks mean nothing. When you shoot animals, you see nothing like the same performance 'shown" in Jello videos and photos. Don't take my word for it. Pop some chucks, coons, skunks, feral cats,possums, see for yourself. The P232 is larger and heavier than some of today's 9mm's, so why settle for having less than 1/2 as much power as you could have had in a smaller, lighter package, which costs less?

Wonder why so many retired professionals buy the doggone things???

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #32
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
[/B]

Wonder why so many retired professionals buy the doggone things???
Old?
Feeble?
Alzheimer's?
Senility?
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

LOL! Just kidding, Locutus! I imagine they buy the Sig because of the quality and reliability being higher than many other similar guns. weight of a .380 doesn't really matter to them and they may like the weight as a feeling of "quality." Also, many of the cheaper .380s have been harder to find in the market recently. I can see the Sig as a good choice for a professional person with the means to afford it.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Excellent points.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #34

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

[Good shot placement covers a multitude of flaws, including small calibers!! To me, carrying a 380 depends on how accurate you are with the weapon!! 380's kill, but the also can piss the BG off if the placements not lethal!! BG pissed with a bigger caliber might be a problem! I carry a 380 in the summer, but I shoot(range that gun as often as I can

Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
[Good shot placement covers a multitude of flaws, including small calibers!! To me, carrying a 380 depends on how accurate you are with the weapon!! 380's kill, but the also can piss the BG off if the placements not lethal!! BG pissed with a bigger caliber might be a problem! I carry a 380 in the summer, but I shoot(range that gun as often as I can
I practice what I carry, fall and winter I carry a 9mm or 357 mag !! The round from the mag has much more knock down power which doesn't make the first shot quite as critical to be lethal!! Hopefully after he is down 5 more follow shots will do the trick!! The grace from the 15 capacity 9mm is obvious!! But they all have carrying advantages and disadvantages!! Most important thing is to practice what you carry, particularly small calibers!!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #36

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I would choose my Glock 27 hands down wayyyyyy before I chose my .380 bodyguard I'm a fire fight. Because it has larger rounds and more of them. But the bodyguard is just so slim, small, and light it's very comfortable to carry.

The baby Glocks my favorite though.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #37

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

It goes bang and propels a piece of copper covered lead at extremely high speeds that can take down an opponent, with the right placement, thus possibly saving your life.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #38

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Practice with what you like, but buy 12 boxes of Buffalo Bore. Carry these and fire out your mag(s) every season or so. I also swap numbered mags then.

The standard pressure truncated cone FMJ 95 grain or 100 grain Flat Nose hardened lead are nice but if you have a good quality gun, particularly all steel, pistol go with the same, and especially the latter, bullet in 380+P. When they say "+P" they MEAN it. Stop what must be be stopped.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=29
My LCP manual specifically says not to use +P. Tried to give a mistakenly purchased box of JHP +P to my brother who has a Sig .380. His manual says the same thing. No Buffalo Bore for my bug.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator

My LCP manual specifically says not to use +P. Tried to give a mistakenly purchased box of JHP +P to my brother who has a Sig .380. His manual says the same thing. No Buffalo Bore for my bug.
Common sense tells me those little 380s was not designed for hot loads!! Great gun for what they are designed for!! If you want to shoot hotter or bigger rounds buy a bigger gun-

Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #40

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

People forget one thing. The human body does not like any projectile entering it and disrupting things. One round of .380 in center mass is capable of disabling or killing someone. You must also remember to keep shooting until the threat is cleared, this is with any gun. Use good Defensive ammo and a .380 will handle clothing with no problem. Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon Pwrball, Barnes Tactical Defense ammo, etc.