You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

.380 defence rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, if you're going to use your firearm to engage a subject who presents a threat to your life, I'd worry more about adequate performance to do the job rather than over-penetration, which is unlikely in the .380.

Here is some food for thought:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/182318-best-380-self-defense-ammo.html

Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7455 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 594

I use fmj in my 380s. Its the only round in a 380acp that gets through 12" of matter in every test ive ever seen.

380hp ammo doesnt perform well if solid objects like clothing and bones are hit. Remember the badguy is not likely going to stand there with a perfect profile. The goblin will often be wearing hoodies, will always have his arms in front of his chest pointing a firearm at you or someone else. Fmj is the only round in 380 acp that goes through all that for 12" reliably enough in that cartridge.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #13

Liked 389 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 199

One addition to my earlier comment is in line w this thread; a Ranger commented on the Range Test by writing he received a call about a Black Bear being shot 5 times at close range w 380 fmj. They found the Bear dead and were surprised the light caliber got the job done.

Just an observation. I shoot Remington's Home Defense -102 gr and Critical Defense - 90 gr. and the polymer insert in the latter feeds really well BUT I am disheartened about the primer issue AND rather pissed off about Hornady's lack of response.

Like many sportsman, I just assumed a first class outfit w have a customer service to match and I would respectfully request anyone (moderator) w computer skills to copy this thread and send it to them.

The old axiom on the two worst sounds in the world, a click when your expecting a bang and a bang, when you are expecting a click.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
One addition to my earlier comment is in line w this thread; a Ranger commented on the Range Test by writing he received a call about a Black Bear being shot 5 times at close range w 380 fmj. They found the Bear dead and were surprised the light caliber got the job done.

Just an observation. I shoot Remington's Home Defense -102 gr and Critical Defense - 90 gr. and the polymer insert in the latter feeds really well BUT I am disheartened about the primer issue AND rather pissed off about Hornady's lack of response.

Like many sportsman, I just assumed a first class outfit w have a customer service to match and I would respectfully request anyone (moderator) w computer skills to copy this thread and send it to them.

The old axiom on the two worst sounds in the world, a click when your expecting a bang and a bang, when you are expecting a click.
I still have the remaining seven rounds (out of a 25-round box) in the original box if you can somehow get Hornady interested.....

BTW, I had already put over 400 rounds of FMJ through the LCP to break it in, and they ran flawlessly, so I don't think one can blame the gun.

Last edited by treehugger49; 02-11-2012 at 05:04 PM.