Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > .380 HP, What's the point?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

Do some actual penetration testing yourself. While a 380 is less potent I've seen them get plenty of penetration. Test different ammo. A 380 in a pocket gun is meant for like ten feet. It's a get off me gun. Don't under estimate the 380!

Old 05-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Practice with what you like, but buy 12 boxes of Buffalo Bore. Carry these and fire out your mag(s) every season or so. I also swap numbered mags then.

The standard pressure truncated cone FMJ 95 grain or 100 grain Flat Nose hardened lead are nice but if you have a good quality gun, particularly all steel, pistol go with the same, and especially the latter, bullet in 380+P. When they say "+P" they MEAN it. Stop what must be be stopped.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=29

Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
If you're worried about penetration you shouldnt be carrying a .380, so splitting hairs between hp or fmj is really pointless. I have a .380 that i carry mostly in the summer because carrying my full size 1911 can be rather uncomfortable when its 105 with 90% humidity. I do have two mags worth of hp, but they were given to me by a former coworker. Ive only bought fmj's so far because they're cheaper.
I live here in Southern Florida and I carry the same Gun all year around. It gets very hot and humid during the Summer Months and I don't feel the need to carry a lighter smaller Gun. I always carry my .45 cal Glock 36 every day all day long! It's 95 to 100 degrees all summer long and it does not bother me in the least!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #14

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Burglar enters house at night. Owner hears him, shoots burglar in chest with one round of .380, burglar dies. True story! .380 has even taken down wild pigs. The .380 is not a bad defense gun, I carry either a Bersa Thunder .380 or my Bersa Thunder .32 and feel well protected. No one is gonna take a round or two in center mass from either and laugh at me.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #15

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Q: .380 hp, what's the point?

A: Um..., hollow!?!!!!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1348 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
If you ever need to defend yourself against an attacking block of ballistic gelatin I strongly suggest JHP in a .380. Ballistic gel is the only place I have ever seen a JHP penetrate far enough to do any good. In real life I would either go with FMJ or a mix of the two.
I agree 100%. Of the guns I own the 357 mag is the only one I trust to get the job done with HP ammo.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Has anyone ever seriously looked at Glaser Pow'R ball? From the site (emphasis mine):

"The patented Pow'RBall projectile is a JHP bullet with a polymer ball crimped in the tip. This tip enhances feeding in those finicky feeding pistols but it also delays the expansion of the projectile when it hits soft tissue, making it a more controlled expansion bullet. This controlled expansion gives you deeper penetration, better weight retention and more consistent expansion in soft tissue. The lighter weight projectile also makes recoil recovery much easier for follow up shots."

A hollow point, if it works, will mushroom, dumping its energy faster and not penetrating deeply. If it doesn't expand, it may still flatten because of the bullet shape and either tumble or fail to penetrate. An FMJ has NO chance of expanding, thereby getting much better penetration, but also no expansion or large temporary stretch cavities and has the chance to over-penetrate and injure innocents. With the Pow'R Ball round, the polymer ball nose should cause the round to penetrate deeper before the expansion of the round causes the greater dump of energy and stoppage of the bullet before over-penetration.

Some real-world testing should be done with this round to determine suitability. A gel block with a T-shirt, polo shirt and denim or leather jacket in front of it would tell the tale pretty well.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #18

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Same thing as critical defense ftx.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Same thing as critical defense ftx.
So have you tested it for penetration and expansion?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #20

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
I find Hornady Critical Defense and Corbon Pwrball ammo to work well in my Bersa Thunder .380 they are both hollow points but have either a plastic or polymer filler in the hollow point. You might try a box.
I second the using self defense rounds in any carry weapon, the companies making them work hard to maximize effectiveness and minimize over penetration, it could very well save ur ass in a wrongful death lawsuit if a innocent bystander is killed(and even wounding someone unintentionally will be a lawsuit)