Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   .380 HP, What's the point? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/380-hp-whats-point-90698/)

danolator 05-14-2013 08:41 PM

Hey there. Is there really any advantage to using hollow point ammunition in your .380 mouse gun? I've seen lots of negative comments on going ball-hollow, but no real justification for loading up a mag w/HP. Personally, I think hollow point only in a six round mag could put you at a big disadvantage in a fight where the perp is wearing extremely heavy clothing.

johnr1943 05-14-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danolator (Post 1246789)
... using hollow point ammunition in your .380 mouse gun? I've seen lots of negative comments on going ball-hollow, but no real justification for loading up a mag w/HP. Personally, I think hollow point only in a six round mag could put you at a big disadvantage in a fight where the perp is wearing extremely heavy clothing.

Well, maybe it would be better to use it only during the warmer months. :D

Biohazurd 05-14-2013 08:55 PM

Any caliber under 9x19 gets FMJ or other round nose ammo for me. My lcp barrel is so dang short you cant expect much penetration. Just my method of doing things.

Doc3402 05-14-2013 09:16 PM

If you ever need to defend yourself against an attacking block of ballistic gelatin I strongly suggest JHP in a .380. Ballistic gel is the only place I have ever seen a JHP penetrate far enough to do any good. In real life I would either go with FMJ or a mix of the two.

hardluk1 05-14-2013 09:23 PM

Well if your lifes not worth a box or 5 of 380 dpx bullets for saving a life then nope fmj are fine. Practice with cheaper fmj shoot enough good quality hp ammo stuff know it will not be any worse than fmj and then carry the best bullet you can find . Also companies like corbon , underwood and buffalo bore do make a better load than say, win, fed, rem and a few other bigger companies. .

dragunovsks 05-14-2013 09:44 PM

If you're worried about penetration you shouldnt be carrying a .380, so splitting hairs between hp or fmj is really pointless. I have a .380 that i carry mostly in the summer because carrying my full size 1911 can be rather uncomfortable when its 105 with 90% humidity. I do have two mags worth of hp, but they were given to me by a former coworker. Ive only bought fmj's so far because they're cheaper.

gr8oldguy 05-14-2013 09:44 PM

Here's an excellent reason to carry hp in a 380. About two years ago there was an argument at a bar that proceeded to move to the parking lot. Two men and a woman were involved, pushing and shoving began. One of the fools pulled his 380 and shot the other using ball ammo. The round went through the man's body and hit his girlfriend who was standing behind him. Both people died from their wounds. I think a hp might have prevented at least one useless death. This all happened in Wisconsin, btw. The guy who did the shooting got 7 years for negligent homicide.

eatmydust 05-14-2013 10:07 PM

My 1st two rounds are JHP IN MY .380. If the 1st double-tap doesn't do the trick then it's FMJ, JHP, FMJ, JHP, FMJ.

danolator 05-14-2013 10:08 PM

Excellent points. I do think the quality of the HP ammo might make some difference. BTW, I am a proponent of the Ball-Hollow approach.

cluznar 05-18-2013 02:55 PM

I find Hornady Critical Defense and Corbon Pwrball ammo to work well in my Bersa Thunder .380 they are both hollow points but have either a plastic or polymer filler in the hollow point. You might try a box.